Prediction Operation Make The 'Eight' in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont predict finals. But do see some individual performances get better.

Mayes. Needs to be played as a HF/winger. Absolute class. Knows where the goals are and can take a grab. Not to mention he is one of our fittest blokes.

Harwood. Has to stay injury free. Big body lock down small with a big boot.

BEWICK. I understand his limitations. But this bloke runs ALL day. Needs a permanent wing position. We lacked so much run when he went down.

Note i have mentioned mainly role players. I feel our biggest issue lies with our bottom 5-6 players. Rather then our best 12-14. If guys like Harwood Mayes and Bewick take the next step it will allow the likes of Rockliff Rich Beams and Zorko to own that midfield and get it to the outside.

Im tipping the biggest improver in 2017 will be Cutler. Another pre season. Runs all day breaks lines kicks goals. We need him to play 20+ games next year.

Funny that we are favourites for the spoon on the one hand and many of the same people are backing us for incremental improvement (speaking of the main board).

:DI love this thread! Love the optimism 3KZ is Football ! I'm not sure if we can make the 8, although come Round 1 I'll be at the point where I think it is achievable after a long off season gaining false hope(hopefully it ain't false)! One thing I do agree with, however, is that we will improve. I would love a season similar to the one the Saints have had this year in that we don't make the 8 but we see big improvement and reach the point that we are certain that we are on the right path and building towards something special. I also agree with you in regards to the improvement of the players in the 3-5 year range. Guys like Mayes, Cutler and McStay could be set for big break out years I reckon.

At the end of the day due to injuries and poor coaching and a dysfunctional club from top to bottom I think we have underachieved greatly. Yes our list lacks the top 10 draft picks, however, our list overall, in my opinion, does not lack talent. The list below are the players on our list who are either A grade, have been A grade in the past or have the potential/ability to become/be A graders:

Dayne Beams
Dayne Zorko
Tom Rockliff
Stefan Martin
Daniel Rich
Allen Christensen
Sam Mayes
Tom Cutler
Dan McStay
Harris Andrews
Josh Schache
Eric Hipwood

That is a list of 12 players who I think the majority of Lions fans would agree have a lot of talent. The issue is with the exception of Zorko who has played at his best consistently, Cutler who has improved from year to year and Andrews, Schache and Hipwood who have all shown everything and more that you could expect from 1st and 2nd year players, the rest have either struggled with injuries or underperformed. Some of you might think I'm being a little harsh on McStay but I think with his level of talent he could have shown more this year.

If all 10 of the above(Not including Schache and Hipwood who will just be looking to improve as 2nd year KPF's) can play 20+ games at close to their best on a consistent basis in 2017 our team automatically improves dramatically from within. Hopefully Fagan can get the best out of these guys.

And than on top of that you have a bloke named Mitch Robinson who I left out of the above list because I wouldn't say he's an A grader and yet he's probably our best player. Why? Because he plays his role and plays it very well every single week. He is the ultimate work horse/foot solider type who gives 110% every week which every side needs. Guys like Walker, Frost, Bell and Bastinac can play some good footy. Plus we have loads of other young players with ability such as Taylor, Jaden McGrath, Gardiner, Robertson, Freeman, Close, Archie Smith, Mathieson, Keays, William, Skinner.

And to top it all off, we'll be adding another potential A grader to the above group with pick 3 and more young talent in general with 4 picks inside the top 22 in this years draft.

I've sort of rambled on but the point I am making is Fagan and Co. have a fair bit to work with. It is safe to say this group has under performed(And yes injury has definitely played a part), but I think we have enough talent on our list, even before we had to the draft to see improvement in 2017 as long as our players work hard, stay fit and start to get the best out of themselves on a consistent basis. In Mayes, Cutler and McStay we have three young players who have the ability to break out next years and become A graders if they can get the best out of themselves on a consistent basis. That is exciting.

Note: I'm not saying guys like Mathieson and Gardiner for example can't be A graders, the only reason I haven't put them and some others in the group of 12 is because the group of 12 only includes those who are/have been A graders in the past or those who have at this stage shown genuine glimpses of being stars e.g. Schache and Hipwood.

