FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes he was.

He and Mike Richardson bailed on Collingwood when asked to take a pay cut.

Fair enough that they were contracted and legally they were entitled to force Collingwood to honour it but Collingwood was on its knees, almost insolvent and the players across the board were asked to take pay cuts to keep the club viable not just those two. Everone else accepted that (most of whom were getting paid significantly less than them as well) but not them.

You can call it sticking to his guns but he left Collingwood in the lurch at our time of crisis. If he had the wherewithal to stick around short term he would've been there for our late 80's resurgence (on field and off) and he likely plays another flag and gets the rewards fiscally as well. Instead he finished his career playing carnival football in front of bugger all people una s**t side.

Raines isn't held in the regard as a footballer that he should be because of those monetary driven choices. I'm sure many at Richmond feel the same way same as me.

I do recall Kouta's huge salary being something that angered some fans as he got towards the end of his career.

The way Carlton handled Kouta's salary was disgraceful.

Essentially he got paid alot less than he could have, on the basis he would be on a bigger contract the next round, which was also back ended. This was back when Carlton were paying above the salary cap.

The moment things started going pear shaped, they started leaning on Kouta to take a pay cut, and when he didn't budge they leaked it to the press to put more pressure on him.

IMO he should have held his ground. He wasn't being paid for the current years but also for previous years when he was massively underpaid.

He was pure silk.
Wonder why their midfield could not have been just Rioli, Raines and Weightman back then. Why was Raines pushed out of the centre square?
Cannot remember whom was Tigers ruck rover back then.

Wiley?

Looks like Barry Rowlings was their ruck rover that year when looking at AFL table stats for 1982.
Wiley kicked 40 goals for season so as I said looks like he was mainly forward, changing roving with Weightman. 1982 one of the most enjoyable grand finals I seen. Quality contest between two heavy weights at the time. Wayne Johnston back from 2 week suspension was the knockout blow that was the difference in the end. Gee he could play when the stakes were at their highest.

Speaking of Wayne Johnston I could be wrong, but think him and Geoff Raines were quite good mates from probably living in Queensland in similar period in early 1990s after their careers over.

There's a French saying that if you want to understand a man's motives, you should "cherchez la femme" ('look for the woman').

In Mike's case, it should be "cherchez l'argent" - look for the money.

It's practically all he ever asks about and reflects such a narrow point of interest.

andrew was a spud. probably should of got more from us to stay but maurice was a super player

Was he ever. Left us way too early.

As a bonus was an absolute top shelf boxer, too. Kept his cards pretty close to his chest with his skills, but occasionally when a bit of trouble spilt over on the field you got a fair idea of how well he could look after himself.

No doubt had to put up with plenty of racially motivated *%#@ too. Those were slightly different days.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was he ever. Left us way too early.

As a bonus was an absolute top shelf boxer, too. Kept his cards pretty close to his chest with his skills, but occasionally when a bit of trouble spilt over on the field you got a fair idea of how well he could look after himself.

No doubt had to put up with plenty of racially motivated *%#@ too. Those were slightly different days.

yeah there is a story going around that he belted wacko jacko

There's a French saying that if you want to understand a man's motives, you should "cherchez la femme" ('look for the woman').

In Mike's case, it should be "cherchez l'argent" - look for the money.

It's practically all he ever asks about and reflects such a narrow point of interest.

I remember someone saying a while back how in every OM he always asks how much someone was paid and ever since then can't help noticing how fascinated with the topic he is.

Yes he was.

He and Mike Richardson bailed on Collingwood when asked to take a pay cut.

Fair enough that they were contracted and legally they were entitled to force Collingwood to honour it but Collingwood was on its knees, almost insolvent and the players across the board were asked to take pay cuts to keep the club viable not just those two. Everone else accepted that (most of whom were getting paid significantly less than them as well) but not them.

You can call it sticking to his guns but he left Collingwood in the lurch at our time of crisis. If he had the wherewithal to stick around short term he would've been there for our late 80's resurgence (on field and off) and he likely plays another flag and gets the rewards fiscally as well. Instead he finished his career playing carnival football in front of bugger all people una s**t side.

Raines isn't held in the regard as a footballer that he should be because of those monetary driven choices. I'm sure many at Richmond feel the same way same as me.

Agree. And I can't help but wonder whether a prime reason why he wasn't that welcomed at the Dons was because of that reputation, especially as he'd replaced some loyal club stalwarts.

Would be curious to know what Dons players thought of him that year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didnt ask Rainsey about Coleen Hewitt and ensuing Richo dustup at Collingwood training.

Guy i worked with was training there at time and saw it.

Actually Michael Richardson would be a pretty good Open Mike guest; lot of talent, pretty good VFL career but drifted from club to club and probably wasted his talents; and by accounts post-career has been tough.

Would be like Mark Eustice except a bit better player.

brad hardie
shane woewoedin
nick holland ( was very interesting on jyb)
gerard healy
brent harvey (prob be on in 2018)
david king
brad johnson (prob wouldn't want to lose nice guy image)
scott cummings (4 clubs must have some stories)
david cloke for the lols
stewart loewe
richard Osborne
brian taylor (has he been on?)
robert walls (has he been on?)
jarmen brothers (either or both together)
peter bell
peter everitt
matthew knights
stan alves (has he been on?)
peter knights

are some i would like to see

Remove this Banner Ad

Back