FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

The show should definitely go on with someone who can do it.

2 things hurt it
1) The caliber of the guests deteriorated
2) The research/questions asked

Fair play to Mike - he's 73 now, he's knows all the greats.
Hard for him to give 2 s**ts talking to Clay Smith, Scott Cummings or Michael Gayfer. No disrespect to any of these guys, but not exactly legends of the sport...

Martin Pike is still my favourite episode
Absolutely. I dont know why, but it's the one I've watched the most. The most glaring omission from the top 30, along with Kerley and Hawkins

I’m suprised he never got Brad Johnson & Riewoldt on considering they worked at fox footy
Or Healy. At least he won something

The show should definitely go on with someone who can do it.

2 things hurt it
1) The caliber of the guests deteriorated
2) The research/questions asked

Fair play to Mike - he's 73 now, he's knows all the greats.
Hard for him to give 2 s**ts talking to Clay Smith, Scott Cummings or Michael Gayfer. No disrespect to any of these guys, but not exactly legends of the sport...
He was interviewed on the SEN morning show today and said he had trouble finding guests who would agree to be interviewed.

Really enjoyed that, was great going back on some of the controversial episodes. Despite not being everyone’s cup of tea, Mike certainly had a fascinating career.
50 odd years getting paid decent coin to write and talk about footy. He's done well.

good show and sad to see it/him go.

Funny when they showed the piss getting taken out of him. I remember that, it was on Full Frontal also.

Love ya Mike Sheehan god bless you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I knew it wasn’t going to get raised but Gerard and Robbo really should have asked Mike about his role in knifing fitzroy. It was the one glaring absence from the discussion.

Most coherent i have ever seen Robbo.

Sad to see him step away. Don't get the personal vendettas against him, he wrote about footy ffs.
Probably a different era? These days the players and media are for the most party pretty chummy. Back in Mikes era media and players were a lot more adversarial I’m thinking & a few grudges still holding ?

I relent as a kid if you

Most coherent i have ever seen Robbo.

Sad to see him step away. Don't get the personal vendettas against him, he wrote about footy ffs.

I found the whole journos interviewing journos as do self indulgent and cringeworthy. I mean FFS who gives a Sh”t about It . Jacko was the one interviewee who got it right .

They are there to report on the game , they get paid . They are despicable humans who deal in innuendo and mistruths .

Their behaviour and harassment towards Richmond this year was just unhinged . But that’s stopped now , it’s all ok now because Tom lynch spoke to a kid , we gave a guard of honour to the GOAT and we won the flag . Just disgusting.
And the virtue signalling.....

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It was very weird when Talking Footy first started to see a newspaper journo on the telly.
"The weekends come and gone
and weve talked up a storm
bout our team
bout our form and how we could be...
But when Monday comes around
the talk around the town is what happened on the weekend in the footy.... Monday night.... were talking footy"

"The weekends come and gone
and weve talked up a storm
bout our team
bout our form and how we could be...
But when Monday comes around
the talk around the town is what happened on the weekend in the footy.... Monday night.... were talking footy"
Takes me back, that does. You had that and also the Footy Show in its prime, plus a dominant Eagles side that didn't win anywhere near enough flags. What a decade.

I found the whole journos interviewing journos as do self indulgent and cringeworthy. I mean FFS who gives a Sh”t about It . Jacko was the one interviewee who got it right .

They are there to report on the game , they get paid . They are despicable humans who deal in innuendo and mistruths .

Their behaviour and harassment towards Richmond this year was just unhinged . But that’s stopped now , it’s all ok now because Tom lynch spoke to a kid , we gave a guard of honour to the GOAT and we won the flag . Just disgusting.
And the virtue signalling.....

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The finale episode wasn't good. As you mentioned, it was indulgent. Whateley was gratingly sycophantic.

Open Mike struggled over its last two seasons. The overall quality of the guests waned, including some filler special episodes, and Mike became increasingly lazy with his preparation. He is a poor interviewer and this is highlighted when he cannot be bothered finding interesting tidbits, or thoughtful questions, to ask his guests. Mike tends to raise the obvious stuff and he is overly concerned about asking ex-players about how much coin they were on at a particular stage of their career.

Sometimes a guest will hint at something interesting, or give a partial answer that suggests further probing, but Mike rarely goes the next step to unpack the story properly.

In recent years, I have often finished an episode of Open Mike not knowing anything new of note about the guest. A lot of retelling of tired anecdotes and soft, half-volley questions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back