Game Day Opening Round vs. GWS, Giants Stadium, 7:30pm Sat 09/03

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
After last night's practice match against Richmond, the pre-season draws to a close and eyes turn to the Giants.

Early signs look like they'll continue on from last year's (late) form, and beating them on their home deck will be a challenge.

Team selection, well... despite the whole pre-season I'm still taking the Grand Final team with only a couple of changes.

Schultz in for Ginnivan.

Lipinski into the 22 for Frampton.

Macrae or McInnes sub.

If Murphy doesn't play, Frampton or Dean take his spot. I'd be leaning towards Frampton to start the season solely due to experience. Dean was great last night but I'm not sure I'd be throwing Dean in to debut in a game against Hogan and Cadman, assuming that's how they line up.

Noble unlucky, not sure he's suited to the sub role.

Macrae also unlucky - the fact he only played as a glorified sub last night tells me he misses out on a starting 22 role.

After last night's practice match against Richmond, the pre-season draws to a close and eyes turn to the Giants.

Early signs look like they'll continue on from last year's (late) form, and beating them on their home deck will be a challenge.

Team selection, well... despite the whole pre-season I'm still taking the Grand Final team with only a couple of changes.

Schultz in for Ginnivan.

Lipinski into the 22 for Frampton.

Macrae or McInnes sub.

If Murphy doesn't play, Frampton or Dean take his spot. I'd be leaning towards Frampton to start the season solely due to experience. Dean was great last night but I'm not sure I'd be throwing Dean in to debut in a game against Hogan and Cadman, assuming that's how they line up.

Macrae also unlucky - the fact he only played as a glorified sub last night tells me he misses out on a starting 22 role.

Thank you for being the first to start a match preview thread for 2024.

I can’t believe the season is just about upon us. Unlike some, I haven’t found the time between these seasons to be long. Might be something to do with the euphoric state I entered on 30/9/23, and have lost track of time since then. We won the flag yesterday, right?

Not much to add to the above, except to say that Murphy couldn’t possibly play. He’s not participated in any kind of match sim for weeks. I’m also concerned about Pendles and Howe, and their (apparently minor) injuries. We can’t afford to play any underdone players against GWS. They are a formidable opponent.

But we’ll still win by 24 points.

Sometimes in life you are confronted with a manifestation of all that is ill in this world. Artificial creations that, like some embodiment of Frankenstein's monster, exist and yet lack a soul, invoking a dread at once spiritually insidious and yet otherworldy.

If by some mistake you stare direct into the heart of the beast, you find horrors heartlessly but relentlessly raised to sear your soul. A malevolent creation manifesting the devisings of an abject gaze of pure nothingness. An intricate work, at once audaciously ****ed and evil, debasing, dishonouring to the soul, while exhibiting a vividly alluring brutal world of grotesquery.

But enough about Carlton, we start the season against GWS, who are more like AI generated Euro Synth Pop than the otherkin Lovecraftian horror from Ikon Park that recalls a pony in its infinite shame.

What does one make of GWS? Why did anyone make GWS? Why would anyone care about GWS? And for * sake, why orange? And most of all, why the * would you make the reigning premiers start their season against the very definition of pointless irrelevancy at the smallest home ground in the competition in a part of the country that could only be made more aesthetically pleasing by the application of a small nuclear warhead?

So many questions, and like parliament, so few answers.

What will our team be? Probably more like the GF team than any reigning premier in recent memory. Ginni out for Schulz and maybe one in for Murphy could be the sum total of changes and that would be kind of freaky s**t, but its not out of the question

I can find reasons for Dean if Murphy is out, I can find reasons for McRae or AJ. But to be honest, I am not sure it will make much difference either way.

Teams coming off a premiership often start slowly, given their later end to the season prior. I think our hunger burns bright enough though, like a pony hungers for your vicera, to overcome some rust. Pies by 32. And by three quarter time the home ground "oranges" will be cast aside carelessly and forgotten like frangers at schoolies.

Sometimes in life you are confronted with a manifestation of all that is ill in this world. Artificial creations that, like some embodiment of Frankenstein's monster, exist and yet lack a soul, invoking a dread at once spiritually insidious and yet otherworldy.

If by some mistake you stare direct into the heart of the beast, you find horrors heartlessly but relentlessly raised to sear your soul. A malevolent creation manifesting the devisings of an abject gaze of pure nothingness. An intricate work, at once audaciously ****ed and evil, debasing, dishonouring to the soul, while exhibiting a vividly alluring brutal world of grotesquery.

