FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

You could very well be onto something there.

I could see more reason for Murphy to be upset than Dunkley tbh.

Murphy wanting to coach out the team who had basically lost everything before they die out. As opposed to an ex player cracking the s**ts because he isn't offered a coaching role after retiring. Dunkleys is even more comical when he says that he won't go to an reunions at Sydney because he doesn't want to leave his kids. I mean ffs your kids are ADULTS and you would be gone for one night!

That attitude from Dunkley is probably why he wasn't offered a coaching role!

I'm sure that Murphy wanted to coach Fitzroy because he loved the club and wanted to help them in their time of need.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't a fan of the merger.

i had him on the list of guys i'd like to see on Open Mike because he was a bit of a loveable rogue back in the day. Was the whole interview on the "scandal" BS?
The majority was.

Would have loved some questions on his last year at West Coast 2001 and how dire it was then

Really enjoyed Cummings. Remorseful and owned his utensil up, but still likeable. One of those blokes you'd love to have a few beers with.

I couldn't quite figure out the Cummings one - although I want to say straight up that Mike did his career a disservice by only spending the first segment on it.

Here's a guy that's already lost every opportunity he had to make money out of footy because of what he said, but he's bending over backwards to say "I ****ed up." There was no equivocation. There was no "I apologise if..." It was straight up "I said some really moronic s**t and I'm owning it."

Has he had a genuine awakening? Or is he merely trying to find some other media to pay him? I couldn't quite find the answer to this by the end of the episode.

Maybe that is why his sons aren't playing for Sydney.

It is my understanding that a prospective son has to accept a nomination to be picked under "father-son". They have the right to refuse.

Maybe Andrew Dunkley told his sons not to accept f-s from Sydney (as he was pi**ed off with the Swans), and maybe saw it as revenge, getting back at them by denying his kids playing for the club.

If so, this is similar to what I heard about why Marc Murphy of Carlton isn't playing for Brisbane instead.

In Murphy's case, his father is ex-Fitzroy captain John Murphy, who was a star for the Lions in the 70's and 80's.

The story goes that, in 1996, Fitzroy had sacked Bernie Quinlan as coach. Now, they were looking for a new coach, and John Murphy put his hand up.

He apparently petitioned hard for the role, and argued that Fitzroy, in its perilous position, should be coached by someone who played for the club (like him).

Instead, the board picked Michael Nunan from SA, who played 1 game for Richmond.

Murphy was livid. Then, when it was announced that Fitzroy would fold at the end of the year, and merge with the Brisbane Bears, and Nunan quit, Murphy came out and criticised the board, saying that if they had appointed him instead, he would have stayed for the long haul and seen out the year. He heavily criticized the board and how they had let Fitzroy die.

So, when Marc Murphy was going to be drafted, he was eligible to be picked up f-s by Brisbane Lions (since Fitzroy f-s could play for Brisbane; (Jonathan Brown came to Brisbane because his father, Brian Brown, played over 100 games for Fitzroy). But he rejected them, and chose to go in the draft instead, and Carlton had first pick.

Now, Murphy said that it was because he didn't want to move interstate. But some conspiracy theorists think that John lent on his son to not play for Brisbane, as payback for not making him coach in 1996.

So, I wonder if it is the same thing with Andrew Dunkley, and why neither of his sons accepted f-s nominations to the Swans?
this is a wonderful story with the obvious issue that the bulldogs' dunkley did accept a father son nomination

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you explain what you mean here?
original post was very long based on the premise that josh dunkley didn't nominate sydney as a father son with some speculation as to why

josh dunkley however was a nominated father son, just under the bidding rules sydney did not match the bulldogs bid

Love Scotty Cummings.

Our 1999 Coleman medallist

Did Mike bring up the fact he missed All Australian selection and how he felt about it because I know, as an Eagles fan, I felt (and still feel) dissappointed.

All Australian selection lost any meaning to me that day.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Love Scotty Cummings.

Our 1999 Coleman medallist

Did Mike bring up the fact he missed All Australian selection and how he felt about it because I know, as an Eagles fan, I felt (and still feel) dissappointed.

All Australian selection lost any meaning to me that day.

Loved the Cummings episode. How good and genuine of a bloke he is just shines through so blatantly without him even having to try.

His podcast comments, while somewhat distasteful, where NOWHERE near as bad as they were made out to be.

stevie j will be ave to poor when it actually has potential.

he will crap on about 2011 gf week
sledges we've all heard and know
breaking his ankle and nearly traded to collingwood

thats all sheahan will ask about

Yep.

And giggling about whats Toby Greene like

Ha, odds on this will be the case.

Wasn't there a story that Johnson said to his teammates 'just call me Norm' in the lead up to the GF or during the game? If so I'm sure Sheahan will ask about that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back