Oops Chris

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes people distrust what she says? Also, of course it would not be exactly ten times a day, every single day. Take that as a ball-park figure. Qualitative rather than precisely quantitative.

The exact quote was "ten times a day, without fail", "and that's just a fact". Sounds like a horrible job.

It seems strange that they are saying that the sort of behaviour Chris Gayle is guilty of is such a regular occurrence for them, I watch a lot of sport and see a lot of female journos conduct a lot of interviews and I don't see that sort of thing happening very often.

If it happened as often as they say wouldn't there be more overblown controversies like the Chris Gayle one? The fact this has become such a huge story would suggest it isn't a very common occurrence.

Do you think the fact it happened live on air has raised its profile.

Journalists call players, managers, agents, coaches, officials and fellow journalists for information all the time. They might met up with someone in a café, at training, in the change rooms, in a hotel suite. They are standing with people before and after live interviews, giving cues, being social etc.

They pass in hallways at studios, at sporting clubs, completely randomly and incidentally.

They give their number out to all manner of sources. Some receive texts in the middle of the night asking them to come to the hotel and have a drink, and a first refusal is met with further requests. Some female sports journalists are cut off by sources for spurning advances, something male journos very rarely face.

I'm not making this stuff up. I've read these accounts by sports journalists here or overseas.

What is an amusing brief joking interview to some is a boorish, tiresome, annoying reality for others. It just so happened to be thrust into the spotlight because he did it on live TV. It's hardly the flagship example of sexual harassment, it's just a catalyst for discussing the wider issue.

Bear in mind, when they talk about every day or 10 times a day, they are not just talking about clubs and players. They are talking about colleagues, employers, and all manner of peripheral personnel as well. It is in their capacity as a journalist they are talking, not just interviewing players on TV.

- It was a bit of harmless fun
- She is hot and works in the media so she has to cop this
- He is a cricketer and can do what he wants in interviews
- Everyone is racist
- Not harassment cause its not a workplace

We can add

- I have no idea what its like to be belittled in my workplace everyday but i reckon i would put up with it so she should as well... baby.

Hyperbole of the highest order.

- It was a bit of harmless fun
- She is hot and works in the media so she has to cop this
- He is a cricketer and can do what he wants in interviews
- Everyone is racist
- Not harassment cause its not a workplace

We can add

- I have no idea what its like to be belittled in my workplace everyday but i reckon i would put up with it so she should as well... baby.

how about just leave it at, Chris Gayle wished to band Mel McLaughlin, but he got knocked back, and he pushed it too far, and on air. The final element is the inappropriate element. But when Gayle is unaware of social mores and workplace professionalism, it is perfectly understandable from his position. Not saying it was unacceptable. It is not like Gayle will have unwilling suitors, but he definitely will not be lacking in the willing suitor variety neither

not that simple. Gayle is 36, and I dare say his nocturnal partners this BB season will outnumber his age. His actions are enabled and hagiographised [sic] on multiple levels. He is not Kobe Bryant and OJ Simpson who walked free from rape and murder. He was just clumsy, borderline disrespectful, and a boor. Sam Newman has behaved this way for two decades on prime time TV and is lauded for his persona. And enriched.

How did Gayle act like this? It is perfectly understandable if people seek to unpick the layers and all the elements. By placing Chris Gayle in a 2016 corporate urban workplace environment, makes this issue moot.

But be honest that he committed no crime, but he has been held to a standard that Warne and Franklin and Russell Brand wont be. But this is the way of the world, he is gonna be crucified for this act that was merely very clumsy at worst. I am sure Kelli Underwood would like the opportunities afforded to MM, or Pauline Menczer.

There is so much happening here. This is meant to be funny right? Like ironically funny.

not that simple. Gayle is 36, and I dare say his nocturnal partners this BB season will outnumber his age. His actions are enabled and hagiographised [sic] on multiple levels. He is not Kobe Bryant and OJ Simpson who walked free from rape and murder. He was just clumsy, borderline disrespectful, and a boor. Sam Newman has behaved this way for two decades on prime time TV and is lauded for his persona. And enriched.

How did Gayle act like this? It is perfectly understandable if people seek to unpick the layers and all the elements. By placing Chris Gayle in a 2016 corporate urban workplace environment, makes this issue moot.

But be honest that he committed no crime, but he has been held to a standard that Warne and Franklin and Russell Brand wont be. But this is the way of the world, he is gonna be crucified for this act that was merely very clumsy at worst. I am sure Kelli Underwood would like the opportunities afforded to MM, or Pauline Menczer.
Ten's crocodile tears certainly do them no credit. But will get them off the hook while one guy carries the can for the industry.

The people with real power to change things will not be held to account.

The exact quote was "ten times a day, without fail", "and that's just a fact". Sounds like a horrible job.
Hey, maybe she does actually cop this ten times a day.

Follow her around and do a survey.

Hyperbole of the highest order.

