Bring back Watto?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

HotSausage69

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's clear to me that Shane Watson has more to give to the Australian cricket team. He is still, at 37, one of the most explosive batsmen in the country. Twist his arm and get him back this year for the World Cup. Although he's not much of a bowler anymore and he maybe doesn't have that all-rounder capability, he is a great batsman in the short forms and his record speaks for itself. I would feel a lot more confident in this side with Watto in the line up blasting the opposition to all parts of the ground. The T20 World cup is just around the corner next year and without a doubt in my mind he would be a huge weapon for the team as his last hurrah. Sign the petition.

CKNcFEJUkAYjf5t.jpg

Anyone remember all of those plum LBWs he reviewed?
This is a bit of a fallacy. Below are some of his most famous reviews. There are 1 or 2 that are plumb but most of them are just clipping the stumps and are umpires call. He got pretty unlucky as the English played the media superbly by constantly talking about what a big LBW candidate he was.

This is a bit of a fallacy. Below are some of his most famous reviews. There are 1 or 2 that are plumb but most of them are just clipping the stumps and are umpires call. He got pretty unlucky as the English played the media superbly by constantly talking about what a big LBW candidate he was.
He was and still is a superb LBW candidate.

It was also team policy at the time to review all LBW decisions and hope there is a fault to keep you in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got nothing but love for Watto, used to be a great limited-overs allrounder, now he's just limited and rounder.

Other than that, the reason his international career is over is the small matter of him having to actually want to play T20I cricket.

I think Watto is happy to slog around the domestic competitions.

Watto should be thanking Mitch Marsh - Watto left as a pauper he has turned into a prince.
Yep, you get out from a dumb shot for the Thunder or whoever and hardly anybody blinks an eye. Screw up for Australia and people want your head on a plate. What old bloke needs the stress?

I’d say luck wasn’t as much of a part of it as his fairly inflexible ‘thrust’ technique.

Absolutely I agree it was a myth that he was constantly checking middle stump half way up leg-befores, but he had a habit of just plonking that leg straight down the wicket which made it pretty easy to be given out.

Got to love this time of the year when people start looking at 20/20 form as a guide to ability and possible future in real cricket matches.
Hit and giggle form is exactly that, just hit and giggle form and should never ever be discussed to play any format beyond that.

Yep, you get out from a dumb shot for the Thunder or whoever and hardly anybody blinks an eye. Screw up for Australia and people want your head on a plate. What old bloke needs the stress?

exactly. a guy last night hit his own stumps and the response was for people to just laugh. If that happened in an T20I the guy would be tarred and feathered.

No thanks.

Pleased to see him strut his stuff in BBL but the step up is huge. Also consider how many runs you can lose in the field in limited overs cricket - do we need to take the risk on a slowing old bloke who broke down a lot in his prime of the career?

My favourite memory of watto was when he plonked his front foot down the pitch. Missed the ball by a foot, was given out lbw cos it was plumb and used up a review

Back