Toast Open Mike- Denis Pagan

Remove this Banner Ad

He had to say he wanted to coach Carlton when he left. Maybe he did.

But it doesn't really matter. It just seems kind of sad now.

Lesson to be learned? Do not disrespect the unique culture of the Roos. We may not be the richest, but we have the best football culture.

Denis played roulette and lost.

He also has a streak of bully in him, but it's something that was an asset to his coaching.

I reckon the events surrrounding his axing from North as a player and subsequently missing out on a premiership burned in his guts and shaped him in to the man he became.

Bit rich of him to talk about lack of success since he left. In his last three seasons North was humiliated in a QF then heroically made a PF to be flogged (a feat repeated in 2007), then missed the finals, then scraped in to be soundly beaten in the first week (again, results which have been repeated since). And it's surely unarguable that his recruiting and player development contributed significantly to the list's performance in the seasons that followed his departure as well as during his own tenure.

Denis was the right coach for the time onfield, to get the best from some brilliant players and build a strong team and gameplan around them, and his record of seven PFs in a row may never be beaten. If he had combined that with media skills, or we had had a better off field team to turn onfield dominance into support, membership and income, the club could have been in a very different position.

Yep, thats as how I recall it too.

iirc Denis started his football career at Carlton during his youth when he was 12 or so years old before coming to North later in life as a senior player.

And he reffered to that when he went to Calrton and said he always had an ambition to coach them.
Yep. Barassi said he wasn't up to it, so then he went to North and played for us. Must have been rapt when Barass followed him a few years later!

Yep. Barassi said he wasn't up to it, so then he went to North and played for us. Must have been rapt when Barass followed him a few years later!

I would have liked Mike to ask him about his relationship with Barass. The way I recall it Barassi got rid of Pagan at Carlton and after the losing GF to Richmond in '74 did the same at North. IIRC Denis wasn't a bad footballer. He played for Victoria in the days when North were wooden spooners and 2 players from each club were selected for the state game, but Parkin and Sheedy were also back pocket players in the same era and both are considered pretty handy footballers. Also after leaving North, Pagan got a game at South so he did have some cred as a player.

And it's surely unarguable that his recruiting and player development contributed significantly to the list's performance in the seasons that followed his departure as well as during his own tenure.

That's a fair swipe there H2H. Generally sides that play in 7 straight Preliminaries are likely to at some point fall away fairly dramatically due to the cumulative effect of crap draft picks. Who should Dennis have recruited that he didn't (or shouldn't have recruited)?

I agree that his swipe re "they haven't had any success since I left" was pretty ordinary (and un-Pagan like really) but to suggest his list management decisons/development approach led to the fall is a big call IMO.

That's a fair swipe there H2H. Generally sides that play in 7 straight Preliminaries are likely to at some point fall away fairly dramatically due to the cumulative effect of crap draft picks. Who should Dennis have recruited that he didn't (or shouldn't have recruited)?

I agree that his swipe re "they haven't had any success since I left" was pretty ordinary (and un-Pagan like really) but to suggest his list management decisons/development approach led to the fall is a big call IMO.

Not so much that he should have done things differently - the most important thing was to win as much as possible while we had the team. I guess it's more that the club was in decline before he left and would have stayed down if he'd stayed, so it was nothing like his suggestion that all his time was great and things went bad as soon as=because he was gone. Really poor, self-serving comment.

Thought it was piss poor for Mike to dredge up the Kelli Stevens affair again, talk about raking over old coals, though I reckon Denis said that Stevo had to move on, can anyone confirm this?
Another thing was the Ryan Pagan angle of the interview, what was Mike digging for there?, why not ask Denis about the future of the game, current coaching tactics, current players, Carey's status in the game, but no Mike went for the Caro angle, as I said a piss poor interview.
Denis made one salient point about the problems with current day Australia and that people now take no responsibility for their actions.
Maybe a career in politics awaits.

Carey spent a fair bit of time in Ch 13 of his book detailing the Ryan Pagan events.

Like I said ^^^ they probably chat for 2 hours and edit it down to 20 odd minutes so who knows what was else said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

‘Your mum and dad shouldn’t have had you’: 10 AFL greats reveal biggest ever sprays

David King vividly remembers a few sprays from former North Melbourne coach Denis Pagan.
David King vividly remembers a few sprays from former North Melbourne coach Denis Pagan.Source: News Limited

DAVID KING

“Denis Pagan said to Corey McKernan when he was having a rough patch: ‘Listen, Corey, there are only two reasons why you run under the footy. One is because you misjudged it and let’s not talk about the other one.’

“He also gave me a massive bake after the 1994 qualifying final, which we lost in extra time. I marked the ball with 10 seconds to go in the fourth term and was 75 out because I thought I was 55 out. I thought I had a chance. I lost my bearings at Waverley and the game was drawn and then we lost in extra time and Wayne Carey did his calf.

David King and Denis Pagan.
David King and

“So the next week was the Gary Ablett mark over the top of Mick Martyn. We were out in straight sets. Carey was on one leg.

“He came up to me after the match and said: ‘I don’t think we needed the extra 10 minutes last week, son.’ That was cutting. It sat in my guts all summer.”

CAMERON MOONEY

“It was the 1999 Grand Final and there was five minutes to go. I finally got the call to go back on the ground after spending three quarters on the bench. I’d had 0 disposals to this point.

“I ran on and Simon Beaumont ran in front of me and I elbowed him and gave away a free kick.

“The runner came out and dragged me, even though we were 30 points up and about to win a flag.

Cameron Mooney … after the Denis spray.

“I had the phone handed to me. Denis Pagan called me everything under the sun, but what stuck me with me most was this: ‘Your mum and dad shouldn’t have had you!’

“He was three minutes away from becoming a dual premiership coach!”

‘Your mum and dad shouldn’t have had you’: 10 AFL greats reveal biggest ever sprays

David King vividly remembers a few sprays from former North Melbourne coach Denis Pagan.
David King vividly remembers a few sprays from former North Melbourne coach Denis Pagan.Source: News Limited

DAVID KING

“Denis Pagan said to Corey McKernan when he was having a rough patch: ‘Listen, Corey, there are only two reasons why you run under the footy. One is because you misjudged it and let’s not talk about the other one.’

“He also gave me a massive bake after the 1994 qualifying final, which we lost in extra time. I marked the ball with 10 seconds to go in the fourth term and was 75 out because I thought I was 55 out. I thought I had a chance. I lost my bearings at Waverley and the game was drawn and then we lost in extra time and Wayne Carey did his calf.

David King and Denis Pagan.
David King and

“So the next week was the Gary Ablett mark over the top of Mick Martyn. We were out in straight sets. Carey was on one leg.

“He came up to me after the match and said: ‘I don’t think we needed the extra 10 minutes last week, son.’ That was cutting. It sat in my guts all summer.”

CAMERON MOONEY

“It was the 1999 Grand Final and there was five minutes to go. I finally got the call to go back on the ground after spending three quarters on the bench. I’d had 0 disposals to this point.

“I ran on and Simon Beaumont ran in front of me and I elbowed him and gave away a free kick.

“The runner came out and dragged me, even though we were 30 points up and about to win a flag.

Cameron Mooney … after the Denis spray.

“I had the phone handed to me. Denis Pagan called me everything under the sun, but what stuck me with me most was this: ‘Your mum and dad shouldn’t have had you!’

“He was three minutes away from becoming a dual premiership coach!”
Denis would have half the current list in the feotal position within 30 mins.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Denis would have half the current list in the feotal position within 30 mins.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

.....and we would be contending for the premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back