Open Mike 2019 episodes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Last night, I saw Brendon Goddard telling Mike how him & Rooey used to get really frustrated at teammates for not taking footy as seriously as they did and not being "on their level". (There was more. He went an and on about it...) "Misunderstood" my arse... He really is an arrogant w@nker and a $hit bloke. That wasn't just a false persona I'd gleaned from watching footy and disliking him on a superficial level. He is every bit as bad as he appeared on the field. Unlikeable and incredibly full of himself.

Last edited:
Last night, I saw Brendon Goddard telling Mike how him & Rooey used to get really frustrated at teammates for not taking footy as seriously as they did and not being "on their level". (There was more. He went an and on about it...) "Misunderstood" my arse... He really is an arrogant w***er and a s**t bloke. That wasn't just a false persona I'd gleaned from watching footy and disliking him on a superficial level. He is every bit as bad as he appeared on the field. Unlikeable and incredibly full of himself.

Can't remember anyone ever calling him misunderstood. It was clear to everyone that his professionalism got in the way of friendships at the club, and he's spoken about that before in the past, too.

Can't remember anyone ever calling him misunderstood
Yeah, well I can. His St Kilda mates in the media, Nicky Dal and Roo said that after Goddard was copped s**t from everyone for his post-game pretzels petulance and again when he edged closer to his retirement . People had cast aspersions on his leadership and saying if he was better bloke then Essendon might keep him for another year despite his time being up.

Last night, I saw Brendon Goddard telling Mike how him & Rooey used to get really frustrated at teammates for not taking footy as seriously as they did and not being "on their level". (There was more. He went an and on about it...) "Misunderstood" my arse... He really is an arrogant w***er and a s**t bloke. That wasn't just a false persona I'd gleaned from watching footy and disliking him on a superficial level. He is every bit as bad as he appeared on the field. Unlikeable and incredibly full of himself.

It was certainly something I hadn't heard a player say before. Still processing exactly how I feel about it.

Was it just hard work that made him and Rooey better players? Surely there is more to it than that.

It was certainly something I hadn't heard a player say before. Still processing exactly how I feel about it.

Was it just hard work that made him and Rooey better players? Surely there is more to it than that.
They were both number 1 picks in the national Draft - both gifted with superior athleticism and natural ability. Sure, they worked hard on their craft and on their fitness, but it's unreasonable for them to think that every teammate should be putting in equal to them. Good leaders unite the team and help others around them get the best out of themselves, become better players and make their team better. They don't put themselves on another level and look down on their teammates.

Goddard was crap in the first 5 years of his career from 2003-2007. I remember there were a few Saints fans on his back and saying that he wasn't living up to his talent. He was very good through those "successful" St Kilda years under Ross Lyon, but I would contend that his football career was something of an underachievement - only one best and fairest (in an average Essendon team in 2013) and just 2 All Australian selections (2009, 2010). Those 2 years were the only time he polled more than 10 votes in the Brownlow, finishing 12th and 15th with 14 votes.

He was bloody good, but maybe if he wasn't so big-headed, he could've been better.

Last edited:
Bloke is a dead set w***er, that is obvious.

Has only ever won 1 b&f and that was in effectively an Essendon VFL side. Was pretty average for his first four or five years and only really turned it on for a few years in a great team.

Was a good player but not a star like he seams to think

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You Tube must be trying to lift standards then.

Shehan I dont bother watching. How he made a career out of football journaliam amazes me.

Yeah, as far as his abilities as a TV personality I agree with you but you hear some stories on that show that you wouldn't hear anywhere else. Don't think David Schwartz would describe in detail how he saw his father murdered in front of him on The Front Bar.

That bit was a strange comment considering all of Riewoldt, Hayes, Dal Santo and Montagna all had superior careers.

Even someone like Fraser Gherig (who he played with for 5 seasons) was well above him.

Sam Fisher and Luke Ball both won Saints B&F's while he was there, were both All-Australians as well.

Steven Baker won one and finished 3rd in another.

He never won one.

So yeah, potentially he had the 8th best career record during that period....

Bloke is a dead set w***er, that is obvious.

Has only ever won 1 b&f and that was in effectively an Essendon VFL side. Was pretty average for his first four or five years and only really turned it on for a few years in a great team.

Was a good player but not a star like he seams to think
I agree. I reckon he's grossly overrated.

Haven't enjoyed this seasons eps so far but I think it's a good show. Sheahan is good at what he does. All I see is people slag someone off whether it's commentary or journo's. I've said the same thing about commentators, who are the good one's then? If you want them out, who would do their job better? Because Bruce Rioli might have his best days behind him, but he still does a good job as any.

As a guy pointed out, you wouldn't see stuff like Schwarz's dad getting murdered on tv if it wasn't for Sheahan.

Enjoyed all of the Hayes, Chamberlain and Goddard interviews. Whether you like them or not, it's very insightful and interesting TV. Might not agree with everything Goddard & Ray have done over their careers, but hey it's good to hear their perspective - and as mentioned by someone earlier Ray's interview did resonate and change my opinion on him.

Enjoyed all of the Hayes, Chamberlain and Goddard interviews. Whether you like them or not, it's very insightful and interesting TV. Might not agree with everything Goddard & Ray have done over their careers, but hey it's good to hear their perspective - and as mentioned by someone earlier Ray's interview did resonate and change my opinion on him.

I think the show is hampered by time constraints. Needs to be an hour really to get into more detail.

He's often had players who played half their career outside of the VFL and hardly mentioned that part of their life.

For Goddard, there wasn't a heap about his juniors or coming into the AFL as the number 1 pick with the Carlton having the sanctions.

Nothing on Malcolm Blight, st kilda school girl situation, or Ross Lyon's departure. Could have gone way deeper on the 2013 season too.

Say what you will about Goddard, but at least he is unflinchingly honest. Alot of people try and use Open Mike as a forum to victimise themselves or rationalise their past errors. Goddard knows hes not the most loved bloke and he has an attitude but at least he says what hes thinking and doesn't beat around the bush. Agree these needs to be longer, wish they were in podcast format. Howie games is ok but he goes too soft on them.

As other posters have mentioned, I don't particularly like Sheahan (or his interviewees) but this show is compelling viewing. I actually like the 'human interest' side of things, where they talk about things other than their footy career.

I haven't watched any 2019 eps yet, but hopefully they pop up somewhere in due course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back