Review Opening Round = GWS 114-82 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really given we are talking KPF.
AJ is a far bigger body - and size is important for such a position.
No way Henry can be spoken of as a McStay replacement.
If you want to talk about comparing them as HF’s, then that’s a different discussion.
Literally played the role swapping with AJ before we recruited McStay.
Couldn’t care less about AJ’s size if he doesn’t use it to his advantage, which he doesn’t, so it means nothing.

So it’s learning to use his speed wisely. Pendles is slow but he uses that time well.

Yes and no. Pendles being slow by foot literally gives him more time to react with his hands. His decision making is obviously very fast, and while that’s not what we’re talking about it allows him to evade traffic while moving slowly, otherwise he might get the ball but would never get to dispose of it.

Beau needs to be cleaner than everyone else if he’s near top gear, because his top gear is faster and he literally has less time to react.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beau needs to be cleaner than everyone else if he’s near top gear, because his top gear is faster and he literally has less time to react.
Most of Beau's fumbles (and there are plenty) are before he's turned the afterburners on. Needs to tidy up his ball handling.

Most of Beau's fumbles (and there are plenty) are before he's turned the afterburners on. Needs to tidy up his ball handling.

His mind, ie what he’ll do once he has the pill, is probably working faster than his hands. Not sure how to rectify that. Will be a proper gun player if he can.

His mind, ie what he’ll do once he has the pill, is probably working faster than his hands. Not sure how to rectify that. Will be a proper gun player if he can.
Agreed but I have also noticed a tendency over the last couple of years to let his opponent take possession then hammer him rather than totally commit to himself possessing. Given his tackling ability its often a winning strategy but I would love to see him focus more on creating rather than waiting. Has the attributes to be more than a defensive forward.

Agreed but I have also noticed a tendency over the last couple of years to let his opponent take possession then hammer him rather than totally commit to himself possessing. Given his tackling ability its often a winning strategy but I would love to see him focus more on creating rather than waiting. Has the attributes to be more than a defensive forward.
I noticed a tendency for some of our players to wait for the ball, rather than go and get it, a bit of hesitancy.
It meant that GWS often had first use of the ball.

I noticed a tendency for some of our players to wait for the ball, rather than go and get it, a bit of hesitancy.
It meant that GWS often had first use of the ball.
Agree. Giants were just that little bit hungrier. Can't blame them after we kept them out of the GF by a point, lol.

Yes and no. Pendles being slow by foot literally gives him more time to react with his hands. His decision making is obviously very fast, and while that’s not what we’re talking about it allows him to evade traffic while moving slowly, otherwise he might get the ball but would never get to dispose of it.

That’s exactly right, the proof is in the pudding. Because he can’t out run his opponents, his immediate instinct is to evade and detect his opponents.

Somebody that has speed, their immediate instinct is sprint straight for the goal…you need both in the side.

The vision on the couch was very damaging especially when it comes to Jordy and Elliott
They refused to run and chase.

Not surprised.

I feel like I've come pretty attuned when watching us to know when we're totally switched on, having a red hot crack and when we're simply off and our intensity is not what it needs to be.

I commented during the game our effort was running well below our best of the last 2 seasons, we were to reactive and when we did we simply weren't prepared to run as hard offensively and defensively as GWS.

All is not lost however, it's only the first game of the season and GWS themselves showed last year what can be achieved from the first meeting against an opponent to the next one.

We smashed them by 65pts in round 9 last season before escaping by just the 1 in the Preliminary final.

Last time we lost a first week game and won the flag was 1990 which was against a Mick Malthouse-coached West Coast side in Mick's first game as their senior coach.

We lost by 46 points which was bigger than last night.
Remember that game well. Tony Francis got 6 weeks? from a kicking charge as well.

Heard someone say only 2 teams in 100 years have won the flag after losing the first 2 games of the season. If true, Friday night is a huge match for us.

Not surprised.

I feel like I've come pretty attuned when watching us to know when we're totally switched on, having a red hot crack and when we're simply off and our intensity is not what it needs to be.

I commented during the game our effort was running well below our best of the last 2 seasons, we were to reactive and when we did we simply weren't prepared to run as hard offensively and defensively as GWS.

All is not lost however, it's only the first game of the season and GWS themselves showed last year what can be achieved from the first meeting against an opponent to the next one.

We smashed them by 65pts in round 9 last season before escaping by just the 1 in the Preliminary final.
Hopefully the lack of intensity as pointed out on the couch is a one off, otherwise a premiership hangover is very real concern

Remove this Banner Ad

Back