Operation 2018 afl draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm critical of the last three years and it's pretty obvious the fact we could have had Burton graham and Hayward in the team instead of Doedee pohlkoke and Galluci we have made some errors

I don't care they got it right with the crouches they need to get it right every year for us to win a flag

Close enough isn't good enough you do realise we haven't won a flag in twenty years because you can't make mistakes

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Cancel that out with taking durdin and jonty and it doesn't work

But yep , I agree on a couple ( Hayward and Burton ) . Too early for Graham

People were lauding Dunstan after his first season and he's a fringe AFL player now few years later

Cancel that out with taking durdin and jonty and it doesn't work

But yep , I agree on a couple ( Hayward and Burton ) . Too early for Graham

People were lauding Dunstan after his first season and he's a fringe AFL player now few years later

Posters are definetly under rating graham I chose him or Jonty as the two SA lads I wanted Jonty but he has acheived more for Glenelg last year as runner up B and F than all of the crows draftees but that's a pointless debate

Graham on the other hand as a lark medalist and hurting us hugely in the biggest game of the year in his first year and you say it's too early, he definetly hasn't failed to deliver in any way shape or form

Have you mentioned we could have taken Burton over Doedee? How about Hayward over Gallucci? Graham over Poholke?

No let's ignore it and maybe miss out on another player that would have no reason to leave the club because they live here and have friends and family here

Even if those Victorian players were just equivalent to those home growns I would still be unhappy but in this instance they weren't as good

How does the crows team look if we drafted an SA kid instead?
Who we drafted and the next SA kid with a like for like. Smith and Milera are both from SA so the SA kid is a next like for like. ...

To be fair, I think your comparison should have been more like:

2007 - Patrick Dangerfield v Brad Ebert
2008 - Phil Davis
2009 - Daniel Talia v Dan Menzel
2010 - Brodie Smith
2011 - Sam Kerridge v Mitch Grigg
2012 -
2013 - Matt Crouch v Sean Lemmens
2014 - Jake Lever v Sam Durdin
2015 - (Patrick Dangerfield) Wayne Milera / Doedee v Ryan Burton
2016 - Jordan Gullicci v Will Hayward

so that going with a pick SA priority policy we'd have this group:
Davis, Smith, Ebert, DMenzel, Grigg, Lemmens, Durdin, Burton**, Hayward​
vs this group:
Davis, Smith, Dangerfield, Talia, Kerridge, MCrouch, Lever, Milera, Gullicci​

[** would wonder if we would have taken a risk on Burton]

I do wonder how well our talent identification in SA is working - do we spend as much effort in SA as we do in VIC? How much is Ogilvie involved in SA evaluation?

We did miss Lochie Neale afterall - or is that just something we couldn't help miss even if we had the same success rate as we do with Vic prospects?

I was enjoying this thread until Marty ripped it apart with his tripe yet again.
Marty, I doubt there is a single reader that isn't aware of your views. Despite your zeal you seem to have converted no one. It's time to give it a rest and stop derailing threads

On SM-G900 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was enjoying this thread until Marty ripped it apart with his tripe yet again.
Marty, I doubt there is a single reader that isn't aware of your views. Despite your zeal you seem to have converted no one. It's time to give it a rest and stop derailing threads

On SM-G900 using BigFooty.com mobile app

You have heard of the ignore button haven't you?

I actually said there are occasions where they are limited choices

But I've named the last two years

We all know Burton was an f up the debate on that is flippin ridiculous shouldnt even be defended

Graham was coming off winning the bloody lark medal and we could have had him at pohlkokes pick you don't have to be a brain surgeon to work that out

Hayward was rated and we could have had him in front of Galluci

It's not hard this guys get paid to do this for a living I reckon the last two years would knock their KPI s around

Why are you still anti-Doedee and pro-Burton?

Doedee is going to be a fantastic replacement for us this year. The guy just loved to complete and has been developed beautifully. Burton is good, but the jury is still out whether he'll have a knee in three years time.

Gallucci is a better get that Hayward. The Gooch will be a genuine mid who can push forward. Hayward will never have the tank, and will float in and out of games as a midsized forward.

You have heard of the ignore button haven't you?

I don't think the fact that people can hit ignore gives you the excuse to post the same two garbage opinions over and over again. It's like having a conversation about air safety with Rainman.

Have you mentioned we could have taken Burton over Doedee? How about Hayward over Gallucci? Graham over Poholke?

I think only a million times.

It's obvious that talent development in SA is at a disastrous level. Just drafting SA lads would have us bottom four.

We arent inept in recognising talent once they are drafted by the coaches we have and those three have been recognised by Sydney, Richmond and Hawthorn, I would rate our talent recognition of drafted talent as good if not better which is why although we lose players we recognise talent to replace them

I think differently. We seem scared to come play raw players!
Not too sure about Graham but you could argue the other 2 played due to the depleting injuries to their teams had in 2017.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marty might be the lone voice in wanting Graham over Poholke, but if it were Poholke who kicked three in the gf and tagged Sloane people would have gone hard at Ogilvie and co. Way to early to call it anyway, AFL is littered with players who started their career well and faded off.

