Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Pretty much, and if we fininsh top 4 with Melb then we most likely wont get Rozee.
Oh well 2 of Jackson Hately, Luke Valente, Hugo Munn or Tom Lewis would be a decent get on what they've shown thus far.......then late/rookie pick for developing Ruckman.... Ruben Flinn. :)

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Cal Twomey's early top 10 prospects.

Jack Lukosius

Key forward
194cm/82kg
Woodville-West Torrens/South Australia
9/8/2000

Lukosius showed why many consider him the early favourite to be next year's No.1 pick when he kicked four goals in his SANFL debut for Woodville-West Torrens in a preliminary final earlier this year. It was a performance that showed why so many are excited about him: he's tall, athletic, smart on the lead and a beautiful, long kick. He also had a standout game for South Australia against the Allies during the under-18 carnival.

Sam Walsh
Midfielder
182cm/70kg
Geelong Falcons/Vic Country
2/7/2000

The Geelong Falcons prospect looks like one of the leading midfielders in his crop. He has a good mix of winning his own disposals and getting them out for his team, but is also nice when in flight and taking the game on with some sharp running. He pushes forward to kick goals, is a nice user of the ball and with some extra muscle on his frame will be hard to stop. Starred for the Falcons on their way to the TAC Cup flag.

Ben King
Key forward/defender
201cm/79kg
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro
7/7/2000

King and his twin brother Max will create plenty of headlines next year as two of the highly touted big men in an exciting crop. Ben has played predominantly as a defender so far in his junior career, where he has shown good athleticism and rebound. But when his brother went down with injury this year, King switched forward and also kicked a couple of bags there so can comfortably play at both ends.

Max King
Key forward/defender
201cm/82kg
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro
7/7/2000

Max King has played mainly in the forward line and occasionally as a ruckman so far, and impressed for the Dragons at times throughout his bottom-age season. He has a good turn of pace for a player his size and is able to get around the ground with a strong endurance base and aerobic capacity. His marking is also top-end, having shown he can take grabs on the lead or in a pack situation.

Izak Rankine
Half-forward/midfielder
178cm/74kg
West Adelaide/South Australia
23/4/2000

Already looks a star and a likely early pick after a brilliant campaign as a 17-year-old this year. Rankine is a quick, classy and talented half-forward who also plays through the midfield. He lights up games with his exquisite skills and is ultra-dangerous around goal. He was named the best player for the under-17 NAB AFL All Stars game on Grand Final eve this season and looks a jet already.

Nick Blakey
Midfielder/forward
194cm/75kg
Swans academy/NSW-ACT
27/2/2000

Three clubs will fight for Blakey's services next year, with the midfielder able to join North Melbourne and the Brisbane Lions as a father-son prospect (his father John played with the Roos and Fitzroy) and also the Swans as an academy pick. Sydney appears the early favourite, but Blakey will be hoping for more luck with injury next year after a back concern ended his 2017 campaign early. At his height, Blakey is considered a utility who can be used anywhere.

Tarryn Thomas
Midfielder
189cm/71kg
North Launceston/Tasmania
25/3/2000

Thomas has been on the radar for a couple of years. His 2016 season was particularly special, when he was named Tasmania's best player in its under-18 side despite not being draft eligible for two more years. The indigenous prospect has good skills and a turn of pace, and rarely fumbles when under pressure. North Melbourne will get access to Thomas under the Next Generation Academy program.

Ian Hill
Half-forward/midfielder
174cm/63kg
Perth/Western Australia
9/2/2000

Hill was ultra-exciting at stages throughout Western Australia's under-18 carnival earlier this year, lighting games up with his run and dash. Hill is the type of player to take the game on and he has the foot skills to match up with that and make the most of his damaging and line-breaking displays.

Isaac Quaynor
Half-back
180cm/77kg
Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro
15/1/2000

Quaynor has been something of a surprise packet as a bottom-ager, blossoming into a damaging, creative and smart half-back for the Oakleigh Chargers late in the TAC Cup season. He reads the game well from there and has nice skills to offer some rebound. Collingwood has Quaynor in its Next Generation Academy.

