Training Open training 25/1/2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I headed down to watch the boys train. The intensity was evident in the way they were training, pressure was good from the smalls, in particular Elliot.
I kept a closer eye on a few of the new recruits as we know already what the usual suspects can do. I must admit I was taken back by the form of Henry Schade, and didn't realise he was as tall as he looked. He looks like a player who was starved of opportunities at Gold Coast, given some of the names already there in the backline, but at Collingwood I could see him potentially lining up next to Reid by the end of the season. He looks like a ready made replacement for Brown.
Henry Schade thread. :)

I called in for a little while.
Gorgeous morning:)

And I'm really impressed with the above reports that are so specific.
(I have nothing to add. Couldn't even get a look at their hairstyles for Vicky Park as most were wearing caps:D)
No hat .... no play. We're a SunSmart club.

Last edited:
Surprised many have said Daicos looks so good at training. Flying on the track?
From what I saw yesterday encouraging. I am coming off a low base of expectation because take away the name and he is just a late draft pick with a low chance of making it.

Yesterday he looked comfortable in drills with senior players, excellent skills, good in close and was running well, near the front of the sprints at the end of a nearly 3 hour training session.

Shows promise but a long way from knowing whether he makes it yet is what I would say

From what I saw yesterday encouraging. I am coming off a low base of expectation because take away the name and he is just a late draft pick with a low chance of making it.

Yesterday he looked comfortable in drills with senior players, excellent skills, good in close and was running well, near the front of the sprints at the end of a nearly 3 hour training session.

Shows promise but a long way from knowing whether he makes it yet is what I would say
I just hope many aren't getting confused by his surname rather than what he's showing. Good to hear he looks so great early though.

He'll make it!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand this GC, and agree with you in that it is a reasonable non-emotional way way of looking at it. But the Daicos name can't be dismissed, and clearly hasn't been by the Pies. The name carries the weight of his genes and his environment. It gives him an aura of hope for the fans, at this early stage of his career. Either that, or its a burden.:(

I understand this GC, and agree with you in that it is a reasonable non-emotional way way of looking at it. But the Daicos name can't be dismissed, and clearly hasn't been by the Pies. The name carries the weight of his genes and his environment. It gives him an aura of hope for the fans, at this early stage of his career. Either that, or its a burden.:(
I think more burden. We fans will overburden him with expectation potentially by willing him to be like his father. At the end of the day he is a pick 57 in the draft, a F/S selection that no other club decided to even bid on. Most kids picked in that range don't go onto significant AFL careers, that's what we should be realistic about.

I love the romance of the pick and his name. Same with Cal Brown. In 2017 if we don't have a lot of injuries I expect they will both ply their trade in the VFL. It will be fun watching them there

Hi all

I think its about time to move the lamb and related discussion to the food and wine thread on The Nest. Will take me a little while to do it, and when I have done I will add a link.

Its been a great discussion, but maybe too far off topic for some.

Thanks to all who have contributed!

Thank you and I shall hang my head in shame for not knowing.
No head hanging, I had to think twice too originally.
Afterall he has just arrived.
Let's hope he goes better than ok. Might be a nice player for us

I think you've nailed it.
It's just hard to gauge he's real value thus far.
Except to say, he's tracking in the right direction.

But just imagine he is something of a player....

Then again, we need to temper expectations.
I recall Paul Tuddenham, an ok conveyance, but certainly no where near the level of Des.

But you never know, young Daicos might be a fine player after all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back