The more I look at the 2018 draft, the more I believe it could turn out to be a defining moment in Adelaide's history. There is going to be some absolutely elite SA talent available and if we decide to, and are prepared to make some really hard decisions, then we could set ourselves up for the next 10 years. Contrary to what most people here are saying, it's not the top end talent but the depth of the 2018 draft that makes it possible for us. There will be several clubs like GC, Bris and NM who would look favorably on trading down to get 2 or 3 great players instead of 1 elite player.
Rankine, Lukosius and Rozee as well as the WA lad Ian Hill are guys you could build a team around and we are in the position where we might be able to get the majority or all of them. On current rankings we would need picks around 2, 4, 10 and 12 but of course a lot can change in 12 months, and currently we have ours and Melbourne's firsts and Carlton's second. Looking at the realistic prospects for next year I would not be surprised to see Carlton low and us and Melbourne mid table. This would give us say picks 8, 9 and 10 (Sloane compo), 22 (Carlton's 2nd) and 2019 first. Added to this we have a few players who we could look to maximise their value and trade now. I know it's risky to trade champions but I honestly believe that we could loose Talia, Sloane, JJ, Atkins and Kelly without costing us too much pain, and the potential upside would be huge. The other potential bonus of doing this is you would free up over 2 million of salary cap space, which I would love to see us use to throw a ridiculous offer at McGovern Senior, who is an absolute star. Much better player than Lever all round IMO.

In summary our potential assets would be:
Picks 8, 9, 10, 22 and 2019 first
Talia, JJ, Atkins and Kelly

Our potential in's would be:
Rankine, Lukosius, Hill, Rozee and McGovern

Our potential starting side in 2019 would then be

Brown Hartigan Laird
Keath McGovern Smith
Milera Gibbs Hill
Lynch McGovern Lukosius
Betts Walker Rankine

Jacobs M Crouch B Crouch

Doedee, Seedsman, Knight, Greenwood, Rozee, Gallucci

This might all seem fanciful, and would depend on a lot of factors working our way obviously, but that side looks so good that I would love to see us at least implement a plan to try and achieve it.

Not sure if this has been covered yet but does the 2018 draft hold any FS prospects for us? I know there's another Edwards coming through at some point but wasn't sure if that was a few years away yet!

... I know there's another Edwards coming through at some point but wasn't sure if that was a few years away yet!
... In summary our potential assets would be:
Picks 8, 9, 10, 22 and 2019 first. ...
Luke Edwards is expected in 2019 draft and possibly a r1 prospect (we will see next year how this is looking and hopefully F-S for us not affected if we end up not getting Jackson this year).

Anyways, if it looks like LEdwards is good for 2019 r1, we ought to try using our 2019 r1 to upgrade one of our picks - whether our best one or try to upgrade a r2 pick - if we're going to be forced to use our best 2019 pick on him.

Luke Edwards is expected in 2019 draft and possibly a r1 prospect (we will see next year how this is looking and hopefully F-S for us not affected if we end up not getting Jackson this year).

Anyways, if it looks like LEdwards is good for 2019 r1, we ought to try using our 2019 r1 to upgrade one of our picks - whether our best one or try to upgrade a r2 pick - if we're going to be forced to use our best 2019 pick on him.
Good point.

Just saw Ogilvie and campo leaving the old lion with Mitch crowden... make of that what you will
giphy.gif

Just saw Ogilvie and campo leaving the old lion with Mitch crowden... make of that what you will
Had a look at this years highlights. Strong big chested player which gives him a strong centre of gravity ie hard to pin down. Breaks tackles keeping his arms free to give off if required. Kicking could be better but workable. I like his understanding of the use of space ie if he cant do so he doesnt look to put it to the player but in space for the other player to run onto. See ball get ball attitude. Can tackle and tackle quickly.

Would not mind.

Reminds me of: My initial thoughts were Rory Laird but that was more body shape. The other that came to mind was Mick Nunan.

Had a look at this years highlights. Strong big chested player which gives him a strong centre of gravity ie hard to pin down. Breaks tackles keeping his arms free to give off if required. Kicking could be better but workable. I like his understanding of the use of space ie if he cant do so he doesnt look to put it to the player but in space for the other player to run onto. See ball get ball attitude. Can tackle and tackle quickly.

Would not mind.

Reminds me of: My initial thoughts were Rory Laird but that was more body shape. The other that came to mind was Mick Nunan.
If you left the footage of Mitch Crowden with the view that his kicking could be better then that piece of footage is not indicative of his kicking across his whole junior/senior football career. Kicking is honestly one of his defining points, he is a very good and penetrating kick.

I'm sure LC40 who has seen a lot more of him than I will back me up on that and any others that regularly attend SANFL games. Mitch's size/height and his already strong well developed physique is probably why a lot of recruiters would have ??? marks on his potential upside.

Current indications are he'll go late in the ND or more likely the rookie draft if one of the SA clubs are keen....could even go undrafted.

Personally I think the only certain SA draftees in this draft are Darcy Fogarty, Jordan Houlahan, Charlie Ballard, Callum Coleman-Jones, Andrew McPherson and Jackson Edwards. I'd like us to rookie Norwood's ball magnet Stefan Giro if he doesn't get taken in the National Draft, just one of those natural footballers that keeps finding the pill.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back