Oops Chris

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inb4 "victim blaming".

I pose this to try and understand why many players are apparently hitting on journalists. Is it common for journalists to sleep or flirt with sports stars? Are there female journalists out there copping unwanted flirting/advances from men who have been reciprocated often by other journalists?

With the success that these guys seem to have in the bar scene I do not see why they feel the need to s**t where they eat.

I have a photo of me dressed as Han Solo for a party.

What should I be kept away from? Princesses?
After seeing the latest movie, the script would make a good start! Gayle was portrayed as the cricketing playboy all through this summer's BBL advertising. He was a creation of the marketing department at both Ten and the BBL, now that he has stepped over the line Ten boss David Barham won't have him miked up anymore while he is on the field, so their decision is to punish the fans at home?:rolleyes: It was an incident just waiting to happen as Gayle played his role out just as he was intended too, once the furore erupted and the whinging took hold Gayle was done for as those creators all ran for cover, disowning their man completely. Now the fans can't hear him comment when he hits a huge six anymore. Might as well send him home now or place him in the stocks.

talking hypotheticals brah.

I am saying, slap him down next time with mental dexterity. I am not giving you the proforma or 101slapdown. As I have said before, I think there must be a mature (fully formed mature) tactic in journalism wrt how you handle a difficult mark. How did Leigh Sales push Abbott to answer the question when he was rabbitting on about stopping the boats with his turncoat immigration minister morrison n alliterationz

Oh im sorry i must have misunderstood your extremely specific example of what she could have done as a make your own adventure. FWIW everyone i have seen has praised her professionalism for the way she handled it so i dont know why you are bringing up the point that she should or could have done something differently cause sportsman gonna sportsman (i actually do and so do you). What happened was a catalyst for a much larger conversation one that you dont seem to get at all.

I think Gayle has paid a high price. for that, I am insistent.

I think Mel McLaughlin, was in an invidious position, and Gayle has zero social awareness.

You can trace this back to Kate Fitzpatrick and Kerry, and KF had some "pairing" with Imran around the 80s. If you see to deny sport as a hypersexualised environment, you as a St Kilda supporter are a fool. This does not mean MM had it coming, or she deserved it, or could have solved this temporal quandary on air. That would have required a true dexterity that would p'raps have been beyond Sales or Albericci or Trioli. P'raps the behind the scenes team at Ten met their first clumsy, with a pushback overwhelming clumsy^2. And the response was neither deft

So some reporter in the 80's hooked up with a cricketer, you know what a reporter might be hooking up with a sportsperson right now that doesn't give carte blanche for all sportsmen to be exonerated from this sort of behaviour with women in the media or women on the street. Cite all the examples you want of two consenting adults hooking up outside of the workplace it doesn't have any relevance to this at all.

Last edited:

Inb4 "victim blaming".

I pose this to try and understand why many players are apparently hitting on journalists. Is it common for journalists to sleep or flirt with sports stars? Are there female journalists out there copping unwanted flirting/advances from men who have been reciprocated often by other journalists?

With the success that these guys seem to have in the bar scene I do not see why they feel the need to s**t where they eat.

Ego. I'd say in a lot of instances, and maybe even this one, it's about the conquest.

As the recently departed Lemmy once sang 'The chase is better than the catch'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watermelon_stereotype

It's not an Australian stereotype and Gayle is not American, but it's a stereotype I'm familiar with and I'm sure many others are. Obviously we had the watermelon kid and there's every chance it's just a coincidence, but it is unfortunate.
Yeah it is borderline. The association of watermelon helmets etc in cricket crowds may give some plausable deniability.

FWIW everyone i have seen has praised her professionalism for the way she handled it so i dont know why you are bringing up the point that she should or could have done something differently cause sportsman gonna sportsman (i actually do and so so you).

What ultimately cost Gayle $10K is the fact she didn't take it in her stride.

Perhaps but in most workplaces any form of sexual harassment is taken very seriously these days so if it's a major problem for female employees and they complain they won't just be dismissed as whining women and the problem will be addressed.

Perhaps this very public discussion will make it even easier to this to happen. However, I suspect most of the time they don't want anybody to get in trouble. Don't want to be seen to complain about individuals and strain working relationships, but would prefer that the behaviour just stopped.

