Operation Get Tippett (Officially, finally, over)

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows have no reason to chase a player like Cloke with the likes of Tippett and Walker, if true, it all but confirms Tippett is gone. 2nd round clause please be true ! I'm sure Kerr would be keen to spend pick 8 in the draft.

This has picked up speed quickly. The whole situation from Adelaide's end is starting to seem more and more like us with Mitch last year.

Things with Kurt are starting to swing back in our favour clearly.

Your assuming we are even a remote chance of getting Cloke which I don't believe we are. But it doesn't sound good for us with Kurt.

I wonder if the recent bout of concussions has possibly made Kurt realise that his playing days, like everyone's, are numbered, and that if he wants to realise his dream of playing footy at home then now is the right time. It seems a complete 180 on where he was contract-wise a month ago, so it's really quite interesting. New slogan: I'm keen for Kurt. Ordering us all t-shirts now.

Have to agree to an extent, none of Retz, Lisle or Cornelius have shown anything at AFL level that suggests they will be the gun KPF we crave to replace Brown. However this is from a small sample of a combined approx 40 games between the 3.

Personally, I don't think any of the trio will ever be a gun forward, and while, like all supporters, I would love to be proved wrong, I just don't think these guys are right.

It baffles me how you can acknowledge that between the 3 of them they haven't even played 50 games yet and then a sentence later pass judgement on them despite how little you've seen of them, and how little game time they've had...

Lisle: I think he will be groomed to replace Brown as a strong FF, which I like for Lisle and out of the 3, I feel he has the best prospects of moving from the category of being an average forward into a good forward. Lisle will eventually be used in that FF role, with the ability to go down back or into the ruck for team balance that will be very useful for us moving forward. But it does depend on how he develops.

Brown isn't a FF. We try playing him there and it doesn't work out real well. He's a CHF through and through. Other than that though I agree with the Lisle analysis.

While these players each have their good points, realistically, none have showed anything that will lift them from being average KPF in their respective positions.
Of course none of them have showed anything when they've only played 22, 11, and 6 games. And those games have mainly been played in a team that is rebuilding with the kind of delivery than can make Brown look like an average forward some weeks.

I really hope we don't waste picks and $$$ on Tippett. We just aren't ready to take full advantage of a forward like him, and we're not going to be for another 2-3 years at least in my opinion.

Tippett feels a bit like Fev, seems like you'd want him, but in the end will probably end up being a waste.

I wonder if the recent bout of concussions has possibly made Kurt realise that his playing days, like everyone's, are numbered, and that if he wants to realise his dream of playing footy at home then now is the right time. It seems a complete 180 on where he was contract-wise a month ago, so it's really quite interesting. New slogan: I'm keen for Kurt. Ordering us all t-shirts now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dignity+simpsons.jpg

Some on the Crows board are saying that he broke up with his SA based girlfriend recently. Not sure if that's common knowledge, but definitely an interesting factor imo.

As for the quotes from Adelaide in Robbo's article, you never 'fully expect' someone to stay if you're publicly making statements about surveying the field. Common sense really.

Some on the Crows board are saying that he broke up with his SA based girlfriend recently. Not sure if that's common knowledge, but definitely an interesting factor imo.

As for the quotes from Adelaide in Robbo's article, you never 'fully expect' someone to stay if you're publicly making statements about surveying the field. Common sense really.

I think the Crows are using the media to prod Kurt into re-signing. Why else would they weigh in publicly like that.

I think the Crows are using the media to prod Kurt into re-signing. Why else would they weigh in publicly like that.

It seems to be the reason, but the risk is that it could potentially have the complete opposite effect. Could well drive him away from the Crows...

It seems to be the reason, but the risk is that it could potentially have the complete opposite effect. Could well drive him away from the Crows...
I don't think they would have done that unless they thought he was going anyway

I don't think they would have done that unless they thought he was going anyway

Yeah fair point. If I were on Adelaide's list management team, I reckon I'd be hiring a relationship counsellor ASAP to help him and his girl patch things up.

Although it's hard to take the Adelaide-Cloke talk too seriously, I wonder if a three-club deal could be brewing!

Given that a swap involving the Lions first-round pick and only Cloke and Tippett would not satisfy all parties, could it be something like the following?

Lions trade C.Beams to Collingwood
Lions trade A.Cornelius to Collingwood
Lions trade First-Round Pick to Collingwood

Collingwood trade T.Cloke to Adelaide
Collingwood trade Second-Round Pick to Adelaide

Adelaide trade K.Tippett to Lions
Adelaide trade their latest occurring Second-Round Pick to Lions

For mine, outside of the trade and salary cap costs, the issue of whether or not the Lions should attempt to get Tippett or not comes down to the following;

* Is Tippett a reasonable forward who looks good in a good side, but likely to look poor in a poor team?
* Is Tippett a very good (or better) forward who can improve a poor team?

My judgment, is that whilst Tippett is not a perfect forward, he is good enough to improve a team like the Lions. His ability to take contested marks and marks that might even be regarded as "difficult" or "half-chances" is up there with the best in the competition at the moment. He seems to be able to produce this sort of talent when holding ground one-on-one, charging at the pack and on the lead. That type of ability can greatly improve how effective a team is when going forward, not only because such a player can be kicked to with greater confidence, but also because they're simply more likely to mark the ball. Adelaide's ball use going inside 50m is better than ours, but I reckon Tippett could make our ball use at least look a hell of a lot better if he's pulling in marks like he has been.

It was mentioned somewhere recently, that the Adelaide combination of Tippett and Walker had kicked the most goals from marks between them for the competition in 2012. That is a fair stat, considering that both have missed a number of weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back