FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Tony Modra came across as a really nice guy too, incredibly modest for a bloke who’s natural talents were probably up there with basically anyone who’s played the game

For a bloke who missed the first GF with a knee, and the second GF due to Blight's ruthlessness, he could've left bitter. But he was incredibly modest when he left for Freo and is now back at the Crows as an ambassador.

For a bloke who missed the first GF with a knee, and the second GF due to Blight's ruthlessness, he could've left bitter. But he was incredibly modest when he left for Freo and is now back at the Crows as an ambassador.

Yeah you could tell he was still a bit sad about the flags but he was quite accepting and understanding And conducted himself with a lot of maturity relative to some of the others I’ve watched. Barnes for example even though he presents oddly well, carries on a lot about the 2001 grand final and his lack of game time

Ian Stewart ( replayed recently ) was fascinating.
That story about him and Tony Jewell watering Moorabin oval on Friday night before the game beers in hand and the disco raging in the background is absolute gold....and during his very short tenure as Carlton coach him trying to tell Jezza to do more defensive stuff and Jezza just giving him that ominous Eastern European stare.

Last edited:
Ian Stewart ( replayed recently ) was fascinating.
That story about him and Tony Jewell watering Moorabin oval on Friday night before the game beers in hand and the disco raging in the background is absolute gold....and during his very short tenure as Carlton coach him trying to tell Jezza to do more defensive stuff and Jezza just giving him that ominous Eastern European stare.
The Wallsy Open Mike is interesting, he says that Stewart sacked him as captain after one game, telling Walls he didn't put in. Wallsy still bitter about it, although Stewart did admit in his Open Mike that it was a mistake.

For those who think that Open Mike went downhill in the last few years, what's your view on the specific episode when the show jumped the shark?
No real jump the shark moment for me, because the format and approach was quite consistent throughout the series.

The only ep I ever recalling turning off was Jacko. Full of cringe and bluster from the first minute. Unwatchable.

Just watched a whole bunch of these back to back as I started working from
Home and needed a distraction in the lounge room.
Naturally gravitated to the Geelong ones first.

Enright came across as a really nice guy but it was boring
Johnson was reasonably interesting
Barry Stonham wasn’t terribly interesting or revealing
I liked Billy Brownless he came across as a decent guy if a bit of a tit
Scarlett is very blunt and doesn’t really pull any punches - I like his honesty but it doesn’t make him look particularly engaging or charismatic

the ones I found most interesting were John Barnes and Cam Mooney.
Barnes comes across as you’d expect, different and almost simple but there is a bit more to him than that. Was very interesting hearing his words about GAS, they all get asked about him and talk about his footy but Barnes roomed with him a lot and talked about his personality and how much time he gave people away from footy.

Mooney is very self effacing and said how little he felt a part of the 99 flag - understandably - and you can tell he still takes responsibility for the 08 defeat even though you could pin it on any number of blokes or moments. Looking at the photo of the hawks on the podium he looked teary. He loved the club a hell of a lot. He is very modest and accepting that he wasn’t a superstar just a serviceable kpf and he accepted that he was ill disciplined and didn’t make light of it.

ottens comes across as a really nice bloke but again fairly uninteresting.

I’ve watched the Capper one about three times now and it still entertains me. He’s off the wall but I found him incredibly likeable
One of my favourite eps from Geelong, if not my favourite, is Tim McGrath. Just a top bloke with a great story. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

Edit: Couchy was another good one from Geelong.

Last edited:
One of my favourite eps from Geelong, if not my favourite, is Tim McGrath. Just a top bloke with a great story. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

Edit: Couchy was another good one from Geelong.

I did watch the McGrath one when it first aired and you’re right it was a good episode he came across as a great fella, his tie to Bali is a bit personal to me too - I’m from Forbes and lost an acquaintance (not really a mate) in Bali who was one of three from the local community.

I don’t think I’ve seen the Couchy one, it might make me a bit teary too given his passing.

loved the Anthony Stevens ep

I did watch the McGrath one when it first aired and you’re right it was a good episode he came across as a great fella, his tie to Bali is a bit personal to me too - I’m from Forbes and lost an acquaintance (not really a mate) in Bali who was one of three from the local community.

I don’t think I’ve seen the Couchy one, it might make me a bit teary too given his passing.

loved the Anthony Stevens ep

Tony Modra came across as a really nice guy too, incredibly modest for a bloke who’s natural talents were probably up there with basically anyone who’s played the game

I reckon Modra would've hated modern footy. He was Godra in the early to mid 90s for his high flying marks, bags of goals and model good looks - but you could still have a private life. Comes across like the sort of guy who would go into his shell being scrutinised 24/7.

