FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't mind the Kouta one but I found it interesting that he fell out with pagan to the point they don't talk anymore, and then his new coach in Ratten didn't want him at the club, not even for free. There's a common demoninator there.
Not really. Kouta isn't the only player to have issues with the way Pagan went about it in that time.

As for Ratten, that's a bit confusing. I'm guessing that the club wanted to move on from the dark days of 2002-2007 and didn't really want one of the recognisable figures of that period heading straight into the coaches box. I do recall Kouta's huge salary being something that angered some fans as he got towards the end of his career.

It was his athleticism and marketability that has lead to the myth of Kouta being this magical greek footballing god.

For some reason people got excited by the fact he could hold a football in one hand ....... as someone who held a basketball in one hand, this didn't excite me all that much. I'll never forget that lame ceremony when he and John Nicholls were out on the ground and Kouta was standing there, holding the ball up in the air with one hand, and the crowd going nuts :)

Not really. Kouta isn't the only player to have issues with the way Pagan went about it in that time.

As for Ratten, that's a bit confusing. I'm guessing that the club wanted to move on from the dark days of 2002-2007 and didn't really want one of the recognisable figures of that period heading straight into the coaches box. I do recall Kouta's huge salary being something that angered some fans as he got towards the end of his career.

Heres a random thought, maybe they just didn't think he was cut out for it.

Listening to the guy talk wouldn't fill me with confidence in his coaching potential.

Nothing was ever Geoff Raine's fault. Bullshit he can't remember exact figures too, the bloke remembers ever dollar he's earned.

Of course he remembers, he said that "I can't remember figures" with a laugh - I have no issues with him not disclosing any money he earned, that's his business.

Another quality show with Raines - he was a magic player and in some ways a victim of circumstance, the circumstance the garbage-fire the Tigers became when he was at his peak. With no disrespect to Tigers fans because they had no control over it, its sort of just that the club has gone through the drought they have when they basically threw away players like Raines.

I enjoyed that one, didn't know his story really

Insight to the decline of Richmond in the 80's and GR's power

He was probably the big reason for their dominance and the big reason why they fell from one of the top perches. I don't know if I followed the Tiges how I would feel about him, but I would at least start with being conflicted!

He was probably the big reason for their dominance and the big reason why they fell from one of the top perches. I don't know if I followed the Tiges how I would feel about him, but I would at least start with being conflicted!
By the sounds of it, I can't blame him

Sounded like he was being very underpaid by his standards and ability and then after B&F's in flag years they go and pay someone else double to play his role
I'd leave too

Of course he remembers, he said that "I can't remember figures" with a laugh - I have no issues with him not disclosing any money he earned, that's his business.

Another quality show with Raines - he was a magic player and in some ways a victim of circumstance, the circumstance the garbage-fire the Tigers became when he was at his peak. With no disrespect to Tigers fans because they had no control over it, its sort of just that the club has gone through the drought they have when they basically threw away players like Raines.

No s**t he can remember. Raines confirmed himself as a mercenary (if he hadn't already) tonight. Mike let him off too, when the vast majority of 80's footballers showed loyality and toiled away at the their 9-5, Raine ruined his football legacy by chasing coin.

No s**t he can remember. Raines confirmed himself as a mercenary (if he hadn't already) tonight. Mike let him off too, when the vast majority of 80's footballers showed loyality and toiled away at the their 9-5, Raine ruined his football legacy by chasing coin.

lol, the footballers from the 80's I know were "mercenaries" if you could call it that. You have to remember these guys had day-jobs and the profession was much more precarious because career-ending injuries were much more prevalent. I can't blame Raines for chasing $, and I thought he explained what happened fairly well, but haters gonna hate.

loyalty doesn't pay the bills. esp when your loyalty is returned by someone else being brought in and paid more than you are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Enjoyed Geoff Raines' episode tonight.

Finally there wasn't fence-sitting or false modesty.

Interesting to note him being part of Footscray's zone at one stage.

Also, the first Little League in about 1966 with Steven Smith I'd read somewhere but thought it was interesting.

Would watch it again.

Raines always struck me as an interesting but rather abrasive character and that continued on tonight's ep.

I don't know what his issue is with his son and Richmond; he says he treated footy like a business but seemed unhappy when Richmond were like that with Andrew who iirc was an OK player but nothing more.

Re: the HOF, I'm pretty sure how Raines' career went awry in the second half and he played for four different clubs in six years has overshadowed his excellence and why he isn't in it yet.

It's a pity as even in his later years with the Bears he played quality footy but the messiness of the club-hopping overshadows it a bit.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't know what his issue is with his son and Richmond; he says he treated footy like a business but seemed unhappy when Richmond were like that with Andrew who iirc was an OK player but nothing more.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

From what I have been told by someone inside the camp, Geoff Raines liked to offer advice to his son more than most parents would and Andrew paid more attention to him then he did his own coaches which caused some friction.

Yeah, I do recall Geoff Raines being quite vocal at the time of Andrew's falling out with the club which seemed fairly unusual. At a guess I suspect he was still distrustful of Richmond and its administration.

Back to the show, the bit with Raines and his sponsorship arrangement of Richmond's Punt Road development was a bit curious; did Geoff really think the whole centre was going to be named after him (or the section named after Maurice Rioli)? Seemed a lot more to that than what Mike or Geoff said publicly.

I noticed Geoff suggesting Brian Taylor was one of the players who left after the 1982 season; actually he left after the 1984 season and Bourke was long gone as coach; also I'm pretty sure Mike say Richmond finished 13th in 1983, a fair achievement in a 12-team comp! (they finished 10th).

Last edited:
No s**t he can remember. Raines confirmed himself as a mercenary (if he hadn't already) tonight. Mike let him off too, when the vast majority of 80's footballers showed loyalty and toiled away at the their 9-5, Raines ruined his football legacy by chasing coin.

Yep.

Raines was an out and out gun player. But the mercenary tag was well deserved.

His attitude reminds me a little of this fellow 80's super star.

Always remember him from watching the 82 Grand Final video as a kid a growing up. Geez he looked a silky quality player in that game when a bunch of the rest of them were slopping around in the rain and hall.

He was pure silk.
Wonder why their midfield could not have been just Rioli, Raines and Weightman back then. Why was Raines pushed out of the centre square?
Cannot remember whom was Tigers ruck rover back then.

By the sounds of it, I can't blame him

Sounded like he was being very underpaid by his standards and ability and then after B&F's in flag years they go and pay someone else double to play his role
I'd leave too

Yep , made total sense what he said.
Paid half what the other guy was getting when you knew you were in the same bracket of class.
He did the right thing by his family but in football sense he had a few years that just went into limbo which was a bit of a shame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back