Operation Meat Grinder V2

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nah.

I just think skill across the ground is more important then aggression. We already have some guys that throw their weight around (Xerri, Anderson, Ziebell, Hayden, Zurhaar). I just disagree that it should be our priority to add aggression and am far more interested in adding skills skills and skills across the 22.

Ideal world is we recruit players that are a hybrid of aggression and skill like Zurhaar and even Perez seems to be, but they don’t exactly grow on trees.

Yes. Well done. You got there. Im not sure why it took so much arm twisting. Now pick those guys out of drafts and trades. That was the point of the thread. But thabks for being a negative smart arse and derailing it.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes. Well done. You got there. Im not sure why it took so much arm twisting. Now pick those guys out of drafts and trades. That was the point of the thread. But thabks for being a negative smart arse and derailing it.

Apologies, didn’t mean to derail it.

I just have demons from how the last “meat grinder” turned out.

Perfect mix of physicality and skill/speed is what we should be after.

Nah.

I just think skill across the ground is more important then aggression. We already have some guys that throw their weight around (Xerri, Anderson, Ziebell, Hayden, Zurhaar). I just disagree that it should be our priority to add aggression and am far more interested in adding skills skills and skills across the 22.

Ideal world is we recruit players that are a hybrid of aggression and skill like Zurhaar and even Perez seems to be, but they don’t exactly grow on trees.
If we want to rebuild a side that will then compete for multiple flags and win most of them then we need a massive dose of aggression.

I agree we need skill. You can point to skill errors that have cost us games, as a result top 8 or higher positions, and even finals all thru the last decade. But Brad Hill has Skill doesn't he? We need both.

Players like Perez should be the model we chase for sure tho. Skilled but competitive with a desire to win the ball or if not that then stop the opposition using it.

Shagga is all Class

Premiership Player
May 15, 2005
Beneath the Blue and White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
Years ago North put together an extensive group of inside kids that hit the hard the contest hard - we called it the meat grinder.

Who do we get to build the new and improved meat grinder V2?

Went on a tour of North back in the day and the coaches showed video that the inside mids we had were all see ball get ball types and used to get sucked into the contest at stoppages.

As a result the opposition always had the handball overlap and used to kick a lot of coast to coast goals.

For instance, Bastinac could not be coached to maintain his starting position at stoppages nor the beefcake to start in Cunnington's role.

Higgins was a high half forward before we moved him into the middle.

In essence, V2 needs guys like LDU who at least seems composed with the ball in hand to absorb tackles and has the burst. Simpkin is composed and at least has the lateral movement.

We are on the way methinks.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Piss off with the meat grinder, we are building an industrial deli slicer capable of dicing up the opposition with precision, power and speed.
why-dont-we-have-both-both.gif

Back