I know I touched on this in my big post, but, I thought I'd create a seperate post for these guys. I think we should all be excited about what Fagan could do for Mayes, Cutler and McStay. I think we can all agree that they are three extremely talented young players on our list who have at times shown the ability to play at a very high level and yet they haven't quite put it all together as of yet. Next year Mayes will be in his 5th year and Cutler and McStay in there 4th. Fagan is known and praised for his developmental skills and I feel like he will be very excited about the opportunity to work with these three guys who have untapped potential.

All three have a lot of work to do but if they work hard and get the best out of themselves our future looks a lot brighter. We all acknowledge just how much our side lacks A graders compared to other teams and how we need to focus on recruiting A graders via trades/free agency/the draft. I believe we have some A graders already on our list in these three, they just haven't got there yet. It isn't a forgone conclusion that they'll get there either, but if they do, our side will improve big time.

Actually I think we will improve.

On a continuum from hapless battlers through to scrappy fighters to giant killers to honourable enemies to feared foes to the hunted ... we have tended to be looking forward to being battlers again.

I suspect that with the right mind set, expectations, support, followup, motivations, and yes vibe that a lot of the issues that have plagued us will be shown to be symptoms of a wider malaise rather than the cause themselves.

We have the capability to be better - we must be better - I don't care where we end up on the ladder (well maybe a little bit) - I want to see us care about what we are doing, fight through four quarters, damn all excuses, embrace our position and use it to take us forward and be able to look our fans in the eyes and hold our gaze unashamed knowing that we left it all on the field and did, insofar as we could, out best.

I can't see us finishing above 16th next year to be honest.

This is where I'm at. It'd be awesome if we could make finals but I just don't see it. We'll still be the youngest team in the league off the back of a year where we avoided the spoon to a VFL team by percentage and our boys will now need to work within a new game plan. I'm already mentally putting it down as a development year. Really just want to see our talented youngsters continue to flourish, get some good wins here and there that build confidence and see some genuine and definitive improvement towards the tail end of the year. Expecting (hoping?) 2018 is when we'll see us actually rise up the ladder a bit.

:DI love this thread! Love the optimism 3KZ is Football ! I'm not sure if we can make the 8, although come Round 1 I'll be at the point where I think it is achievable after a long off season gaining false hope(hopefully it ain't false)! One thing I do agree with, however, is that we will improve. I would love a season similar to the one the Saints have had this year in that we don't make the 8 but we see big improvement and reach the point that we are certain that we are on the right path and building towards something special. I also agree with you in regards to the improvement of the players in the 3-5 year range. Guys like Mayes, Cutler and McStay could be set for big break out years I reckon.

At the end of the day due to injuries and poor coaching and a dysfunctional club from top to bottom I think we have underachieved greatly. Yes our list lacks the top 10 draft picks, however, our list overall, in my opinion, does not lack talent. The list below are the players on our list who are either A grade, have been A grade in the past or have the potential/ability to become/be A graders:

Dayne Beams
Dayne Zorko
Tom Rockliff
Stefan Martin
Daniel Rich
Allen Christensen
Sam Mayes
Tom Cutler
Dan McStay
Harris Andrews
Josh Schache
Eric Hipwood

That is a list of 12 players who I think the majority of Lions fans would agree have a lot of talent. The issue is with the exception of Zorko who has played at his best consistently, Cutler who has improved from year to year and Andrews, Schache and Hipwood who have all shown everything and more that you could expect from 1st and 2nd year players, the rest have either struggled with injuries or underperformed. Some of you might think I'm being a little harsh on McStay but I think with his level of talent he could have shown more this year.

If all 10 of the above(Not including Schache and Hipwood who will just be looking to improve as 2nd year KPF's) can play 20+ games at close to their best on a consistent basis in 2017 our team automatically improves dramatically from within. Hopefully Fagan can get the best out of these guys.