I reckon Modra would've hated modern footy. He was Godra in the early to mid 90s for his high flying marks, bags of goals and model good looks - but you could still have a private life. Comes across like the sort of guy who would go into his shell being scrutinised 24/7.

Yeah he was very quietly spoken and humble and gave the impression that he is a really genuinely nice guy

Yeah he was very quietly spoken and humble and gave the impression that he is a really genuinely nice guy

Could take a grab though!

I'm glad I was a kid in the early 90s. West Coast winning flags. Teams kicking 200 occasionally. Modra, Ablett Sr, Dunstall, Lockett kicking 100.

Can definitely see why some players go to NSW/Qld or even Geelong to escape the spotlight.

Just watched a whole bunch of these back to back as I started working from
Home and needed a distraction in the lounge room.
Naturally gravitated to the Geelong ones first.

Enright came across as a really nice guy but it was boring
Johnson was reasonably interesting
Barry Stonham wasn’t terribly interesting or revealing
I liked Billy Brownless he came across as a decent guy if a bit of a tit
Scarlett is very blunt and doesn’t really pull any punches - I like his honesty but it doesn’t make him look particularly engaging or charismatic

the ones I found most interesting were John Barnes and Cam Mooney.
Barnes comes across as you’d expect, different and almost simple but there is a bit more to him than that. Was very interesting hearing his words about GAS, they all get asked about him and talk about his footy but Barnes roomed with him a lot and talked about his personality and how much time he gave people away from footy.

Mooney is very self effacing and said how little he felt a part of the 99 flag - understandably - and you can tell he still takes responsibility for the 08 defeat even though you could pin it on any number of blokes or moments. Looking at the photo of the hawks on the podium he looked teary. He loved the club a hell of a lot. He is very modest and accepting that he wasn’t a superstar just a serviceable kpf and he accepted that he was ill disciplined and didn’t make light of it.

ottens comes across as a really nice bloke but again fairly uninteresting.

I’ve watched the Capper one about three times now and it still entertains me. He’s off the wall but I found him incredibly likeable

I umpired Capper in what was hopefully his last game of footy for the Caramut Swans v Woorndoo a few years back. His performance was almost as shambolic as that Open Mike episode. Sad thing is, wysiwyg he’s 100% cooked

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those who think that Open Mike went downhill in the last few years, what's your view on the specific episode when the show jumped the shark?

For me, I think he just ran out of guests that made me want to keeping watching every week.

Still, I think in 2-3 years time it could make a return as you'd have the players who have retired recently.

Sandy Roberts would be ideal as he would have had a lot of interactions with players from the 1980s to today

He is a recent guest on the howie games podcast.

I haven't listened, but I think Mark Howard does a fairly decent job as an interviewer.

Gee Modra was a gun player , you sometimes forget just how good some guys were .
Not only the hangers but his contested marking was incredible . So often was 1 on 2 but still would win out.
I feel for fans who are 25 or under and never saw just how massive the likes of Modra/Ablett/Dunstall/Lockett were in the game of that era. Modra's admission that he would keep an eye on the other full forwards and note their tally when their teams were opposed would never fly in today's game. Too many would point to it as being egotistical when in reality he was anything but that. Just a ripper bloke who could play footy very well and enjoyed giving the crowd a show with big grabs and bags of goals. Often forgotten is the regularly confirmed stories that he would stay back after a game for up to an hour signing autographs and meeting fans to ensure nobody missed out.

Is there a list so far of his top 30? Is it still going or finished up?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
It's still going, next one is Robert Flower on Tuesday night @8.30pm according to their website.

I couldn't find a current list but here is a link I found which was posted last year, maybe they are following this order?

Some absolute rippers in that lot!

It's still going, next one is Robert Flower on Tuesday night @8.30pm according to their website.

I couldn't find a current list but here is a link I found which was posted last year, maybe they are following this order?

Some absolute rippers in that lot!
It's not following that order because they already had the Caro one on a few weeks ago.

Stevo at number 2 on that list is just wrong. I thought his was one of the more boring eps.

Dane Swan was #5 last night for anybody still watching

Its like a car crash , I dont want to watch but I cant look away .

Has just rolled out his 'air traffic control' gag
There is something strangely compelling about this interview. I thoroughly enjoyed it the first time it was on and still do. I think part of it is just how completely opposite he is to today's media-managed robots. He was also disarmingly honest about things - the line about Peter Knights as a coach sounds harsh but from many reports it wasn't too far from the truth - really nice bloke who wasn't suited to coaching.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back