1980GFVideo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2004
Heidelberg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
He is honest about his own experiences. Good watching and even gets a part II on Sunday. Going to start talking more about relationships with people.

He cant believe he cant get a media gig. Loved the way he is irked by those that are getting media gigs. Looks pretty desperate to use this segment to get one. I wonder if guys like Kirk and Ling are blokes that have him pissed off.

Must be a number of players laughing at the fact that the gigs have dried up on retirement.

I thought someone would take him like Sunday footy show. Dont they always look after the blokes who do the footy show as players. If Nathan Brown can get a gig I thought Acker would get one with that audience or has he really damaged himself too much.

If Nathan Brown can get a gig I thought Acker would get one with that audience or has he really damaged himself too much.

Pretty much. Nobody will touch him because he's a loose canon who cares more about being heard than what he says. I used to like his fearless attitude but he pushed it too far at the wrong times. He's burned all his bridges.

I reckon his comments about Jim Stynes were the last straw.

Taking pot shots at someone as revered and respected, particularly a couple of days after his passing, was probably the end of the road for a lot of people.

I don't reckon he would have any currency in the footy media as a) he wouldn't accept a gig where his views would be sanitised/muted and b) the network in question would be on tenderhooks every time he opened his mouth.

Shame really - 325 games, 3 premierships, Brownlow Medal, 4 x All Australian. Magnificent playing record, but it is the mouth that people remember.

M.S "Have got any regrets?"

J.A "No, I don't have any regrets about anything"

M.S " But you said before you regret all those things that you have said and done"

J.A "Well yer, I regret most of it....but in the right context I don't regret it"

Thick as a brick. He should forget about any type of public speaking. He tries hard, but the more that comes out of his mouth, the dumber he sounds.

He should just go buy a fish and chip shop or something and retire to the quiet life..

I think he is probably a decent bloke in his own way but regardless of how he talks about learning from his mistakes history shows he never has, as he did the same things again and again with his ridiculous comments in the media. There were many times he was caught out lying about players and incidents that happened on the ground. How can you trust anything he says!

I don't feel sorry for him that he can't get a job in the media because it's his own fault.

But one thing is for sure he is certainly an interesting character.

found the comment about adam cooney very intriguing...not wanting to de-rail the thread but the dogs were always the 3rd or 4th best team in those couple of seasons, drawing a long bow there.

he is honest but as people alluded to before, he is not overly intelligent but not an idiot either, i see him more as a pseudo-intellectual, talks the talk but does not walk the walk

found the comment about adam cooney very intriguing...

Yeah, he made it sound like the dogs group was quite naive, would be interesting to hear Barry Hall's thoughts on the dogs, seeing as he moved from a successful club as well.

Also thought his comment on teammates getting straight into coaching and not being up to scratch was funny.

He has burned his bridges, but, Wayne Carey slept with his best mate's wife and has been in trouble numerous times with different misdemeanors taking drugs etc.. However, he is on a Fox Footy show!

Haven't seen the full interview, but he's still easily one of the most compelling figures in the game, and not quite in the same sad soap opera way that Fevola and Cousins are. This is a man driven by his convictions, which are occasionally warped.

Saw the brief Cooney segment, where "if you drop the media, you could be a four time premiership player." Extraordinary if true.

Haven't seen the full interview, but he's still easily one of the most compelling figures in the game, and not quite in the same sad soap opera way that Fevola and Cousins are. This is a man driven by his convictions, which are occasionally warped.
It's the same sad soap opera way-just different. He is getting more and more desperate to remain relevant post -footy. We know it. And now it has started to dawn on him. Watch for more pathetic "aker" related buffonery in the next 12 months. As he increasingly begins to understand his limitations as a human being.
This soap-opera has got plenty left in the tank:thumbsu:

It's the same sad soap opera way-just different. He is getting more and more desperate to remain relevant post -footy. We know it. And now it has started to dawn on him. Watch for more pathetic "aker" related buffonery in the next 12 months. As he increasingly begins to understand his limitations as a human being.
This soap-opera has got plenty left in the tank:thumbsu:

Yes, but this is purely the man. The others are intoxicated and have other problems that cloud and prompt their judgement. With Akermanis, that is all there is. It's just him, and what he says, thinks, and does, without another force inspiring this or that.

Even on a pure football opinion level, it's interesting to hear candor (from Aker? Surely not) from someone who has gone to a very successful club, to an unsuccessful club and see how different the clubs are fundamentally, and how different football hierarchy was at the start of the decade to the end of it. Akermanis talks a lot of s**t, but when he talks about the Bulldogs it doesn't sound improbable or all that far divorced from the kind of Leading Teams stuff that the likes of Darcy constantly espouses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember that Akermanis did two separate interviews, on different days, about Stynes, using the same "nasty" terminology in both of them, the first on 5AA which escaped some scrutiny, and then the next day on the QLD radio station (can't remember it right now). Cornes took him to task about it, but he continued to repeat the term and did it again the next day.

