List Mgmt. Operation : Bloody get Rankine

Remove this Banner Ad

Never say never!

Who knows what the next 12 months will bring.
Well yes, we did say the same re Fogarty ......but it's a huge leap of faith to think there's a chance

Very little chance of Rankine dropping IMO ......his "tricks" are magical & ingrained

Difference with Francis and Fog too is that they are highly skilled players. Very, very good kicks of the footy.

However I can understand the concern / failings of those big brutes who dominate junior level because of size and little else.

Fogarty and Francis are certainly not in that category, many more strings to their bow.
Pavlich says high

Great to find the Fogarty discussion though ......thought it might be in the Fogarty thread, silly me ......should have gone straight to the Rankine thread :p

Pavlich says high

Great to find the Fogarty discussion though ......thought it might be in the Fogarty thread, silly me ......should have gone straight to the Rankine thread :p

Unfortunately knowing what Pavlich was like as a Junior is a little past my time as a younger supporter.

But again, I’d still consider Pavlich one of the more skilled big men I’ve come across with a very good footy brain, and I think that shows in his ability to play all over the park.

If you’re skilful and have a high footy IQ, you could be Pavlich or you could be Caleb Daniel, but I’d figure you’d have a damn good chance at making it at afl level.

Well yes, we did say the same re Fogarty ......but it's a huge leap of faith to think there's a chance

Very little chance of Rankine dropping IMO ......his "tricks" are magical & ingrained
Look many things could happen between now and draft time. Rankine might do knee or a shoulder and miss whole of the season much like Jake Lever and Phil Davis did. Melbourne or us could have a stinker of a year due to both form and injuries that sees one or both of us finish bottom 4 which at least gives us a chance.

A LOT of water to go under the bridge between now and late November next year.

Many were surprised that we got the two SA boys this draft...there was also a WA player coveted as an early pick and he went late first round to West Coast. Seems to me that the “go home” factor played a role in these players falling so low - even the Vic Clubs are being wary. This could be in our favour for a change? We also have two firsts, two seconds and two thirds in next years draft and these could be manipulated some how into a higher pick? And then there’s Sloane...

If the GC snap up the Kings, North finishes 16th or 17th and Nick Blakey nominates us, then I think we would be very conducive to having a chat with Adelaide about a pick swap, so that we could also facilitate the drafting of Tarryn Thomas.

I agree there is a lot of water to go under the bridge, but the feasibility of this is quite reasonable.

One things for certain, next years trade and draft activity is going to be off the charts..

Many were surprised that we got the two SA boys this draft...there was also a WA player coveted as an early pick and he went late first round to West Coast. Seems to me that the “go home” factor played a role in these players falling so low - even the Vic Clubs are being wary. This could be in our favour for a change? We also have two firsts, two seconds and two thirds in next years draft and these could be manipulated some how into a higher pick? And then there’s Sloane...
I don't think its had much to do with the go home factor. I think its just the way the cards have fallen.

Reportedly this draft was even in terms of talent. Hell we didn't really know who was going at #1 until about 3 days leading into the draft. Due to evenness of the draft we saw quite a few "sliders" with Fogarty being an obvious one for us. All clubs would favor the home grown if the talent is even that is what we have seen.

Another factor that contributed to this was that there were 3 clubs who had 2 picks inside top 10. That essentially means that clubs with multiple picks that early tend do calculate a bit and go for the needs basis. Another factor that contributes to the "sliders". Things could have been very different with no teams had multiple picks inside top 10. There is a far chance that there wouldn't have been as many sliders as there was on the night.

Im all on the Rankine train, but I think Bicks might be right in that Jack Lucosious may tip him out for number 1 pick.

I'm tending to lean this way.

He would be dominating CHB before he reached 50 games.

Im all on the Rankine train, but I think Bicks might be right in that Jack Lucosious may tip him out for number 1 pick.
All depends if you want a Cyril Rioli or a Nick Reiwoldt......I'm Reiwoldt on that one.

Edit : This boy might enter into those calculations too..

Last edited:
If the GC snap up the Kings, North finishes 16th or 17th and Nick Blakey nominates us, then I think we would be very conducive to having a chat with Adelaide about a pick swap, so that we could also facilitate the drafting of Tarryn Thomas.

I agree there is a lot of water to go under the bridge, but the feasibility of this is quite reasonable.

One things for certain, next years trade and draft activity is going to be off the charts..
Might have to extend the trade period...:eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've got two firsts but only one second and one third.

Ah yes, we swapped 2nd and 3rd rounders with Carlton. Thought we’d also added a 2nd and 3rd for Lever (or Danger)???

We gave Carlton our future second but actually gave the Demons our 2018 third rounder in the deal for Lever.

In 2018 we have our first rounder, Melbourne's first, Carlton's second, Carlton's third, our fourth and Melbourne's fourth.

The Danger deal didn't involve any future picks; you can only trade picks from one year ahead anyway.

Had a chat with a Westies player about Rankine in Saturday.

He could slip in the draft as he is not keen to leave Adelaide.

I'd be surprised if that happened.

A side would just draft him in the knowledge that 2 x 1st round picks or player and 1st round pick would be returning in exchange.

I'd be surprised if that happened.

A side would just draft him in the knowledge that 2 x 1st round picks or player and 1st round pick would be returning in exchange.
Would the roos do that of they landed 1...look what happened with Schache (granted Brisbane stuffed up the negotiations - who is their HoF again?)

Had a chat with a Westies player about Rankine in Saturday.

He could slip in the draft as he is not keen to leave Adelaide.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
So we just want Port to finish above Melbourne! Go Pow....no wait, Boo Melbourne

Would the roos do that of they landed 1...look what happened with Schache (granted Brisbane stuffed up the negotiations - who is their HoF again?)

I base my premise on the belief that the Crows and Power will both have 1st round picks in the teens and this will end up being too deep in the draft for Rankine to be overlooked. It's possible he may not go 1-3, but I struggle to see him slipping outside the top 6.

The difference with this years draft is that it doesn't look like being a draft that slides away after the first couple of picks. Walsh may end up being the highest ranked midfielder by the time the draft comes around. There are going to be a hell of a lot of variables that are going to play out before this years draft. The possible trading of Lynch being one of them.

Right now, today, if North had pick 1, I would take Rankine on a player type needs basis.

However, we need to also remember that live trading of picks will occur in 2018 right up until the trade. The Crows/Port may come calling with an offer that is too good to refuse. Rankine slipping to the Crows or Powers 1st pick is the least likely scenario I can foresee.

Well a current SANFL must be a super expert in the off field matters of AFL clubs
Read what I said.

All I said is that I was told he wants to stay in Adelaide.

It is pretty common knowledge Chad Wingard was not drafted by GWS as he gave the impression he would struggle to live out of SA.

I said he could slide. Not would.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

All I said is that I was told he wants to stay in Adelaide
I suppose the question is, where does honesty end, and draft tampering begin? I'm sure most young players would present themselves as well as they can to all clubs, just to get a shot. But what if a player quite honestly wants to stay in Adelaide, for any number of reasons? Should he say that, in interviews, or is it draft tampering".

"Yeah, I really love Adelaide. I've grown up here and I have a lot of mates here, and I'm very close to my parents and siblings. The Adelaide lifestyle really suits me." Is that draft tampering?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back