But enough about Carlton, we start the season against GWS, who are more like AI generated Euro Synth Pop than the otherkin Lovecraftian horror from Ikon Park that recalls a pony in its infinite shame.

What does one make of GWS? Why did anyone make GWS? Why would anyone care about GWS? And for * sake, why orange? And most of all, why the * would you make the reigning premiers start their season against the very definition of pointless irrelevancy at the smallest home ground in the competition in a part of the country that could only be made more aesthetically pleasing by the application of a small nuclear warhead?

What will our team be? Probably more like the GF team than any reigning premier in recent memory. Ginni out for Schulz and maybe one in for Murphy could be the sum total of changes and that would be kind of freaky s**t, but its not out of the question

I can find reasons for Dean if Murphy is out, I can find reasons for McRae or AJ. But to be honest, I am not sure it will make much difference either way.

Teams coming off a premiership often start slowly, given their later end to the season prior. I think our hunger burns bright enough though, like a pony hungers for your vicera, to overcome some rust. Pies by 32. And by three quarter time the home ground "oranges" will be cast aside carelessly and forgotten like frangers at schoolies.
Pure poetry, you naughty, little pony:

'cast aside carelessly and forgotten like frangers at schoolies'.

Typically round 1 you can see a non-finalist (from the year before) ambush a finalist. As much as I'd have liked us to have a soft start, we're probably fortunate that we've got four finalists to start. Anyway, something to consider for footy tipping early in the season!
Was thinking that too.
Getting teams at similar training loads is fairer for all..

I have 20 complete certainties with 10 & 38 ready, & both Lippa & Hyphen flying, leaving the selectors needing to make 3 choices:
Dean or Frampton?
Markov or Noble? (TBH, this is more out of respect for JFN's excellent pre-season - Oleg looks raring to go).
Johnson or McInnes?
Not that it matters what I think, but I'd go with the first named.

Last edited:
I have 20 complete certainties with 10 & 38 ready, & both Lippa & Hyphen flying, leaving the selectors needing to make 3 choices:
Dean or Frampton?
Markov or Noble?
Johnson or McInnes?
Not that it matters what I think, but I'd go with the first named.
The other question is who’s the sub

From the GF side

Out: Murphy and the ducker in poos and wees
In: Ash and Shooter

Lipinski to start and the unlucky Bruiser McCreery to start sub.

Waiting in the wings for their opportunity are Dean, Fin and Reef if any of Howe, Pendelbury, Hill or Mitchel can’t get up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is so good, you must be hoarse!

Like others not expecting any real surprises for the opening round with only 2 changes from our Premiership 23.

Out: Ginnivan, Murphy
In: Schultz, Johnson

Frampton who was in the starting 22 on GF day takes the spot of Murphy in defence, while the newly arrived Schultz obviously replaces Ginnivan up forward.

The preseason form of Lipinski is to good to ignore so he comes into the starting 22.

I'm relegating Johnson to the role of substitute partly because he failed to really separate himself from McInnes in his last outing. He does however seem the preferred option of the two for opening round. I also feel that including the extra ground level player in the starting 22 is probably warranted against a GWS side who love to run and attack in waves. I'm anticipating a hot start to this game and a highly motivated opponent. Cameron and Cox at their best have the ability to be capable marking targets up forward in aid of Mihocek.

Markov Frampton Maynard
Quaynor Moore Crisp
J Daicos N Daicos Lippa
Schultz Mihocek Hill
McReery Cameron WHE
Cox Mitchell Degoey

Int Pendles, Sidey, Howe, Elliott Sub: McInness

What a loaded team. Lacking some quality in the key posts is my only concern, but we’ve shown we can make do. Have opted for McInness as the sub because he offers flexibility, but really tough for Macrae not to get a game.

I would like Cameron and Cox to rotate forward rather than bench.

Macrae first in if a non tall pulls up lame before the game.

Pendles and Sidey should be picked most weeks, preference to have them on field at key moments during games but I really think they should be managed throughout the season, we need them humming come finals.

I don’t expect too many surprise selections.

I actually think Noble is a very good sub candidate. Change out a ruck and bring in a fresh hard runner from half back (which is where our scoring thrusts start). I actually think this is where I would be looking line up our subs to go to all things being equal.

I actually think Noble is a very good sub candidate. Change out a ruck and bring in a fresh hard runner from half back (which is where our scoring thrusts start). I actually think this is where I would be looking line up our subs to go to all things being equal.
I see what you’re saying.
But this assumes the sub will be tactical.
You need more versatility in a sub than what Noble offers.
Injuries will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back