For a guy who perpetuates this idea that he is a polished media performer, it is telling how many times he talked about not getting his point across effectively or as he would have liked.

Saying lots of words in a short amount of time doesn't make you a good media performer.

To an extent, he may have shot himself in the foot by overexposing himself to the media whilst still being a player. By trying to mix the two, he put what he had at risk. He had years to be a media performer, he wasn't ever going to be able to play football forever.

That's purely from a "career strategy" point of view, though. I didn't have a particular problem with him mixing the two at the time, never thought it affected his football, and really think that it would only affect the WB as much as they wanted to let it affect them.

Even on a pure football opinion level, it's interesting to hear candor (from Aker? Surely not) from someone who has gone to a very successful club, to an unsuccessful club and see how different the clubs are fundamentally, and how different football hierarchy was at the start of the decade to the end of it. Akermanis talks a lot of s**t, but when he talks about the Bulldogs it doesn't sound improbable or all that far divorced from the kind of Leading Teams stuff that the likes of Darcy constantly espouses.
They were fundamentally alike in one action-sacking him. :thumbsu:

Pretty sure the dogs took the leading teams idea from a few successful clubs at the time.

It does sound like we've got a few goody two shoes on the playing list though. I wouldn't have thought cooney was one of them though which surprised me.

The great sides that win finals are somewhat arrogant and tough and will get in your face. That's been lacking at the dogs since the Wallace era.

Pretty sure the dogs took the leading teams idea from a few successful clubs at the time.

It does sound like we've got a few goody two shoes on the playing list though. I wouldn't have thought cooney was one of them though which surprised me.
Cooney is still relatively young and hasn't tasted premiership success. His only crime is one of naivety. It was a "good try" if not somewhat misguided.

I don't feel sorry for him that he can't get a job in the media because it's his own fault.
I don't feel sorry for Aka. I feel sorry for us.

The clowns who run the football production at Channel 7 prefer to hire bland vanilla wastes of space like Tom Harley and Cameron Ling instead of getting someone decent in the commentary booth - someone who is interesting, insightful and intelligent.

The clowns who run the football production at Channel 7 prefer to hire bland vanilla wastes of space like Tom Harley and Cameron Ling instead of getting someone decent in the commentary booth - someone who is interesting, insightful and intelligent.

What he said.

M.S "Have got any regrets?"

J.A "No, I don't have any regrets about anything"

M.S " But you said before you regret all those things that you have said and done"

J.A "Well yer, I regret most of it....but in the right context I don't regret it"

Thick as a brick. He should forget about any type of public speaking. He tries hard, but the more that comes out of his mouth, the dumber he sounds.

He should just go buy a fish and chip shop or something and retire to the quiet life..

Bit harsh, and not exactly what he said. What he meant was that the 'bad' things he has done he doesn't regret because if he hadn't done them he wouldn't have learnt from them. Pretty simply, really. He'd rather learn from his mistakes than regret it and wish it never happened because that is a) pointless and b) then you don't learn from it and you just dwell on it. And I have to agree with him.

I thought it was a great interview, usually open mike is a letdown for me but he spoke his mind and kept me engaged, not often achieved by open mike. I will be watching the extended edition on Sunday.

If only life was as simple as that. The reality is C7 & Fox Footy are going to hire people who will work according to their company values and not someone that may bring them negative publicity or even possibly see them involved in law suites. That is the risk of Jason Ackermanis.

So while I agree it would be interesting to have him give special comments on the coverage I can also understand why the networks wouldn't risk it when there are other people out their who can do the job the way they want it done. Even if it seems bland to you with their current crop of ex-players who provide special comments.

just sayin.

Aker only hits one of the three, i'll let you work out which one :p

Aker's a tough one.

He truly isn't afraid to say what he thinks which is largely refreshing - but then he goes and says something way over the top which ruins some of the pearls he does come up with

For mine - I reckon he is bang on the money in regards to his time at the Bulldogs. There appears to be an obviouls clique there that he clearly didn't gel with. It's also a clique that seemed to have a very mushy centre.

In many ways Aker is way ahead of his time in terms of his attitude towards money/club commitment etc. I don't think many could ever question his work ethic and commitment to being a professional footballer. His comments were simply, I'm there to be a footballer, as long as I get the best out of myself - I am fulfilling my duty to the club - it's a very american view to have. It is also the path I think football is heading to - albeit very slowly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back