Operation Get Tippett (Officially, finally, over)

Remove this Banner Ad

There's an ad on the telly here in Adelaide where Crows players say why they love playing for the Crows. Most of them say something about how they love the club and the history but Tippett says something along the lines that he loves the club for giving him the opportunity to do what he loves. Probably nothing but it gives me the feeling that he's not too emotionally invested in the club.

Seriously though...it is August and still no signature. If I was a Crows fan I'd be getting antsy....but the ladder would be some relief...

It does depend on how legit you think his claims of putting off contract talks because of his concussion issues are.

Do we really still want him? We have have young forwards who can develop with our young midfield.

I agree that with our midfield being so inconsistent there's no point wasting money/picks on a gun forward who would just be starved of attention up front.
That's why I tend to think someone like Dixon would be a better fit, with the added benefit of leaving enough cap space for a tilt at a quality mid.

Do we really still want him? We have have young forwards who can develop with our young midfield.

I agree that with our midfield being so inconsistent there's no point wasting money/picks on a gun forward who would just be starved of attention up front.

We have zero key forward prospects that are going to be able to pick up the considerable slack when Browny retires.

Cornelius is at best going to be a third tall, and he's at least two years away from regular meaningful footy.

Let's not be delusional and pretend that Retzlaff or Lisle will become gun AFL forwards :rolleyes:

Zorko / Green / Banfield / Cornelius / Karnezis need a monster forward to feed off moving forward.

That being said, I'd rather draft one over the next two years and let Tippett stay at Adelaide; it's not like there are not holes elsewhere in the team that need to be filled too.

We have zero key forward prospects that are going to be able to pick up the considerable slack when Browny retires.

Cornelius is at best going to be a third tall, and he's at least two years away from regular meaningful footy.

Let's not be delusional and pretend that Retzlaff or Lisle will become gun AFL forwards :rolleyes:

I think some people are more than convinced that Retzy has something to contribute in the near future. He was showing some great signs in terms of skills that can generalise to the seniors in the weeks preceding his knee injury, which could not have been timed worse than it was.

Respect your stance, but I think that this face :rolleyes: is a bit condescending to those who see something in our boys, and it is hugely disrespectful to the young players themselves. I reckon that you are capable of posting better than that.

I think some people are more than convinced that Retzy has something to contribute in the near future. He was showing some great signs in terms of skills that can generalise to the seniors in the weeks preceding his knee injury, which could not have been timed worse than it was.

Respect your stance, but I think that this face :rolleyes: is a bit condescending to those who see something in our boys, and it is hugely disrespectful to the young players themselves. I reckon that you are capable of posting better than that.

It's a forum, it's my opinion - I'm not going to sugar coat my thoughts for those who see the world through rose coloured glasses.

As for the players themselves, I highly doubt they would read / take notice of a post on BigFooty.

It's a forum, it's my opinion - I'm not going to sugar coat my thoughts for those who see the world through rose coloured glasses.

As for the players themselves, I highly doubt they would read / take notice of a post on BigFooty.

Stating that anyone who disagrees with your "opinion" is "delusional" is highly insulting and immature. It loses any sort of respect anyone would give to you "opinion" if it was phrased in the appropriate way.

If you aren't smart enough to understand that you may be wrong, what value does this contribute to the conversation?

As I said, it's not really the opinion that I have an issue with, it's the tone. Personally, I really like reading opposing opinions, because it allows us to think critically and take different perspectives.

It was really just the way that you layed it down. I think you know what I mean.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Retzy came into the senior side last year and looked pretty good. I think his future is a high forward, he is good at leading up the ground and he was very effective at giving the mids something to kick too. Likewise i see Lisle as a more of a stay at home forward, pushing to the wings when needed, but mostly just roaming the forward 50, he can take a good contested mark, and i think these 2 could compliment each other very well with their play styles. I agree that Ace needs to be that 3rd tall forward, if he can get his fitness up higher to be able to play in that smaller role, he will monster 3rd defenders.

