Coach Operation Get Hardwick

Remove this Banner Ad

How big a difference in pay do you think there is between an assistant coach, snr assistant, snr coach and an overseeing role like "Director of coaching"?

Pretty sure if I was Hardwick's manager I'd be telling him to cash in and set himself and his family up. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get multiple offers as soon as he puts the word out he's open to listening to them.

Probably in 10 years you might get away with paying him as a behind the scenes "Director of coaching" type role. No pressure but still gets the kick of being involved and mentoring at the highest level. With 3 months off a year.

Kenny on the other hand...

My preference for coach in 2024 would be

1- Hardwick
2- Carr
3- Hinkley

I would rather lose Hinkley than lose Carr. Wait till September if Hinkley fails to make a GF sack him. Attempt to get Hardwick but if he refuses sign Carr. Hopefully by end of September Carr hasn’t committed to Richmond already.

A lot has changed since then. Now he's a premiership player and triple premiership coach nudging 50 years of age. I can't make a case of why he'd want to coach here, if indeed he ever wants to coach again.

JHF Butters Rozee isn't enough?

My preference for coach in 2024 would be

1- Hardwick
2- Carr
3- Hinkley

I would rather lose Hinkley than lose Carr. Wait till September if Hinkley fails to make a GF sack him. Attempt to get Hardwick but if he refuses sign Carr. Hopefully by end of September Carr hasn’t committed to Richmond already.
Like this but I'd swap Carr and Hardwick.

Josh is young and hungry, and I get the feeling Hardwick is used to having rockstar assistant coaches supporting him, which likely wouldn't be the case at Port

Forget it, Hardwick ain't coming to a shithole like Adelaide that has as much if not more scrutiny than Melbourne. The weather sux too.

With 3 flags already he's got nothing to prove here. His next legacy maybe to get Gold Coast into their first finals series, which shouldn't be hard for him with all the top end talent on that list.
20230526_170145.png

No more handy than Walsh, Voss, Lade, Carr, Schofield etc. that Ken's had in the journey

Leppa & Rutten are head coach failures, Kingsley is fresh under the desk & McRae seems a bewdy but needs to nail it in finals.
With respect I just listed 4 AFL coaches, and you listed 1 in return.

Walsh illustrates the point perfectly. How much better did Ken look with Walsh as a supporting act. How about this year with Carr?

I'm not denying Hardwick is a great coach. I'm just saying my preference would be Carr. You're free to disagree with this opinion.

With respect I just listed 4 AFL coaches, and you listed 1 in return.

Walsh illustrates the point perfectly. How much better did Ken look with Walsh as a supporting act. How about this year with Carr?

I'm not denying Hardwick is a great coach. I'm just saying my preference would be Carr. You're free to disagree with this opinion.
Walsh, Nicks, Voss that's three and two more to come in Carr & Schofield.

Carr is my preference mate, saying Damien wouldn't get similar support staff here is rubbish though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walsh, Nicks, Voss that's three and two more to come in Carr & Schofield.

Carr is my preference mate, saying Damien wouldn't get similar support staff here is rubbish though.
Yikes my counting is a worry. Must be a Friday.

I don't think it's that outrageous to say a big 4 Vic club like Richmond has been able to attract and maintain better assistant coaches over the last decade, but each to their own.

Why do you prefer Carr over Hardwick out of interest? You obviously rate Hardwick very highly.

JHF Butters Rozee isn't enough?

Nup. He's got nothing else to achieve. I don't see why he'd want the pressure cooker environment of coaching in Adelaide after all he's achieved already.

Gold Coast would be perfect for where's at in life.

Who knows whether he'd even want to coach again. Got 3 flags and he'd be a multi-millionaire already so doesn't need the money.

I don't think we need to talk in absolutes.

Likely a combination of positive influence from Hardwick and their own unique talents/previous experience.

I'm curious, are Carr/Schofield great assistants because of Hinkley?
The reality is that we cannot know so we tell ourselves stories that suit our prejudices. Think Hinkley is useless then all our good seasons are attributable to support from stellar assistants. Want Hardwick? Well then his assistants only became great because is his tutelage.

Earlier in the thread I shared some data showing that very few premiership coaches in the modern era have gone on to coach a premiership at another club.

I think there are good reasons why lightning rarely strikes twice but I would be happy with Hardwick or one of a few assistants across the league with strong reputations.

The reality is that we cannot know so we tell ourselves stories that suit our prejudices. Think Hinkley is useless then all our good seasons are attributable to support from stellar assistants. Want Hardwick? Well then his assistants only became great because is his tutelage.

Earlier in the thread I shared some data showing that very few premiership coaches in the modern era have gone on to coach a premiership at another club.

I think there are good reasons why lightning rarely strikes twice but I would be happy with Hardwick or one of a few assistants across the league with strong reputations.
Agree with absolutely everything

If Hardwick ends up at GC, it's because the AFL has backed up a truck full of cash in his direction.
They need someone to finally make their pet project competitive and it may aswell be him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back