Operation Meat Grinder V2

Remove this Banner Ad

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Years ago North put together an extensive group of inside kids that hit the hard the contest hard - we called it the meat grinder.

It turned out that having too much of the same type in the midfield - slowish contested types - wasn’t the right mix to win a premiership.

Last year we smashed a few teams on the back of ferocious attack on the footy and the man. It looks like V2 of the Meat Grinder Strategy. Rather than fill the inside mid role with these types, we bring this type of player for all roles across each section of the ground. Blokes who will pummel the opposition.

With all the delisting that have gone on this year, I don’t think we’ve lost any of the players I would describe as aggressive or hard hitting. I reckon this should be the core and the theme we build on at North.

We need to bring in I think 9 players if Higgins and Brown leave.

Your challenge is to use this draft and trade to bolster our hard arse count.

Who do we get to build the new and improved meat grinder V2?

Last edited:

Years ago North put together an extensive group of inside kids that hit the hard the contest hard - we called it the meat grinder.

It turned out that having too much of the same type in the midfield - slowish contested types - wasn’t the right mix to win a premiership.

Last year we smashed a few teams on the back of ferocious attack on the footy and the man. It looks like V2 of the Meat Grinder Strategy. Rather than fill the inside mid role with these types, we bring this type of player for all roles across each section of the ground. Blokes who will pummel the opposition.

With all the delisting that have gone on this year, I don’t think we’ve lost any of the players I would describe as aggressive or hard hitting. I reckon this should be the core and the theme we build on at North.

We need to bring in I think 9 players if Higgins and Brown leave.

Your challenge is to use this draft and trade to bolster our hard arse count.

Who do we get to build the new and improved meat grinder V2?
Will Phillips is the perfect midfielder to compliment Cunners, Jy and Jed as another hard nut in the guts.

Cam Z would be the best case MG MKII but his tank is suspect at this stage.

I feel like Flynn Perez could be very good inside/outside mid long term, he goes into the contest as hard as anyone..

Will Phillips is the perfect midfielder to compliment Cunners, Jy and Jed as another hard nut in the guts.

Cam Z would be the best case MG MKII but his tank is suspect at this stage.

I feel like Flynn Perez could be very good inside/outside mid long term, he goes into the contest as hard as anyone..
Add Phillips and Hollands to Cunners, Jy, Jed and LDU and all the ingredients are there. Just need to get that extra early pick.

I reckon we need

KPF
Crumbing Small Forward
Harding running back flanker
Hard running small back pocket

More skill full hard running mids.

The challenge is to make sure that none of them are soft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Key Position forward that would suit the Meat Grinder profile

Josh Treacy

Bendigo Pioneers, NAB League / Cohuna FC
Height: 193cm
Weight: 95kg
04/08/02

Strong and aggressive tall forward who was a consistent contributor as a marking target up forward for the Bendigo Pioneers in the NAB League averaging 12.8 possessions in 15 games in 2019. Resilient type with footy smarts in reading the play he also represented Team Brown in NAB AFL Futures match on AFL Grand Final in 2019.

Riley Thilthorpe

West Adelaide FC -SANFL / Goodwood Saints
Height: 201cm
Weight: 100kg
07/07/02

Highly promising tall forward/ruckman who has already played 15 games at senior level for West Adelaide over the last two years after missing last year’s NAB AFL Under-18 National Championships due to injury. Star at Under-16 level in Championships in 2018 for South Australia winning All Australian honours and last year prominent in NAB AFL Futures match on AFL Grand Final day with his overhead marking, agility and repeat efforts all part of his arsenal. Shows some of the traits of Richmond’s Tom Lynch with his presence as a marking target up forward.

Kaine Baldwin

Glenelg, SANFL / Henley FC
Height: 193cm
Weight: 90kg
30/05/02

Tall forward who burst on the National stage at the NAB AFL Under-16 National Championships in 2018 when he starred as the key target up forward for South Australia in their title winning team averaging 15 disposals and 7 marks winning All-Australian Under 16 honours. Super competitive and strong overhead, he suffered a season ending ACL injury early in 2019 with a recurrence earlier this year. Resilient and coachable he is again on the road to recovery having not played in 2020. Before suffering injury, Baldwin presented very well at SA testing day in February this year with his 20.8 in the Yo-yo impressive.

Jackson Callow

Tasmanian Devils, NAB League / North Launceston
Height: 194cm
Weigh: 101kg
11/06/02

Strongly built tall forward noted for his vice like grip on the ball in marking contests and his elite endurance allowing him to continue re-presenting as a target. Good accurate set shot for goal, he kicked 24 goals for the Tasmanian Devils in the NAB League in 2019 as well as starring for North Launceston in the Tasmanian State League in a premiership year. Has also played roles as a defender this year adding another string to his bow. Has some of the traits of another Tasmanian graduate in Collingwood’s Brodie Mihocek with his strong hands, competitiveness and work rate. Earnt All-Australian Under 16 honours in 2018.

I don't think we are looking to recreate the meat grinder, I think we just want people to go when they need to go and put the body in to make an impact when there isn't the opportunity to get a handball receive.

You referred to four people - all midfielders. You missed the point.

Thats cool.

Nah.

I just think skill across the ground is more important then aggression. We already have some guys that throw their weight around (Xerri, Anderson, Ziebell, Hayden, Zurhaar). I just disagree that it should be our priority to add aggression and am far more interested in adding skills skills and skills across the 22.

Ideal world is we recruit players that are a hybrid of aggression and skill like Zurhaar and even Perez seems to be, but they don’t exactly grow on trees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back