Review Opening Round = GWS 114-82 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

ā€œThere were just some things you looked at (against GWS) and you go ā€˜well, they probably didnā€™t handle it as well as they wouldā€™ve liked when they look back at itā€™,ā€ Lyon started on Fox Footyā€™s On the Couch on Monday evening.

First, Lyon pointed to an example deep in Collingwoodā€™s defensive half when skipper Darcy Moore elected to leave his direct opponent to impact the contest.

He noted that while the instinct is a part of Mooreā€™s stellar repertoire, he doesnā€™t then have the credibility to challenge his back-six teammates when they take similar risks.

ā€œDarcy Mooreā€™s the captain. Now, this is not new for Darcy, but how do you go and then lead the team into this situation where (Isaac) Quaynor has got (Aaron) Cadman and he just lets him go?ā€ Lyon asked.

ā€œCadman cruises up, Quaynor stays back in the goal square, Cadman sits there ā€” (youā€™ve) got two guarding the goal square and none guarding Cadman, and Darcy Moore would be going ā€˜how can I pull you up when Iā€™m playing two metres on the back of Jesse Hogan?ā€™ So, (itā€™s) these little things, you know?ā€

Next, Lyon cited a transition defence passage where superstars Jordan De Goey and Nick Daicos were caught ball-watching in the third term.

The duo failed to track prolific GWS midfielder Josh Kelly, who wound up taking an uncontested mark inside 50 for a set shot at goal.

ā€œThen you look at this ā€” you see De Goey and Daicos. Not once have they turned their head, not once did they turn their head to look at Josh Kelly ā€” (they) still havenā€™t looked at him. Bang (he takes the mark). Third quarter, all over.ā€

Later, Lyon highlighted another example of lazy defensive running ā€” this time star forward Jamie Elliott was the culprit in question.

ā€œLook at Jamie Elliott here, look at the chase ā€” or the non-chase. (He) doesnā€™t want to get involved,ā€ said Lyon.

Elliott neglected to run with a streaming Harry Himmelberg exiting defence, which started a domino effect of Pies defenders flooding to the ball ā€” resulting in an uncontested mark inside 50 for the Giants.

ā€œ(That happened) because Jamie Elliott just couldnā€™t be bothered, (he) just didnā€™t want to run.ā€
Lyon's comments about Moore are ridiculous.
Every player has their role - it's just about defining their respective roles and fine tuning so the defence functions as it should.
Against GWS there were fundamental errors, for example, no player on the mark when one of their players launched from outside 50 and goaled, & and no-one on the goal line for another.
Not getting body on their forwards, and pushing up too much and leaving gaping holes inside D50 were two others.
Fix these sorts of things and we will be much better - and we can do it.

Last edited:

Remember that game well. Tony Francis got 6 weeks? from a kicking charge as well.

Heard someone say only 2 teams in 100 years have won the flag after losing the first 2 games of the season. If true, Friday night is a huge match for us.
Richmond were 9th at R14 in 2019, still won the flag. Don't think putting too much emphasis on your stat is the way to go.

We were the first to win the flag after dropping 3/4 of the last H&A games too, weren't we?

Not sure if anyone listened to Sportsday yesterday on SEN but the Footy Analysis with Daniel Hoyne podcast from that show is worth a listen. Daniel Hoyne is the Champion Data guy

They talk about Collingwood at 33.32 of the Podcast but itā€™s worth a listen just to hear Kane and Gerardā€™s reaction to Danielā€™s declaration that we shouldnā€™t panic and we probably win that match 7 out of 10 times. Iā€™m sure when Kane raises us he was expecting Daniel to declare how bade we were. He also gave some good info on Nickā€™s game too.

According to the stats bloke on SEN it was only inaccurate goal kicking that cost us the game. All other stats predicted a Pies win.
His message- donā€™t panic
Didn't hear the stats guy (not a fan of him)....but without seeing the game and only looking at the stats....i came to a similar conclusion.

We won most of the stats we'd care about.
Despite stats....i'm a massive fan of shots at goal. Usually tells a lot about a game.

27 shots at goal wins most games. So even if we apparently played so poor, we were still getting the shots.
our I50 short conversion was just under 50%.....which is a good number when the I50 is up around 60.

in contrast, they had 24 from 50 attempts....which is a touch better % wise than us.
So the I50/shot conversion ratio is very similar.
Their i50 number is significantly diluted due to 18-2 (2 rushed). No repeat entries to pad the i50 numbers.
So they just absolutely kicked the lights out.
Which happens and you have to tip your hat to that!

18-2 will win you just about every game you play in.

So will running 305kms.....which they won't be doing in about 2-3 weeks time.....and definitely won't be doing that by end of year.
So if they kick at 90% accuracy for the year and run 300+.....hand the cup to them now as they'll be undefeated!

Bring what we did to the Swans and we'll be fine.

Not sure if anyone listened to Sportsday yesterday on SEN but the Footy Analysis with Daniel Hoyne podcast from that show is worth a listen. Daniel Hoyne is the Champion Data guy

They talk about Collingwood at 33.32 of the Podcast but itā€™s worth a listen just to hear Kane and Gerardā€™s reaction to Danielā€™s declaration that we shouldnā€™t panic and we probably win that match 7 out of 10 times. Iā€™m sure when Kane raises us he was expecting Daniel to declare how bade we were. He also gave some good info on Nickā€™s game too.

Not sure I'll ever take Hoyne seriously anymore. He was trying to find every stat under the sun last year to favour his beloved Demons.

Not sure I'll ever take Hoyne seriously anymore. He was trying to find every stat under the sun last year to favour his beloved Demons.
I rarely listen to the stats guy as it doesnā€™t generally interest me. However itā€™s worth it for Kaneā€™s reaction.

Hope his feet are in good nick then!

Must be, for now at least!

Genuinely curious to see if that is a trend with Chaz or if he got caught up in the moment trying to do too much in his first game.

On one hand we looked loose in defense, so maybe he was caught out of position, etc.

On the other hand, Harris Andrews is regularly in the top distance runners for Brisbane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back