Operation 2018 afl draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Chase Jones ( Tas) , Nick Blakey ( NSW) , Caleb Graham ( Qld ) Ben King ( Vic) , Zane Barzen ( Vic C ) , Matthew Walker ( NSW ) etc etc

But 6 good SA kids at this stage which could double easily
Forgot Barzen, he’ll be a star. I’d put him in with the Walsh/Caldwell group

July article on Rankine;

IZAK Rankine is not paying attention to comments talking up his football potential.

Such as the one from his state under-18 coach Brenton Phillips saying he is talented enough to be playing in the AFL now despite being too young to be drafted until next year.

Instead, Rankine, 17, is concentrating on performing well for West Adelaide.

“I’ve heard a couple of things but don’t want to blow my head up,” Rankine says.

“I haven’t said anything (about the comments), just kept it cool.

“Things are going well for me.

“I just want to stay consistent.”

Anyone who has seen Rankine play over the past 12 months will not be surprised by the excitement surrounding him.

The pacy and clever forward/midfielder has kicked 11 goals from eight league matches for the Bloods, including two on debut against Norwood last year when he was just 16.

This month, Rankine was the only bottom-ager chosen in the all-Australian under-18 team after booting six goals and averaging 19.3 disposals during the national underage titles.

“On my (league) debut I was nervous, for sure, but as soon as I crossed that white line, the nerves went away and it was just about playing football.

“I wasn’t really expecting it to come that fast but it was a good achievement.

“(During the national titles) I stepped up as an under-ager and I took the game on.

“I’ve got to do it again next year.”

Izak Rankine in action against the Allies at this year’s National Championships. Picture Roger Wyman
Rankine, of Mile End, has climbed the ranks at the Bloods from their under-13s.

He says the club and coach Mark Mickan have been crucial to his development.

“Coming into the senior side, it’s a lot more about structure,” Rankine says.

“It’s not just about running around with the ball, it’s about playing your role.”

Rankine, who is 178cm and 74kg, juggles football with basketball for Forestville’s under-18s.

“I enjoy it a lot – it’s another outlet from football,” says Rankine, a fan of NBA team Oklahoma City Thunder.

Sport has always played a major role in his family.

His mother Kerry was a netballer and his three sisters and three brothers tried everything from tennis to rugby.

But football is the family tradition considering his father Ronald Sr is a one-time best and fairest winner at Rosewater.

Brothers Ronald Jr lines up for Modbury, Kobe is at Flinders Park, while Matthew is with South Adelaide and a former under-18 representative.

“We’d always play in the front yard,” Rankine says.

“Kobe’s probably been the biggest help, someone to go one-on-one against to help me develop.

“Matty tells me to keep doing what I’m doing.”

Rankine is very close to his family and it does not take long for him to talk proudly of his heritage.

He is Adelaide-born but a member of the Ngarrindjeri community and Ronald Sr hails from the tiny southeast town of Raukkan.

Rankine, 17, has been to Raukkan quite a few times to see aunties, uncles and learn about more about his lineage.

Family is the major motivation behind his AFL dream.

“Getting drafted would mean everything.

“I’d be able to help my family.

“I’d hope they’d be pretty proud of me.”

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

While this is true 12 months out, it might be a totally different view in 12 months time.
I honestly can't recall a year like 2017 where so many 16 year olds have been so absolutely dominant against the older boys in both the local U18 Comps and State Championships. There's a local kid Tom Berry who was having an outstanding year up until injury intervened and he's hardly gained a mention. Put his name down in your black book for next year, on what he's shown he could even be better than his brother Jarrod and like Jarrod he's a hard as a cat's head inside/outside midfielder with great endurance and athleticism..

Rankine, 17, has been to Raukkan quite a few times to see aunties, uncles and learn about more about his lineage.

Family is the major motivation behind his AFL dream.

“Getting drafted would mean everything.

I’d be able to help my family.

“I’d hope they’d be pretty proud of me.”

Keep repeating this and hope it scars a few into believing he might become a flight risk. Then he might slip a few places to us.

North Melbourne would certainly be looking for multiple picks. They need quantity.

Chase Jones ( Tas) , Nick Blakey ( NSW) , Caleb Graham ( Qld ) Ben King ( Vic) , Zane Barzen ( Vic C ) , Matthew Walker ( NSW ) etc etc

But 6 good SA kids at this stage which could double easily
Btw don’t know a heap about Walker and Graham at this stage, are they both academy?

Yep - Graham is a key position defender from GC and Walker I presume is GWS as had some good NEAFL form for them as a 16/17 yo this year
The one Matthew I do know a fair bit about is Matthew Green - very talented indigenous player. He’s Collingwood academy, though, which sucks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine if we had the academy system the AFL sponsored clubs do.