Curtis Taylor
Midfielder
186cm/74cm
Calder Cannons/Vic Metro
6/4/2000

Taylor has some real class and that comes through in the way he plays through the midfield. He's a good kick, and he also uses his solid height to take some marks around the ground. Was one of seven players who were added to the level two NAB AFL Academy squad for 2017/18, showing he made an impression as a bottom-ager and is one to look for next year.
The two best TAC mid prospects I saw this year playing as under agers were Jack Bytel and Tom Berry, both hard as nails with a great blend of an inside/outside game, both possess good pace and work hard off the ball. Sam Walsh and Jye Caldwell in the same conversation but not quite the hardness of Berry and Bytel.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
The two best TAC mid prospects I saw this year playing as under agers were Jack Bytel and Tom Berry, both hard as nails with a great blend of an inside/outside game, both possess good pace and work hard off the ball. Sam Walsh and Jye Caldwell in the same conversation but not quite the hardness of Berry and Bytel.
I still think Sam Walsh could end up going pick 1 . Very complete midfielder inside and out

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
I’m a very big wrap for Caldwell. Will def go top 10, maybe too 5. Extremely well balanced player with a good ability to go forward

Walsh I do relate higher, though

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Oh well 2 of Jackson Hately, Luke Valente, Hugo Munn or Tom Lewis would be a decent get on what they've shown thus far.......then late/rookie pick for developing Ruckman.... Ruben Flinn. :)
I havent seen alot of Hately but he has some wraps on him. Will be interesting to see how he goes next year.
Darryl Hart rated Valente up with Rankine in his U16 year so he could be a good shot.

So if you had to do a top 10 at the moment, where would they all sit?

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I havent seen alot of Hately but he has some wraps on him. Will be interesting to see how he goes next year.
Darryl Hart rated Valente up with Rankine in his U16 year so he could be a good shot.

So if you had to do a top 10 at the moment, where would they all sit?

I think at this point Lukosius and Rankine look certain high end top 10, Rozee almost certainly mid - late 1st round, Hately late 1st - 2nd round, Valente 2nd round, Lewis an inside mid 3rd round possibly, Munn a KPF 196cm 92 Kg is an interesting one and hard to place possibly 3rd - 4th round at this time? Of course form in 2018 will be the final determinant with our boys as well as all potential draftees.

Banshee23

All Australian
Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWT Eagles / Grêmio / Strikers
I would try and get creative and offer our 2018 first round and Carlton’s 2018 second round for Freo’s 2018 first round (Using 2017 final ladder positions, this would approximately be picks 17 & 21 for pick 5).

Why would Freo do that?

They probably wouldn’t … but there is daylight between their 1st pick (first round) and their 2nd pick (fifth round ~ 77), and they might decide they want 2 great players in a “superdraft” instead of 1 elite player.

Gotta at least ask the question…

Collingwood are another club that might want to get their hands on more draft picks in the 1st and 2nd round of the draft.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I would try and get creative and offer our 2018 first round and Carlton’s 2018 second round for Freo’s 2018 first round (Using 2017 final ladder positions, this would approximately be picks 17 & 21 for pick 5).

Why would Freo do that?

They probably wouldn’t … but there is daylight between their 1st pick (first round) and their 2nd pick (fifth round ~ 77), and they might decide they want 2 great players in a “superdraft” instead of 1 elite player.

Collingwood are another club that might want to get their hands on more draft picks in the 1st and 2nd round of the draft.
Cant see them doing that. They might want to get Hill from WA with that pick 5.

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle

Why would Freo do that?

No team will be trading out of the top 10 next year unless it's a godfather offer. Pick 17 and 22 isn't really that enticing and the top end of the draft looks insane (That's why you want in).

Also we have our first academy player coming through next year (Jason Carter) that has been mentioned as a potential top 20. We would obviously want a pick before he gets nominated so we could have a double bite out of the top end, trading down to Pick 17 could put that in jeopardy.

Banshee23

All Australian
Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWT Eagles / Grêmio / Strikers
No team will be trading out of the top 10 next year unless it's a godfather offer. Pick 17 and 22 isn't really that enticing and the top end of the draft looks insane (That's why you want in).

