Review Open thread - Grand Final Review

Remove this Banner Ad

AuTo00Z

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Leon Cameron learned the hard way not to play injured players in finals, particularly a grand final. Wasn't the reason you lost, but Richmond being able to exploit an injured Davis in the first half gave the team no chance.

A grand final loss is hard to take and I don't want to be full of empty platitudes. Pretty sure anyone who isn't a Richmond supporter was hoping you guys could have given it to them. Bloody hard for an interstate club to back up every week in this compromised competition. Good luck in 2020.

Commiserations. Just never got out of the blocks today.

Nick Hayne is a warrior, should be front & square in the captaincy stakes. Taranto, Shaw & Greene also very good.

Move heaven & earth to find a ruckman over the trade period, and don't leave yourselves out of the Daniher discussions.

Commiserations you lot.

General Giant dont be disappointed that you got belted in the GF. I am actually impressed on how you got to the GF.

3 finals wins from 3 Different areas just to make it this year. A win at home, then a Narrow win at the GABBA then a narrow win Vs the Pies at the MCG is an impressive effort.

Thats more finals experience under the belt for the younger players

Sorry for Giants fans having to endure that.

It was hard enough as a neutral, especially as I was on the Giants band wagon all week.:(

Unfortunately, what I feared did come to pass. Your players had to bee a pretty short on petrol tickets after busting their arses two weeks in a row (and very gallantly at that)

On a brighter note, Nick Haynes is a jet and Taranto and Shaw were very good.

Cheers and best of luck next season.

I'm sorry that the tigers had to play GWS. I would have liked to see a GWS flag any other year.

All giants supporters should feel very proud though, and while 'well played' might sound disingenuous, you blokes had a finals series that reminded me of '17 Richmond which had me worried about our chances this year.

Also thank you giants supporters as you were mostly much less needlessly hostile than a lot of other clubs are. Made for a good spirited lead up.

Here's hoping you blokes can get back up next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A grand final loss is hard to take and I don't want to be full of empty platitudes. Pretty sure anyone who isn't a Richmond supporter was hoping you guys could have given it to them. Bloody hard for an interstate club to back up every week in this compromised competition. Good luck in 2020.
irony much?

Commiserations GWS.

Its a awful feeling I remember in 1991 West Coast were in their First GF and were pantsed by Hawthorn .... horrible felling and felt like a death in the family.

However a year latter West Coast was the victor and the first to beat the seemingly impenetrable fortress that is VFL controlled.

I am sure that all in the Club will have benefited from the experience.
Better luck next year.

Please be upbeat in the face of adversity, as you went to a place that you have never been before ...... the big dance.

Success and progress is often incremental, so use this hurt as a stepping stone.

You guys have had a marvellous season and you should be proud of your achievements .

Well done in 2019 : :handwaving::handwaving::handwaving::handwaving:

Foot Note: Cameron take note , taking injured players into a GF is fraught with danger.

Feel for all the GWS supporters right now. You have to hand it to Richmond though, they were unbelievable and would have wiped any other team on the day as well. It was just their day. Remember too that there are plenty of other teams that never got the chance to play for the premiership today and the future looks good for you guys. Chin up and you'll feel better in the morning

Paid good money to watch your team smash us by more than 100 points in 2016 at Manuka Oval. Things change quickly. There is too much talent in your squad to succumb to naysayers now. Leon Cameron is a very good coach and your list is excellent. Looking forward to reengaging on the field next year.

Fittest list usually has a distinct advantage - sad but true. A pity no one has seen all the best of the GWS list on the park in finals at the same time. I thought GWS came of age this finals series - but a pounding like that in GF is a bitter pill at the end of a great year for the Club. Good luck in 2020 .

The Bris and Coll finals wins were massive.

They showed they could mix it in big games. Next year with that steel from those games and a bit more health and they’ll be there abouts again.

Tough loss today. Whitfield with only a right foot was probably still a good in but was a good representation of the day.

Last edited:
Not today mate. Just F off to your own board.
We got further than you nah nah nah nah nah.
If you’re not here to talk about the game just F off.

I actually thought that your lads settled into the game really well. After about the 5 minute mark in the first you had control, up until the dodgy "in the back" decision to cotchin in your forward line. Then you copped the soldo throw on the quarter time siren, then riewoldt and Grimes diving for free kicks. The umpiring took the wind out of your sails and once they got their tails up it was over. I feel like you were hard done by and better umpiring early may have seen a mildly more even result. Never easy beating a team team that plays on the G up to 17 times each season, when you might play there twice. I don't think the result reflects the skill gap at all, it was just one team off their game after dropping their heads against another team going for it at their home ground. The competition is compromised whether people like to suggest otherwise. All the best for next season, hopefully your lads learn from the experience and don't drop their heads as easily as what they did today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back