Operation Get Tippett (Officially, finally, over)

Yorkes_87

Senior List
Sep 14, 2009
Yorke Peninsula SA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne; Norwood; WWT; Redbacks
I think Tippett would be a handy addition to Brisbane, especially with Brown getting older. He would certainly be a high rated player in the current Brisbane side. I guess whether they could improve directly as a result of Tippett remains to be seen but I have little doubt he'd be a handy recruit to the side.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A handy recruit, yes. But at what cost? Personally believe that it would merely be papering over the cracks and that the money spent on Tippet could be done more wisely. Instead of KPF two young mids to add depth. I would hate for us to use our first round pick or compo pick on any trades.

cmt26

Team Captain
Feb 17, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It baffles me how you can acknowledge that between the 3 of them they haven't even played 50 games yet and then a sentence later pass judgement on them despite how little you've seen of them, and how little game time they've had...

Brown isn't a FF. We try playing him there and it doesn't work out real well. He's a CHF through and through. Other than that though I agree with the Lisle analysis.

Of course none of them have showed anything when they've only played 22, 11, and 6 games. And those games have mainly been played in a team that is rebuilding with the kind of delivery than can make Brown look like an average forward some weeks.

I really hope we don't waste picks and $$$ on Tippett. We just aren't ready to take full advantage of a forward like him, and we're not going to be for another 2-3 years at least in my opinion.

Tippett feels a bit like Fev, seems like you'd want him, but in the end will probably end up being a waste.

Spot on, Brown is not a CHF but he's been moved to a FF role over the past few years to increase the length of his career, thats what I mean when I talk about Lisle replacing him.

Where I pass judgement on them, is by looking at the promise shown by other key forwards at the same age around the league and the fact that these key forwards are getting regular senior games. None of our 3 have managed that when our team is at the bottom of the ladder and rebuilding.....And when they have gone in, we haven't seen too many glimpses.

That's my biggest concern, people compare with Hawkins about KPF's needing time, which is true, but both him and Tippett were still getting regular games, hence how they have managed approx 80 games til now.

I hope these our trio all become guns, but on what I've seen so far, I'm not overly optimistic.

We probably won't agree about Tippett and that's all good. But here's my reasons of how valuable he would be.

- Athletically, he's a freak, 202cm and the ability to compete well at ground level
- Ability to switch into the ruck if needed
- Is developed and ready to go now. (May actually be good for Cornelius to have someone like Tippett next to him)
- Has got 80 games of experience, including this year in a good unit.

Is he a safer bet than gambling at the draft? Definitely.

I'd love to have him as long as we don't have to sell the farm for him (I think 1st round and downgrade of 2nd/3rd round pick would be fair). And he can't be compared to Fev at all, because Fev was booted out of Carlton and had a load of off field problems. Tippett has no off field problems, and if leaving the crows, it is because he wants to play for us.....which is a massive difference in my opinion.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If it comes down to a bidding war between us and GC we could probably get him for our compensation pick. Sam Day is keen to stay at GC so I don't think he'll be part of the trade, GC won't trade their first pick so we can trump their second pick with our compensation pick. GC may be able to offer Jolly + their second pick but if he demands a trade home we might get away with him pretty cheap. Any threat of pre-season draft could be useless if Tippett refuses to play elsewhere.

Gets more complicated when they trade Caddy though.

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Vossie is keeping them to his chest at the moment. I found this in a double barrelled article about Blackie.

But he found questions about the club's pursuit of Adelaide star Kurt Tippett no laughing matter.

But Voss refused to discuss Brisbane's interest in out-of-contract Queenslander Kurt Tippett, who has put contract talks with Adelaide on hold while he recovers from a series of head knocks.

"I'm not talking about Tippett ... you can keep asking me, but I'm not going to answer it,'' he said

Link

If it comes down to a bidding war between us and GC we could probably get him for our compensation pick. Sam Day is keen to stay at GC so I don't think he'll be part of the trade, GC won't trade their first pick so we can trump their second pick with our compensation pick. GC may be able to offer Jolly + their second pick but if he demands a trade home we might get away with him pretty cheap. Any threat of pre-season draft could be useless if Tippett refuses to play elsewhere.

Gets more complicated when they trade Caddy though.

Doctor rules out Tippett

Too much risk. We need a mid gun more than Kurt - pick 8 is not to be traded. With this concussion cloud over his head it is fair value, IMO. And a contractual obligation that he wears a helmet.

Stocka

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2002
Richmond
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Now this article here makes me think that Adelaide must seriously be concerned about Tippett leaving. It's as if by the captaining saying "I guess it depends on the calibre of person you're dealing with" that they're positioning things so that perhaps they can play on Tippett's conscience to resign and at the same time make it look as though any departure puts a question mark over his "character", rather than it looking like a knock against the club (not that I am trying to say/imply anything negative here about Adelaide, myself, mind you).

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And a contractual obligation that he wears a helmet.

181.jpeg

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Although it's hard to take the Adelaide-Cloke talk too seriously, I wonder if a three-club deal could be brewing!

Given that a swap involving the Lions first-round pick and only Cloke and Tippett would not satisfy all parties, could it be something like the following?

Lions trade C.Beams to Collingwood
Lions trade A.Cornelius to Collingwood
Lions trade First-Round Pick to Collingwood

Collingwood trade T.Cloke to Adelaide
Collingwood trade Second-Round Pick to Adelaide

Adelaide trade K.Tippett to Lions
Adelaide trade their latest occurring Second-Round Pick to Lions

I think that is giving way to much up for Tippett.

