Open letter to Mr Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you mean the right thing? Collingwood offered him that contract and he is within his rights to stand his grounds.

No offense but your speaking from the cheap seats. If your boss asked you to take a pay cut when you've got a agreement in place would you oblige?
I would for sure. If I’m underperforming and potentially preventing the team from attracting additional players and ultimately delivering success, then of course I would.

If I was performing as I was when I signed the deal, and the best in the country then yeah I don’t think we’d be having this conversation.

Successful teams are made up of top end players that take pay cuts.

That is just shithouse people management.

"Take a paycut (from a contract we willingly gave you) or find somewhere else)"
Yes a legacy issue, cause by Eddie’s ego I reckon. Sign him at all costs, at the time there was a lot of pressure on the club and it would have been a good look for him or the board if he left.

This is despite seeing the best clubs of the last 2 decades letting players go they couldnt afford. Geelong and Hawthorn didn’t miss a beat without Ablett and Franklin.

Yes a legacy issue, cause by Eddie’s ego I reckon. Sign him at all costs, at the time there was a lot of pressure on the club and it would have been a good look for him or the board if he left.

This is despite seeing the best clubs of the last 2 decades letting players go they couldnt afford. Geelong and Hawthorn didn’t miss a beat without Ablett and Franklin.
Teams that had already won multiple flags aren't really comparable to us in that situation, are they?

This is true. Which makes our list management issues that much more embarrassing!
Does it? I would think the confidence of winning multiple flags in recent years (as the Hawks and Cats had when losing Franklin and GAJ respectively) would allow for more ruthless list management decisions

Brisbane, Geelong, Hawthorn and Richmond are all clubs that kept their lists - not only together, but improved on them during periods of success.

Luke Hodge was on radio just last week saying Clarko was up front with players saying they'd take unders if they want to keep the team together for sustained success.

Our coach has spent time at 3 of those clubs and we already see the environment he's creating as well as the moves Graham Wright has been making. It should be no coincidence the rumours of Grundy being shopped around are happening the way they are.

Call it keyboard psychology all you like, I just call it as I see it based on things like history. Simply fact is, Grundy's contract is a noose around our neck for the next 5 years and will prevent us from both keeping this list together as well as improving on it. It's not that difficult to see where this is heading and why.

I may be making an assumption about the culture, but it seems like a pretty logical one. Again, look at the clubs I referred to at the start. All clubs that had players taking unders to be part of a sustained successful club. The only major exception (that we know of) being Dustin Martin, who - lo and behold, we see rumours of him leaving too. They lost Higgins, Butler, Coleman-Jones, Chol all around the time and post Martin's contract signing. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.

But if we're trying to create an environment and culture where people want to genuinely be at Collingwood and accept unders to be at Colligwood, how does Grundy's million dollar contract not fly in the face of that? How would you feel being a post-McRae player being encouraged/asked to take significantly less than you'd get at a rival club to help keep a successful team together all the while Brody is there on almost a mill a year for the next 5 (while also having significantly reduced performance output)?

The notion of “taking unders” is more about agreeing to a lesser contract when there are bigger offers available elsewhere. Agreeing to a reduction of a previously agreed contract is a very different concept.

If he is being asked to take a cut, Grundy is completely justified in declining. That is business.

Calling the Grundy contract a noose around our neck is complete hysteria. From a list management perspective, the “extra” few hundred thousand he has agreed to versus what he might be “worth” on the market right now will not make a material difference in and of itself.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That’s what I mean, we have found ourselves managing salary cap issues without any success.
Essendon would kill for the success we have had over the past five years.

The notion of “taking unders” is more about agreeing to a lesser contract when there are bigger offers available elsewhere. Agreeing to a reduction of a previously agreed contract is a very different concept.

If he is being asked to take a cut, Grundy is completely justified in declining. That is business.

Calling the Grundy contract a noose around our neck is complete hysteria. From a list management perspective, the “extra” few hundred thousand he has agreed to versus what he might be “worth” on the market right now will not make a material difference in and of itself.

Sounds like a lot of hogwash to me. It's simple, he's over paid and he's not worth what he's being paid. Even the club doesn't think he's worth it. you sound like the hysterical one. We all know he doesn't have to take a pay cut. Taking unders, is exactly that. ffs, he's being shopped around

Sounds like a lot of hogwash to me. It's simple, he's over paid and he's not worth what he's being paid. Even the club doesn't think he's worth it. you sound like the hysterical one. We all know he doesn't have to take a pay cut. Taking unders, is exactly that. ffs, he's being shopped around

If you don’t see a difference between agreeing to a contract at less than could be received elsewhere and varying a previously agreed contract, then we can leave it there.

Silly me, I was under the understanding that contracts had value in the professional world.
Big contracts come with KPI’s too. When the ROI diminishes, you act. Effective people management in large teams is about driving performance outcomes and nothing saps energy quite like an overpaid underperformer. ATM, Grundy is overpaid and in any other industry, this conversation happens. I hope we keep him, not a hater.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I am a staunch supporter of Eddie and bucks I was against change. But even I recognised at the time that the list management was a disaster. And my view is that is all Eddie, not letting the bakers bake the bread…or putting Hine in charge of negotiating deals.

Yeah, I am a staunch supporter of Eddie and bucks I was against change. But even I recognised at the time that the list management was a disaster. And my view is that is all Eddie, not letting the bakers bake the bread…or putting Hine in charge of negotiating deals.
Where does former head of Football Department Geoff Walsh fit in?
Wasn't he running the show day to day?

Silly me, I was under the understanding that contracts had value in the professional world.
Maybe you should remember how Beams treated the club because he had a contract, whether you agree or not I think there is actually is a case to expect some sort of discount for less than 3 premium seasons in a row. I think most of us would be happy if he took an amended amount with condition that his renumeration could improve with better form.

What do you mean the right thing? Collingwood offered him that contract and he is within his rights to stand his grounds.

No offense but your speaking from the cheap seats. If your boss asked you to take a pay cut when you've got a agreement in place would you oblige?

What do you think happens in a down turn and employers ask their employees to take leave without pay or enforce annual leave. Or got to a 4’day week. Many work places have gone down this path. For the betterment of the organization.

Yeah you can stand your ground. But that won’t end well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you think happens in a down turn and employers ask their employees to take leave without pay or enforce annual leave. Or got to a 4’day week. Many work places have gone down this path. For the betterment of the organization.

Yeah you can stand your ground. But that won’t end well.

can vouch for this!

That’s your problem. Seeing success in not winning Flags. Just ends in acceptance of mediocrity.

There is only one measure of a successful club. And you know what that is…..

Premierships. That’s all that counts.

That’s your problem. Seeing success in not winning Flags. Just ends in acceptance of mediocrity.

You lost me when you posted that you don't drink. It's over Ron. There is no future for us.

This is just a falsehood. There is so much more that football clubs do these days, whether it be community programmes, womens & wheelchair football, or the business side.

You lost me when you posted that you don't drink. It's over Ron. There is no future for us.

I don’t do many things that may seem conventional. That shouldn’t create barriers. Not unless you are a tea-totalitarianist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back