The only way we get the best talent from SA in the 2018 draft is if we tank a bottom 4 finish.

It’s bloody stupid that we entered a team in the AFL partially because the VFL were stealing our SA players in the 80’s. (Platten, Kernahan, Jarman, Taylor, Blight, Motley, McKay, Bradley)....... and on ........
Now we have a team in the AFL we can’t draft a decent SA kid still. All we’ve done is prop up the struggling Vic teams.

I have a feeling we will end up with Rankine and one other of Lukosius, Rozee It's very clear the crows wanted to keep next years picks so they could bundle them.

Let's say we finish exactly where we did this year and so do Melbourne. We then have picks 10+16 this is equivalent to 2462 Points. Which is basically equivalent to pick 3 which is worth 2234 points this would nab Rankine you would think. Now let's say we also Give away our first rounder for the following year and also carlton's second round pick. this is equivalent to 1912 points. Which is basically equivalent to pick 5. Which Nabs us Lukosius

I have a feeling we will end up with Rankine and one other of Lukosius, Rozee It's very clear the crows wanted to keep next years picks so they could bundle them.

Let's say we finish exactly where we did this year and so do Melbourne. We then have picks 10+16 this is equivalent to 2462 Points. Which is basically equivalent to pick 3 which is worth 2234 points this would nab Rankine you would think. Now let's say we also Give away our first rounder for the following year and also carlton's second round pick. this is equivalent to 1912 points. Which is basically equivalent to pick 5. Which Nabs us Lukosius
In our dreams, never gonna happen. No club in their right mind would give up 3 or 5 for a couple of late first rounders.

We will just have to wait and see. I wonder if how the club approaches the 2018 draft will be affected by how our 2016 draftees (and this year's) progress next year, most of which there have been hopeful opinions on. I think if they're looking the goods, the club go the approach of trading up our 2018/2019 picks to go for Ran/Luk - if not, they could just try to get 3 good draftees some (or maybe even all) of which are SA bred players.

In our dreams, never gonna happen. No club in their right mind would give up 3 or 5 for a couple of late first rounders.
North might - they could have up to 3 Father-Sons they want to draft and as they're rebuilding, having 2 or 3 players around the first round mark could be more helpful than a single pick 1 draftee.

The amount of talk-up about Rankine and Lucokius is amazing,. I can't remember another year where there was so much chatter about 2 blokes over 12 months before they are even eligible to be drafted! I mean,. it's been going on for months already!

God help them both if they aren't the kind of guys that can happen a bit of media pressure!

Huh?

Happens. Every. Single. Year.

Usually with local SA hopes who are going to be like, so, so amazing

We will just have to wait and see. I wonder if how the club approaches the 2018 draft will be affected by how our 2016 draftees (and this year's) progress next year, most of which there have been hopeful opinions on. I think if they're looking the goods, the club go the approach of trading up our 2018/2019 picks to go for Ran/Luk - if not, they could just try to get 3 good draftees some (or maybe even all) of which are SA bred players.

North might - they could have up to 3 Father-Sons they want to draft and as they're rebuilding, having 2 or 3 players around the first round mark could be more helpful than a single pick 1 draftee.
The only way we get rankine is if we lose one of our stars who will be around 28 end of next year. The player will also need to go home to a bottom club such as carlton or north. North have the cash to offer a million plus deal for 5 years. No club will give up a top 3 pick without us giving them value. Well, no club except gold coast.

Last edited:
I honestly can't recall a year like 2017 where so many 16 year olds have been so absolutely dominant against the older boys in both the local U18 Comps and State Championships. There's a local kid Tom Berry who was having an outstanding year up until injury intervened and he's hardly gained a mention. Put his name down in your black book for next year, on what he's shown he could even be better than his brother Jarrod and like Jarrod he's a hard as a cat's head inside/outside midfielder with great endurance and athleticism..
Where do you see Nathan Krueger ending up and what pick number? Smokey for crows?

Where do you see Nathan Krueger ending up and what pick number? Smokey for crows?
Hasn't really lived up to what was expected of him this season after a good under age year. Tall and very athletically gifted but tested fairly ordinarily by all reports in the endurance testing events at the Combine which would have disappointed recruiters I'd think. He's hard one to place for the aforementioned reasons, probably anywhere from late 2nd round onwards would be my best guess, reckon there's every chance he's there at our Pick 39 now if we're interested.

Che
Hasn't really lived up to what was expected of him this season after a good under age year. Tall and very athletically gifted but tested fairly ordinarily by all reports in the endurance testing events at the Combine which would have disappointed recruiters I'd think. He's hard one to place for the aforementioned reasons, probably anywhere from late 2nd round onwards would be my best guess, reckon there's every chance he's there at our Pick 39 now if we're interested.
cheers mate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back