The sad thing is its not really

how about just leave it at, Chris Gayle wished to band Mel McLaughlin, but he got knocked back, and he pushed it too far, and on air. The final element is the inappropriate element. But when Gayle is unaware of social mores and workplace professionalism, it is perfectly understandable from his position. Not saying it was unacceptable. It is not like Gayle will have unwilling suitors, but he definitely will not be lacking in the willing suitor variety neither

I dont even know where to start here. He shags heaps so its understandable, his workplace is different so how was he to know, its not unnacceptable (implying it was acceptable), other chicks will still shag him so who cares. Surely you can read your own comments and shake your head a little?

Don't forget other people (journalists and players) have said he has a history of pushing it too far.

You have to realise that it could be the smallest of things. Calling her 'babe', 'hun' or something in passing. A wolf whistle. Leering. Talking at her chest, not her face. A joking comment about her gender. In isolation they are minor and are brushed off. Over time, there is just a flash of annoyance at each. The point is that their gender or physical appearance is the issue instead of the job they are doing at the time.

Do you think the fact it happened live on air has raised its profile.

Journalists call players, managers, agents, coaches, officials and fellow journalists for information all the time. They might met up with someone in a café, at training, in the change rooms, in a hotel suite. They are standing with people before and after live interviews, giving cues, being social etc.

They pass in hallways at studios, at sporting clubs, completely randomly and incidentally.

They give their number out to all manner of sources. Some receive texts in the middle of the night asking them to come to the hotel and have a drink, and a first refusal is met with further requests. Some female sports journalists are cut off by sources for spurning advances, something male journos very rarely face.

I'm not making this stuff up. I've read these accounts by sports journalists here or overseas.

What is an amusing brief joking interview to some is a boorish, tiresome, annoying reality for others. It just so happened to be thrust into the spotlight because he did it on live TV. It's hardly the flagship example of sexual harassment, it's just a catalyst for discussing the wider issue.

Bear in mind, when they talk about every day or 10 times a day, they are not just talking about clubs and players. They are talking about colleagues, employers, and all manner of peripheral personnel as well. It is in their capacity as a journalist they are talking, not just interviewing players on TV.
but it is sports journalism. the poor cousin of serious reportage. And how often are those lines crossed, where the professional and personal are merged. An inferior version of JAmes Carville and Mary Matalin, or Kate Ellis and David Penberthy which is an inferior version of the former.

Ten's crocodile tears certainly do them no credit. But will get them off the hook while one guy carries the can for the industry.

The people with real power to change things will not be held to account.

I note that Chris Rogers called 10 on it though.

You have to realise that it could be the smallest of things. Calling her 'babe', 'hun' or something in passing. A wolf whistle. Leering. Talking at her chest, not her face. A joking comment about her gender. In isolation they are minor and are brushed off. Over time, there is just a flash of annoyance at each. The point is that their gender or physical appearance is the issue instead of the job they are doing at the time.
like Reese Witherspoon? Election

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but it is sports journalism. the poor cousin of serious reportage. And how often are those lines crossed, where the professional and personal are merged. An inferior version of JAmes Carville and Mary Matalin, or Kate Ellis and David Penberthy which is an inferior version of the former.

You've gone through so many iterations and now youve basically resorted to "he didnt commit a crime" and "her job is a poor version of this job so who cares".

Go slap a female co-worker on the ass at your job and use those defences, go on, try it.

I'm paraphrasing here cause you really are putting up some horrific, shallow points and someone needs to point it out.

Next thing you will be deriding video game journalism!

It's either okay or it isn't. It's not like these reporters have a job giving out lap dances in a club and complaining about harassment. There is still a more clearly defined line there.

Hey, maybe she does actually cop this ten times a day.

Follow her around and do a survey.

Maybe. Maybe she should document it and do an exposé. I mean, instead of casting Chris Gayle as the Devil.

There seems to be plenty of moral support around for changing the status quo.

Maybe. Maybe she should document it and do an exposé. I mean, instead of casting Chris Gayle as the Devil.

There seems to be plenty of moral support around for changing the status quo.
Maybe the power structure in her industry makes this impossible to do and keep her job. Whistle-blowers aren't popular.

this binary does not exist in the real world.
Fine ignore that and address the clearly defined line that should still be expected in a field such as sports journalism whose primary focus is sports not sexual attraction.

Don't forget other people (journalists and players) have said he has a history of pushing it too far.
yeah, so there should be a proactive strategy.

And how did Warnie sleep with the thousands, and the captain sleep with 50 in the Caribbean. It was not because they were backward in coming forward. This is the milieu these men perform in. I am not approving, nor am I explicitly disapproving them. But it is a bit much when the ABC sports journo talks about Peter Moody and Black Caviar and never talks about the doping, and then comes out with the motherhood statements re: Gayle and this issue. There is no universalism in their position. Call out Brand, call out Franklin, call out Warne, call out the hypersexualised milieu of professional sport.

I am neutral on all of this. It is outside my orbit, and I am content with this.

The times they are a changin'.

What was may not always be. Social acceptance is not set in stone and social change usually occurs for the better, if not from an individual perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back