List Mgmt. Operation : Bloody get Rankine

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive loved this kid since last year (best highlights package I reckon I've seen in a draftee) but there is something putting me off recently.

I don't know. Maybe I'd like to see higher possession numbers. He clearly has all the talent in the world to do it.

I’ve heard Rankin has some bomber Thompson related issues
Geelong set up a dynasty on the gear. Didn't hurt west coast either. Buddy is flat out allowed to take out rows of parked cars while on the Columbian marching powder.

Not fussed.

Probably could've done with some in the GF tbh

Ive loved this kid since last year (best highlights package I reckon I've seen in a draftee) but there is something putting me off recently.

I don't know. Maybe I'd like to see higher possession numbers. He clearly has all the talent in the world to do it.
In all seriousness and not this bullshit playing down of Rankine joke:

I agree, his production is very Rioli and his fading in and out is quite poor. He also doesn't lay overly high tackle numbers to somewhat compensate, which is a warning sign IMO. I think that, although he is rolled gold skill wise, he may not be the player that teams would want in the top 5 or 6. He won't be a player that can grab the game by the balls in the face of adveristy and turn the tide, as inside mids can be. He seems to rely slightly on the dominance of the SA team as a whole.

Luko, Walsh, Hately, Smith, Kings should all be slightly ahead right now imo, with Thomas and Blakely in the mix as well.

The real question is, what do we give up in order to position ourselves to take Rankine if he goes before our first? If he goes at say 6 and we have 7, what are we prepared to give up on live trading to move up. I suspect the cost will be too great. Would we even be willing to do 7 and 19 for 6? Not sure about that. I doubt that the club below us would do 7 and 37.

Geelong set up a dynasty on the gear. Didn't hurt west coast either. Buddy is flat out allowed to take out rows of parked cars while on the Columbian marching powder.

Not fussed.

Probably could've done with some in the GF tbh

Everyone is on the gear. Half the players in each team are on the occasional 'something'.

Every now and then is OK. When it becomes a Bennell, Garlett, Cousins, Yarran, Kerr problem (why are all the druggies West Australians?), then there are issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The real question is, what do we give up in order to position ourselves to take Rankine if he goes before our first? If he goes at say 6 and we have 7, what are we prepared to give up on live trading to move up. I suspect the cost will be too great. Would we even be willing to do 7 and 19 for 6? Not sure about that. I doubt that the club below us would do 7 and 37.
I’d be happy if they did 7 and 19 to get rankine on draft night if he was picked a pick or two before us... just wouldn’t be happy if we gave up three pick under 20 to get pick 1 and lukosious..

Using two picks to move up I’m fine with.. 3 is a bridge too far.

I think the puzzle wont get finished until the end of the season. I get the feeling the decision from Sloane and anybody else will decide our strategy. As it stands we have 8, 13 , 19 and 37. I personally think we can get at least 2 good players in with those. Hopefully more.

On that the club may choose to stay in the draft.

If Sloane or others decide to leave then that may boost any trading coin to get higher and still leave some to draft in players

I think the puzzle wont get finished until the end of the season. I get the feeling the decision from Sloane and anybody else will decide our strategy. As it stands we have 8, 13 , 19 and 37. I personally think we can get at least 2 good players in with those. Hopefully more.

If Sloane or others decide to leave then that may boost any trading coin to get higher and still leave some to draft in players
I think:
- Sloane leaves band 1 compo (pick 9)
- Gov to Freo or Carlton + Pick 13 for Lukosius. If it’s Freo two firsts only Pick 7 to Carlton.
- Pick 8 Rankine
- Pick 9 midfielder
- Pick 19 Valente/Kennerly (want both)

Also guys haven't stopped climbing and guys haven't stopped falling on draft boards. Rankine might end up being a mid teen prospect when its all said and done, Hately might end up a top 10 candidate if his year keeps improving.

Some kid might come out of no-where and kick 5 goals in the SANFL grand final and push himself from round 2-3 to the top half of round 1.

Happens every year!

Also guys haven't stopped climbing and guys haven't stopped falling on draft boards. Rankine might end up being a mid teen prospect when its all said and done, Hately might end up a top 10 candidate if his year keeps improving.

Some kid might come out of no-where and kick 5 goals in the SANFL grand final and push himself from round 2-3 to the top half of round 1.

Happens every year!

I reckon he is 1 on talent alone. His highlights are just full of headshaking and *wow* moments.

The question marks that push him down from there, are consistency and numbers (for mine a player with his talent, playing as a half forward/ mid, should be getting more of the ball).

Depends on what happens with Sloane. If we wind up with 6 and 7 for instance, and he's on the board, then we take him knowing we have Melbournes pick and Carltons 2nd rounder.

If we keep Sloane and only get 6 or 7, we probably go another direction.

Of course if Gov leaves....... we might have every option available.

I reckon he is 1 on talent alone. His highlights are just full of headshaking and *wow* moments.

The question marks that push him down from there, are consistency and numbers (for mine a player with his talent, playing as a half forward/ mid, should be getting more of the ball).
For me its his body control that's elite, it makes his highlights package just off the screen, but you're right they are often a little light when it comes to quantity. I'd love to see him 3 years into an AFL program. Rankine getting 22-28 disposals a game would be worth the price of admission!

For me its his body control that's elite, it makes his highlights package just off the screen, but you're right they are often a little light when it comes to quantity. I'd love to see him 3 years into an AFL program. Rankine getting 22-28 disposals a game would be worth the price of admission!
He only needs 15 with the skillset he has.

The knock on Rankine is that he’s a bit full of himself; well he’s seventeen. Most people I know (and have known since that age) were total arseclowns at that age; he’ll grow up but his talent will never leave.
Adelaide could do with a bit less character driven recruitment (solid citizens) and a bit more grunt (like Fogarty) and self confidence.

He's a weapon for sure. On talent alone, he should turn out to be the best in the draft for mine.

I just cant go all in for him. There is just a nagging doubt.

The knock on Rankine is that he’s a bit full of himself; well he’s seventeen. Most people I know (and have known since that age) were total arseclowns at that age; he’ll grow up but his talent will never leave.
Adelaide could do with a bit less character driven recruitment (solid citizens) and a bit more grunt (like Fogarty) and self confidence.
It's not quite that simple, but the thought is right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back