Also we have our first academy player coming through next year (Jason Carter) that has been mentioned as a potential top 20. We would obviously want a pick before he gets nominated so we could have a double bite out of the top end, trading down to Pick 17 could put that in jeopardy.

Of course. A lot of water to go under the bridge anyways - you might not even have pick 5, if you have a good year!

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

Great ......means Sloane is staying !

Hodgy

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2009
Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Red Bull F1

I actually think it might be the year that some teams are happy to trade down. Might not be Freo but Brisbane and GC might because of the strong depth of next years crop. Trading say pick 2 for 3 picks around 20 would mean getting 3 great players instead of 1 elite player, and this could be very enticing to clubs trying to rebuild.

Anyway, it's the only year I would be happy to finish 1 place behind Port:).

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sloane is a restricted free agent so a top 5 pick may get done landing Rankine

The ideal situation is Carlton finish low and take Lukosius and he gets home sick and in 2-3 years time we tell them we will make them All Australians like Betts, Jacobs and Gibbs.

I think we will be left with picks around 12, 16, 20.
Surely its then possible to get Rozee and Hately along with Edwards in 2019.

With Fogarty at 12 last year all of a sudden its possible to have 5 1st round SA players then you chuck the kitchen sink at Lukosius in 3 years.

Lukosius, Fogarty, M.McGovern, Rankine forward line.

3 games into 2018 and comparing Doodee to Burton one may think the Crows might get it right. I wasnt happy with the original selection.
Comparing the recruiting of Gallucci to Hayward doesn't take into consideration at the time Adelaide were screaming for midfielders.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think we will be left with picks around 12, 16, 20.
Surely its then possible to get Rozee and Hately along with Edwards in 2019.

With Fogarty at 12 last year all of a sudden its possible to have 5 1st round SA players then you chuck the kitchen sink at Lukosius in 3 years.

Lukosius, Fogarty, M.McGovern, Rankine forward line.

3 games into 2018 and comparing Doodee to Burton one may think the Crows might get it right. I wasnt happy with the original selection.
Comparing the recruiting of Gallucci to Hayward doesn't take into consideration at the time Adelaide were screaming for midfielders.
Looking like Edwards will be in 2020 draft (coupla weeks too young for 2019)

LC40

Club Legend
Oct 14, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I know the saying is draft the best player on the board but who in our team do we really have to start planning to find a replacements for in the next couple of years?
We are now at the stage where we'll need to bring in a new pool of talent soon.

Our key position forwards going forward look slim to me.
Harry Dear at 197cms and Himmelberg at 198 cms have not progressed as much as I would have liked to see.They have talent but neither are dominant players in the SANFL.
Fog looks good but is he a key positional player? Sure he's solid and tough but he is only 192 cms, that's not overly tall for a key forward.
I just can't see us having the picks in the top 10 to select the players a lot of posters are mentioning.

I'm perplexed at what our draft strategy will be this year with perhaps 3 picks in the first 25.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I know the saying is draft the best player on the board but who in our team do we really have to start planning to find a replacements for in the next couple of years?

Harry Dear at 197cms and Himmelberg at 198 cms have not progressed as much as I would have liked to see.They have talent but neither are dominant players in the SANFL.
Fog looks good but is he a key positional player? Sure he's solid and tough but he is only 192 cms, that's not overly tall for a key forward.
I just can't see us having the picks in the top 10 to select the players a lot of posters are mentioning.

I'm perplexed at what our draft strategy will be this year with perhaps 3 picks in the first 25.
Himmelberg still weighs 92kgs or something like that. Like, Ellis Yolman is heavier than him. He's playing SANFL, but he's still going against full size guys, Dear has 10 kgs on him, he should be the one who can use his physicality to his advantage, Himmelberg is still relying mostly on his height at this stage.

Plus it's not like we have the greatest delivery inside 50 to our forwards at SANFL level.

Squiba

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

A truley talented, class small forward is the need, IMO. Betts has a couple of years yet, but Rankine would do well from the apprenticeship and be good to go year 1.

Back