Oops Chris

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, this is satire? If so well played. If not i dont understand how you function outside of a 60's sitcom.
I am not justifying CG action, I have said that he comes from a certain milieu, and it is ironic when all the Australian sportsmen have been feted and no one has every called them out. Apart from the HUN going Warne and Franklin on one occasion each for some shock tabloid Murdoch MO.

00-FB-Share-Pic6.jpg

This pic was seen all over the place back in December, did anyone think at Channel Ten it might not be a bad idea to keep "hot" Mel away from Mr super cool?

Gerard Whately aint exactly an exciting media commentator. He is the epitomy of boring. mogadon missionary position.
He does inspire a certain amount of relaxation.

00-FB-Share-Pic6.jpg

This pic was seen all over the place back in December, did anyone think at Channel Ten it might not be a bad idea to keep "hot" Mel away from Mr super cool?
I have a photo of me dressed as Han Solo for a party.

What should I be kept away from? Princesses?

no, I mean use rhetoric, speak of this possibility of his employer sanctioning him because he failed to meet his professional duties

I am not saying MM invokes the Renegades contractual clause

You want her to cite a clause she can't be sure exists in a contract she had nothing to do with during a bog standard interview to avoid his actions... And you don't see any problem with the fact she has to do that to ask him about his innings.

Yes that would be a good issue to explore. Why does it happen to some and not others? Did she mean during interviews or day to day? Did it happen in the past and stop once she was experienced in the industry? Did it never, ever happen to her?
Or maybe - just maybe, Neroli was exaggerating? :p

no, I mean use rhetoric, speak of this possibility of his employer sanctioning him because he failed to meet his professional duties

I am not saying MM invokes the Renegades contractual clause
Yes. On air. During a 30-second talk.

Totes realistic.

So who monitors these things? Surely there is a governing body or union which oversees the rights of media employees? Can't they be prodded to do something like WorkSafe belatedly did at Essendon?

Agree here. Since the problem is clearly systemic in media, I look forward to them shining the light of truth on their own industry. All of these things that happen but journalists are too scared to report them officially. :eek:

Scripted entertainment. I'm not a massive fan of the movie however.
well, I was not saying "do you like Reese Witherspoon. do you like Election." It was word association. I was merely commenting on your avatar and The Male Gaze by feminist film theory academic Laura Mulvey. since you commented on response compartmentalising journalism duties and sexual enviornment
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male_gaze

Next thing you will be deriding video game journalism!
I think the ABC tv program had a little reverse discrimination contretemps on their program Good Game when they replaced one of the male hosts with a female host. There were two male hosts. The kept the more youthful and better looking male host, and replaced the older uglier male host with a younger female host. how's them apples

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You want her to cite a clause she can't be sure exists in a contract she had nothing to do with during a bog standard interview to avoid his actions... And you don't see any problem with the fact she has to do that to ask him about his innings.
talking hypotheticals brah.

I am saying, slap him down next time with mental dexterity. I am not giving you the proforma or 101slapdown. As I have said before, I think there must be a mature (fully formed mature) tactic in journalism wrt how you handle a difficult mark. How did Leigh Sales push Abbott to answer the question when he was rabbitting on about stopping the boats with his turncoat immigration minister morrison n alliterationz

So who monitors these things? Surely there is a governing body or union which oversees the rights of media employees? Can't they be prodded to do something like WorkSafe belatedly did at Essendon?

Yes. There is a sexual discrimination body and Worksafe can intervene over workplace harassment. It's not easy to prove however so education from the top down is always the best method.

Hoping this creates a greater willingness. Certainly network execs have to pay heed and sporting organisations pay more than lip service.

But ... it has to be reported consistently, not wheeled out anecdotally.

And you heard them talk about the things they do to laugh it off.

There is no doubt that this behaviour is indulged in by members of both sexes.

But there are lines that people have. And they have different lines with different people.

All Gayle had to say was "I was playing up to the cameras like I always do, but it got out of hand and I said something offensive. I am truly sorry and I'm sorry for any hurt or harm I caused."

Not "If someone was offended by my joke..." blah blah non-apology.

Sorry is the most overused word in the English language, alongside love and hate. I'd rather he apologized the way he did, where there was at least a scintilla of sincerity on his part, rather than come out with a manufactured apology to appease SJW's etc that is nothing more than window dressing.

He can be sorry she was upset/offended by it, but not sorry he said it. As I've said before, all the outrage in the country can be dumped on Chris Gayle's head, but I don't see this leading to any change of behaviour on his part in future. So to give the apology you're looking for would be total hypocrisy and yet again devalue the word, both on a collective and personal level.

Maybe the did not complain because they did not want to be characterised as whining women who can't take a "harmless joke"?

Perhaps but in most workplaces any form of sexual harassment is taken very seriously these days so if it's a major problem for female employees and they complain they won't just be dismissed as whining women and the problem will be addressed.

Also with female sports reporters that are working in male dominated sporting environments with a lot of cocky famous testosterone fueled male sports stars they probably accept that there will be a certain amount of flirting going on that would be above what you would expect in a normal office job. If they can't tolerate that then they are probably in the wrong line of work, it's not really a job for the sensitive, thin skinned or easily offended.

no, not calling him out. You repeat the question for a third time, then you resort to some other tactic.

He did answer the questions, he just laced it with the other stuff. Her only tactic was to ask the next question or end the interview.

Ambiguity is defs where you wanna sit on a matter like equality or workplace sexism or even your own views on harassment in general especially when you take the road of swapping flawed arguments and comparatives to rapists. I'll admit I was wrong about you, I thought you were one note but you're actually just scatter gunning a million tried and true blokism and hoping one sticks

I think Gayle has paid a high price. for that, I am insistent.

I think Mel McLaughlin, was in an invidious position, and Gayle has zero social awareness.

You can trace this back to Kate Fitzpatrick and Kerry, and KF had some "pairing" with Imran around the 80s. If you see to deny sport as a hypersexualised environment, you as a St Kilda supporter are a fool. This does not mean MM had it coming, or she deserved it, or could have solved this temporal quandary on air. That would have required a true dexterity that would p'raps have been beyond Sales or Albericci or Trioli. P'raps the behind the scenes team at Ten met their first clumsy, with a pushback overwhelming clumsy^2. And the response was neither deft

I think the ABC tv program had a little reverse discrimination contretemps on their program Good Game when they replaced one of the male hosts with a female host. There were two male hosts. The kept the more youthful and better looking male host, and replaced the older uglier male host with a younger female host. how's them apples
His work visa ran out I believe.

Yes that would be a good issue to explore. Why does it happen to some and not others? Did she mean during interviews or day to day? Did it happen in the past and stop once she was experienced in the industry? Did it never, ever happen to her?

Look, it quite clearly happened with Bravo when she was hosting on Fox Sports. It was set up by the male reporter to send a message to Mel back in the studio. It was mild, Hi to the beautiful Mel, I see she is still beautiful' kind of stuff. She was clearly embarrassed but she hosting a panel and it was Ricky Ponting next to her who said 'well that was a little uncomfortable'. She laughed it off and said to him 'it was uncomfortable for you' with emphasis on those last two words.

At that time making light of it might have been the way she handled it. Over time she might have had a change of mind. She may have been wary of Gayle's reputation so she reacted more strongly when it happened.

I think her focus is on respect as a professional, not on being a victim. If she makes herself out to be a regular victim, she may become known for that. This is what Melinda Farrell was saying ... that Mel can't really say anything here but has to say something. Mel has gone the line of least resistance here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back