And than on top of that you have a bloke named Mitch Robinson who I left out of the above list because I wouldn't say he's an A grader and yet he's probably our best player. Why? Because he plays his role and plays it very well every single week. He is the ultimate work horse/foot solider type who gives 110% every week which every side needs. Guys like Walker, Frost, Bell and Bastinac can play some good footy. Plus we have loads of other young players with ability such as Taylor, Jaden McGrath, Gardiner, Robertson, Freeman, Close, Archie Smith, Mathieson, Keays, William, Skinner.

And to top it all off, we'll be adding another potential A grader to the above group with pick 3 and more young talent in general with 4 picks inside the top 22 in this years draft.

I've sort of rambled on but the point I am making is Fagan and Co. have a fair bit to work with. It is safe to say this group has under performed(And yes injury has definitely played a part), but I think we have enough talent on our list, even before we had to the draft to see improvement in 2017 as long as our players work hard, stay fit and start to get the best out of themselves on a consistent basis. In Mayes, Cutler and McStay we have three young players who have the ability to break out next years and become A graders if they can get the best out of themselves on a consistent basis. That is exciting.

Note: I'm not saying guys like Mathieson and Gardiner for example can't be A graders, the only reason I haven't put them and some others in the group of 12 is because the group of 12 only includes those who are/have been A graders in the past or those who have at this stage shown genuine glimpses of being stars e.g. Schache and Hipwood.
lionshine's best post EVER!

If we get to play Greater Western Carlton every other week next season reckon we're a chance.

If we don't get to play GWC every other week I'll be rapt (not wrapped, like some) if we double our wins probably seeing us finish around 14th.

As usual would rely on a few clubs going backwards at the same time (Collingwood would be a great start).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

List reminds me of Fitzroy in 1992 and 1993, but with a few bigger bodies and some more promising forwards. I'm taking out a Victorian Family Membership next year and I am going to take the kids to every game in Melbourne because I really get the sense that we are finally on the right track for the first time in years.

Great to hear & about time with the family membership. The kids should get to experience an early 90's Fitzroy standard if all cylinders are firing.

Having said that, I reckon we'll need Frost to take like a duck to, & I'd even suggest making Adcock an emergency across the hb line.

With a new coach, there'd have to be enthusiasm in the club. That's a given.

But forget about positions on the ladder, for me, the season is a win if we see:

- system and organisation on-field
- leadership from multiple sources
- discipline and courage
- skills being executed consistently
- good comradery and team spirit.

The rest will follow in good time.

Prerogative 1A is minimal injuries. That marvel aside, I want to see big development from the spine. Frosty is a spectre in that regard. Whoever comes out of pre-season as the strongest CHB. We have an A-grade midfield as we have for years. Schache with the added kgs, a settled Walker at FF. I'd be optimistic to go for top 12. In a purely idealistic sense, a game plan that can be emulated from varying soldiers a la western bulldogs.

But yeah, need the best physios at 'the den' as much as we need top 10 draft picks

More like Operation 'Not The Bottom Three' for my want for 2017. And actually now after the Hanley trade I changed my perspective again to Operation 'Above Gold Coast'.

Operation Port to finish 18th.

Let the death-riding commence!

I think one can safely assume that if Port does come last next year that they will be free from all allegations of tanking!

Actually if Brisbane beat Port in the last round to get them the spoon - we could get accused of tanking by proxy maybe? Then again - considering it is Port - I suspect most of the footy world would just sit back an enjoy it.

True angst would be if that same game would have given them the spoon and us position 8 ... and by losing to Port 'they' get pick 2 and we miss the finals - which the footy world would probably enjoy even more!

Last edited:
If North drop out as you'd expect, there might be 1 spot that is easily gettable. Would be competing with the likes of North, Collingwood, St K, Port, Melb and even GCS if they have a good run with injury. It actually looks like it'll be another good year for the AFL comp with really only a few teams unlikely to get anywhere near the 8 (at this stage).

One of these years I'll actually be able to make use of my September membership!

For what it's worth, I reckon we'll be bottom 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back