WAG

The People's Captain
Mar 3, 2010
In the trenches.
AFL Club
Adelaide
Doctor rules out Tippett

Too much risk. We need a mid gun more than Kurt - pick 8 is not to be traded. With this concussion cloud over his head it is fair value, IMO. And a contractual obligation that he wears a helmet.
Helmets do nothing for preventing concussion. In fact, they actually increase the surface area of the head which makes it more likely that the player will sustain a head knock.

FWIW, the whole Tippett saga at the moment in unnerving. Far to many people saying that they're confident he'll sign. Now where'd I put my alfoil.....

patfullfankezz

Puhuhuhuhu!
Jul 28, 2011
Brisbane!
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Heat, Wigan Athletic
As much as he's starting to come across as a mercinary, I really hope his career at Adeladie finishes at the hands of a trade rather than a forced retirement.

Apr 4, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Park Ridge Pirates
Where I pass judgement on them, is by looking at the promise shown by other key forwards at the same age around the league and the fact that these key forwards are getting regular senior games. None of our 3 have managed that when our team is at the bottom of the ladder and rebuilding.....And when they have gone in, we haven't seen too many glimpses.

That's my biggest concern, people compare with Hawkins about KPF's needing time, which is true, but both him and Tippett were still getting regular games, hence how they have managed approx 80 games til now.

I hope these our trio all become guns, but on what I've seen so far, I'm not overly optimistic.

Can you name the other key forwards that are 21-22 years old and getting regular games?

Hawkins is 24 and this is his 6th season, Ace is the closest with 4 seasons, but his first couple were stunted by being in line behind Bradshaw and then Fev (1 game and 5 games), in the same way Lisle was behind Buddy and Roughhead.

We probably won't agree about Tippett and that's all good. But here's my reasons of how valuable he would be.

- Athletically, he's a freak, 202cm and the ability to compete well at ground level
- Ability to switch into the ruck if needed
- Is developed and ready to go now. (May actually be good for Cornelius to have someone like Tippett next to him)
- Has got 80 games of experience, including this year in a good unit.

Is he a safer bet than gambling at the draft? Definitely.

Yep I agree those are the benefits of getting him.

I'd love to have him as long as we don't have to sell the farm for him (I think 1st round and downgrade of 2nd/3rd round pick would be fair). And he can't be compared to Fev at all, because Fev was booted out of Carlton and had a load of off field problems. Tippett has no off field problems, and if leaving the crows, it is because he wants to play for us.....which is a massive difference in my opinion.

In my opinion, he can be compared to Fev. Obviously not for his off field antics, but the comparison is in selling the cow (long term development) to buy some milk (short term need). If we spend too much on him, or even just offer up our young guys as trade bait to get him, and he ends up on the LTI with another concussion or even if he's fit the whole process could damage to the unity/culture in the team if it's handled poorly.

Then we'll be having sadface conversations about the 2012 trade week instead of 2009 :confused:

Personally I think if we're going to get him it has to be done clean, and probably on the cheap, because frankly he's got some risk attached to him now

pauldrc

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner Brisbane Lions - Charlie Cameron Player Sponsor 2020 Dream Team Club Board Winner Brisbane Lions - Charlie Cameron Player Sponsor 2019 Brisbane Lions - Hugh McCluggage Player Sponsor 2018 Brisbane Lions - Hugh McCluggage Player Sponsor 2017 Brisbane Lions - Allen Christensen Player Sponsor 2016 Brisbane Lions - Dayne Beams Player Sponsor 2015 Brisbane Lions - Pearce Hanley Player Sponsor 2014 Brisbane Lions - 2013 Elliot Yeo Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - 2013 Daniel Rich Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Brisbane 2010 Player Sponsor
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GC Suns
Personally I think if we're going to get him it has to be done clean, and probably on the cheap, because frankly he's got some risk attached to him now

Agree.

Hope this is the clubs view also....

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
FWIW, when I got into Melbourne last night I heard Tippett being discussed on SEN by Dermie, Robbo and one or two others and they basically said the Crows have conceded that he is definitely leaving and bound for QLD, however the bloody driver interupted and I missed if they nominated either us or the Suns.

I must admit I was very surprised how adamant and certain they were that Tippett was leaving the Crows, but no doubt they have all been wrong before.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Maybe he's not missing games due to concussion but actually because he's keen to leave.

Stocka

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2002
Richmond
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Maybe he's not missing games due to concussion but actually because he's keen to leave.

I had wondered the same thing myself, but you'd have to think that with the Crows in with a chance of winning a flag, that they'd be wanting him to play not only so that they get the benefit of him, but maybe also as a last shot at keeping him with the team.

Likewise, unless the clause exists, you'd think that having Tippett playing a key role in the finals might also bump up his value at the trade table.

patfullfankezz

Puhuhuhuhu!
Jul 28, 2011
Brisbane!
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Heat, Wigan Athletic
Why would he leave a team in the mix for a grand final in the near future?

Unless these guys are completely off the mark and Tippetts just playing silly buggers with the lot of us, and has decided he's a Crow for life.

Stocka

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2002
Richmond
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Why would he leave a team in the mix for a grand final in the near future?

Unless these guys are completely off the mark and Tippetts just playing silly buggers with the lot of us, and has decided he's a Crow for life.

Maybe he simply wants more money (which he would probably get over the course of the remainder of his career at the Lions) and prefers to live in QLD?

D.Headland is a similar case in point. Although he left after he'd played in a Premiership team, there was more than just a strong possibility of playing in more with the Lions in the next few years. Although Fremantle were supposedly "on the up" at the time, I'd suggest the lure to go home and earn more money was probably a stronger attraction than the certainty of playing in a top-four side for the next few years.

Back