FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
With Open Mike being one of the most successful shows and my favourite show on Fox Footy, I think it should have it's own thread in "Footy Fourth Estate"

Open Mike returns 18 March on FOX FOOTY. Guest TBA.

Discuss all the Open Mikes of season 2013 here.

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers
Definitely looking forward to its return. I've never been Sheahan's biggest fan as a journalist but he has found his calling with this show. Fits like a glove.

The only guest I've heard about coming up in 2013 is GAJ.

Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Has the potential to be one of the very best footy shows on television.

Falls short at the moment, but Mike's got time to set things right.

And before anyone asks, or takes umbrage... I've said in a number of threads that the biggest flaw of the show is Mike's tendency to dwell on the controversies, when it's those things we all pretty much know the most about.

There was no way that Phil Carman's interview was ever going to be anything other than 10% his ability, 90% his suspensions.

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers
Has the potential to be one of the very best footy shows on television.

Falls short at the moment, but Mike's got time to set things right.

And before anyone asks, or takes umbrage... I've said in a number of threads that the biggest flaw of the show is Mike's tendency to dwell on the controversies, when it's those things we all pretty much know the most about.

There was no way that Phil Carman's interview was ever going to be anything other than 10% his ability, 90% his suspensions.
I'm not sure I understand what your grievance is.

Firstly, it's only an hour in which to cover their entire playing/coaching career, but more importantly, I would've thought the main objective was to get the guest's own perspective and insight into the well known controversies. We may well know about what happened, but we don't always know that person's acount of what happened. Doesn't it just make sense to cover the biggest or most publicisied events in that person's life?

Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
I'm not sure I understand what your grievance is.

Firstly, it's only an hour in which to cover their entire playing/coaching career, but more importantly, I would've thought the main objective was to get the guest's own perspective and insight into the well known controversies. We may well know about what happened, but we don't always know that person's acount of what happened. Doesn't it just make sense to cover the biggest or most publicisied events in that person's life?

My grievance is exactly as I said. Mike spend too long on the controversies. That, and he seemingly only interviews the players with controversy in their career, Akermanis, Walls, Archer, Brereton, Baker, Carman.

All most people know about someone like Phil Carman these days is that he headbutted a boundary umpire. That one instance has clouded his whole career.

So instead of talking to Carman about how extremely gifted he was as a footballer - and giving viewers another side of the man - he spent most of his time talking about all the times he whacked blokes. Not really essential viewing. Mike's also so parochially Victorian that it's nauseating. When Carman confidently stated that making the transition from the SANFL to the VFL wasn't hard because he didn't feel there was that big a difference between the leagues, Mike's response was a simple "You honestly believe that?". Why not delve a bit more, and get Carman to elaborate on that? It's because Mike needs to spend more time talking about the time Phil whacked Michael Tuck.

Having said all that - the hour-long versions are much better, but they have room for improvement. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the show... I just think that Mike's a bit lazy sometimes and asks the easy questions.

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers
I will agree that he does go a bit easy on them sometimes. I think part of that stems from his personal or at least friendly relationship with many of the guests. If they clearly don't want to delve into a subject, he backs off, whereas someone else might choose to probe deeper.

I think you're being a bit unfair with regard to the Carman interview. My recollection is he did also try to highlight Carman's abilities as a player which were immediately downplayed. By his own admission, Carman got alot more enjoyment out of coaching Sturt than his relatively short-lived playing career. At the end of the day, Carman is remembered largely for the headbutt and his demeanour on the field. Therefore this was suitably covered to get his own perspective on it. I think you and I just see the focus of the interview differently. I acknowledge it is there, but I also see it as a necessity.

The involvement of guests embroiled in controversies is certainly no accident. Players involved in controversies tend to be a bit more interesting/colourful. I think that's been shown to be true in the quality of the show overall.

I think there is always room for improvement, however.

crownie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It works both ways from the ones i have seen, those that seem to be honest and have nothing to hide make Mikes job easier and its allowed to flow making you wish the interview went longer.

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers
One thing I've noticed watching the repeats is that he ALWAYS wraps up the interviews the same way. Slightly different variations of:

"Well It's been an interesting career, you and I have had our run ins over the years, but I think you should feel very proud of what you've achieved, and good luck for the future."

I once read that he wanted to be the Andrew Denton of football. Denton was extremely clever in the way he would think on his feet when he wrapped up the interview by trying to capture the person in one line. Old Mike has a fair way to go on this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitcha

All Australian
Jan 19, 2005
Out West
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
First guest for 2013 will be Eddie McGuire. Should be a very fascinating interview as always.
Genuinely like this show but will give the McGuire episode a miss, will attempt to take over as he normally does and will deflect issues away from Collingwood such as the off season self reporting issue.

I'm not a huge fan of him because he refuses to recognise the conflicts of interest in his life but I can respect what he's accomplished and I certainly tuned in for it. I never realised he was only 32 when he became Collingwood President. Is that the youngest ever?

Liked the way he had a crack at Wilson and Smith too.. if everyone they called for to be sacked was sacked there'd be nobody left.

Let me guess... he'll spend 17 minutes of the show asking GAJ why he moved to the Gold Coast and spend the rest talking about his Dad?

So, so cynical.

But probably right too.

BlueBen

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
Nothing against Gary Ablett Jr, but I would prefer it if Sheahan and the show concentrated only on interviewing retired (recently or otherwise) players. Unlike current players, retired players have had the chance to take a step back and reflect on their career. This is likely to elicit more considered and interesting responses from the players in question than those from a current player whose career is ongoing and who is likely to be constrained in what he can and chooses to say.

Again, that's nothing against Ablett Jr., who I'm sure would be a fascinating interviewee, but wait until he's finished playing, when the picture is complete and he can be totally open and honest. There are enough retired players out there who would make interesting interview candidates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back