I also agree with POBT, that we are betting off, in more ways than one, with going for someone like Dixon, bit younger, cheaper, still needs to develop, but plenty to offer. We need to be targeting these 22 year old types who struggle to get a game at their current club and we can nab with a 2nd or 3rd round pick, leaving our top picks to grab mids, as well as a good chunk of cap space to maybe nab a quality mid somewhere as well.

Tippett would be good, but i think we've seen our midfield still has a bit to good, and it will take a good 3-5 years to get it right. Not sure if Tippett fits the team at that point, especially when we still have Longer, who you could argue in 3-5 years could very well be a better player than Tippett. If we were hell bent on Tippett, we shouldn't have drafted Longer.

That being said, I'd rather draft one over the next two years and let Tippett stay at Adelaide; it's not like there are not holes elsewhere in the team that need to be filled too.

I disagree with Zero prospects. The world didn't fall apart when Brown was out at the start of the year, and Merrett hadn't even hit his stride as a forward at that stage. Merrett is the replacement for Brown until the others come on, he also buys us time to develop a better midfield before we decide if we want/need to invest in an expensive gun forward.

It's pretty early days to mark Retz and Lisle as write offs. Look at Tom Hawkins for the Cats, he was **** on a bull last year, and he'd nearly played 80 games. This year he has kicked bags and made heads turn. Also worth noting is that is with an in form Geelong midfield providing a quantity and quality of delivery our forwards can only dream about.

Meanwhile the Retz has played 11, Lisle 6 and Ace 22 with a midfield that at times looks like it would have problems kicking a barn door from 10m away.

I do agree that Tippet should stay with Adelaide and let us concentrate on bulking out our midfield and drafting another key position player either forward or defender.

Have to agree to an extent, none of Retz, Lisle or Cornelius have shown anything at AFL level that suggests they will be the gun KPF we crave to replace Brown. However this is from a small sample of a combined approx 40 games between the 3.

Personally, I don't think any of the trio will ever be a gun forward, and while, like all supporters, I would love to be proved wrong, I just don't think these guys are right.

Retz: I haven't seen enough of at senior level, and his knee injury has certainly curtailed that, so a lot will depend on how he rebounds from it. I see him as a hard working CHF, but unfortunately I don't think he has the polish to ever be in the good to elite category of these players.

Cornelius: There are two major knocks on Cornelius, his height (or lack of it) and his defensive pressure. His height and strong hands means that he should best be deployed in the 3rd tall forward position, however his lack of defensive presence means that it isn't really ideal for him to be used in this role, and could lead to him being a liability moving forward.

Lisle: I think he will be groomed to replace Brown as a strong FF, which I like for Lisle and out of the 3, I feel he has the best prospects of moving from the category of being an average forward into a good forward. Lisle will eventually be used in that FF role, with the ability to go down back or into the ruck for team balance that will be very useful for us moving forward. But it does depend on how he develops.

While these players each have their good points, realistically, none have showed anything that will lift them from being average KPF in their respective positions.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/144117/default.aspx

Saw this on afl.com.au, interesting development. Obviously Adelaide are looking at the possibility of Tippett leaving....
Came to draw attention to this ... looks like it's already been mentioned. Think he would add to our forwardline phenomenally, and allow Merrett to get back to what he does best, so I'm on the Get Tippett side I reckon. As long as we don't have to trade Reddo or some other SA Up-and-comer for him, if that's the case then no deal! :)

I have been finding it hard to get to involved with all of these Tippet rumours but these recent developments have swayed me and I am starting to think he wants to come to the Lions. I would be more then happy to trade our 1st Rounder and Cornelius for him. Big no to trading Polec or Redden for him.

Hopefully that clause exists!

Hopefully that clause exists!

The_Claw.png

Looks like that second round pick is mine... Mr Smart.

That's why I tend to think someone like Dixon would be a better fit, with the added benefit of leaving enough cap space for a tilt at a quality mid.
Short-term maybe, but any forward coming somewhere close to Brown's stature on the ground will need to be paid well. If not, then it's odds on they weren't a success.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back