Also with female sports reporters that are working in male dominated sporting environments with a lot of cocky famous testosterone fueled male sports stars they probably accept that there will be a certain amount of flirting going on that would be above what you would expect in a normal office job. If they can't tolerate that then they are probably in the wrong line of work, it's not really a job for the sensitive, thin skinned or easily offended.

Regardless of what is or what has been, it is not acceptable to expect anybody to go to work prepared to receive and accept sexual harassment. Why should a female journalist with a specific interest in sports be forced to make a decision not to follow that career path because testosterone fuelled males think they are fair game to be propositioned?

thats-racist.gif

Not purely because of that. I'd say the live TV and the public look of what also contributed.

She did not try to fuel it, did not try to excuse it. Said she was disappointed and was glad for the talk on the issue generally. She handled it very professionally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not purely because of that. I'd say the live TV and the public look of what also contributed.

She did not try to fuel it, did not try to excuse it. Said she was disappointed and was glad for the talk on the issue generally. She handled it very professionally.

I thought it had been fairly well established on this thread that if she'd taken it in good humour or responded in kind that this 'conversation' wouldn't be happening?

So some reporter in the 80's hooked up with a cricketer, you know what a reporter might be hooking up with a sportsperson right now that doesn't give carte blanche for all sportsmen to be exonerated from this sort of behaviour with women in the media or women on the street. Cite all the examples you want of two consenting adults hooking up outside of the workplace it doesn't have any relevance to this at all.

Work colleagues are hooking up as we speak in offices everywhere too. If one makes an unwelcome advance though, and the other one complains ... we have a problem. So a lot of workplaces frown on any sort of fraternisation between employees, because the chances of something going wrong and a harassment complaint being made is a risk they don't want to take.

After seeing the latest movie, the script would make a good start! Gayle was portrayed as the cricketing playboy all through this summer's BBL advertising. He was a creation of the marketing department at both Ten and the BBL, now that he has stepped over the line Ten boss David Barham won't have him miked up anymore while he is on the field, so their decision is to punish the fans at home?:rolleyes: It was an incident just waiting to happen as Gayle played his role out just as he was intended too, once the furore erupted and the whinging took hold Gayle was done for as those creators all ran for cover, disowning their man completely. Now the fans can't hear him comment when he hits a huge six anymore. Might as well send him home now or place him in the stocks.
Yes, definitely crocodile tears from Ten.

I do wonder if she had made an epic comeback what the headlines would have been. Possibly a lot of "you go girl" stuff and other things about Gayle getting owned etc and less focus on workplace harassment.

Sure. You do understand what 'magnitude' is, right?

You do realise that one does not diminish the other as an issue though right?

There is nothing to say that people should concentrate on the biggest news story or the most catastrophic news story and not on any others. Sure, we can use world events to find perspective when it comes to what we worry about, however that is almost irrelevant on a discussion forum such as this.

The topic exists. When one side pushes telling people it's a non-story and to get over it, there will be push back from people who don't believe it is a non-story and do think it needs to be discussed.

If one side stops pushing, the other side will soon run out of objections. The only question is which side stops pushing. The one that thinks that outrage about sexual banter is overblown, or the ones that think that those offended by sexual harassment while they are working should not be. If you are somewhere in the middle and see shades of grey, then you won't be annoyed by either side continuing the discussion.

I have to ask though, does having to read something in the papers, see it in an internet thread, or watch another few minute rehash on TV cause more annoyance to the viewer than multiple sexual harassment examples causes to a recipient? Why is our annoyance at having our news cycle interrupted greater than the issue that is interrupting it?

This notion ... can't believe we are still talking about it, get over it etc, seems a little selfish at heart. Just ignore stuff that you don't wish to view or read about.

I do wonder if she had made an epic comeback what the headlines would have been. Possibly a lot of "you go girl" stuff and other things about Gayle getting owned etc and less focus on workplace harassment.

I think so. More a case of 'she can handle herself, don't worry about her'. Might have done the issue a huge disservice, although her colleagues may have still commented the same way ensuring the issue was talked about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back