Operation send Merrett BACK!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Operation realise that this is an internet forum and what we do here means SFA.

We all want Merrett back but maybe the coaches will do it this week who knows.

Lisle being able to come in and take the Merrett role or Longer and Hudson both playing might do the trick.

It is completely baffling why he is being played out of position like this.

I cannot understand why we would play Patfull on a rampant Cloke for a half

before switching to Maguire without even considering Merrett...We already

have a brute up forward - his name is Jonathan Brown.

It is completely baffling why he is being played out of position like this.

I cannot understand why we would play Patfull on a rampant Cloke for a half

before switching to Maguire without even considering Merrett...We already

have a brute up forward - his name is Jonathan Brown.

Merrett has kicked 7 goals this year from 7 games.....Acorn 5 from 3...:eek:

Can we start a petition?
We'd have Tony Shaw's signature.
FFS he is our best defender. And we are playing him in the forward line where he has been having zero impact on the game. When will the penny drop.
The benefit of him playing in our back 6 far outweigh the benefits of having him in the forward line.

How is Merrett up forward not working ? What are the alternative ideas? Our defence has done well, especially Goose without Merrett there, and the one game we moved him back he was completely rubbish.

He is up forward to give us ruck relief. Perhaps next week, we might have Hudson back, with Longer and Merrett can go back. I wouldn't mind seeing Lisle have a go at that ruck/forward spot teaming with Longer next week if Hudson isn't back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is up forward to give us ruck relief. Perhaps next week, we might have Hudson back, with Longer and Merrett can go back. I wouldn't mind seeing Lisle have a go at that ruck/forward spot teaming with Longer next week if Hudson isn't back.

I think I'm at the point where I view Hudson in, McKeever out, Longer forward, Merrett back as a win assuming Longer is up to it (I'm assuming so, because he seemed to be getting better as the night went on). Both are invisible as forwards, but Merrett is still quality down back. If Longer doesn't back up, Lisle comes in. But I fear that at least part of my thinking is driven by not wanting to read the incessant complaining about the current tactic any more.

If it was Retzlaff playing forward, he would have been dropped by Voss 4 weeks ago.

Agreed but add Cornelius & Lisle to the same scenario.
If any of those 3 were producing the same results as Merrett up forward they would be spelling in the 2s. If he is to continue as the 2nd ruckman perhaps it should be off the bench, & not forward. Hate to think what this is doing to his confidence although last week may have presented the answer.

While have a young squad & this tempers the thoughts in regards to results, it is things such as this that do dent my confidence in those steering the ship.

Agreed but add Cornelius & Lisle to the same scenario.
If any of those 3 were producing the same results as Merrett up forward they would be spelling in the 2s. If he is to continue as the 2nd ruckman perhaps it should be off the bench, & not forward. Hate to think what this is doing to his confidence although last week may have presented the answer.

While have a young squad & this tempers the thoughts in regards to results, it is things such as this that do dent my confidence in those steering the ship.

You can't just play him on the bench, we would essentially be entering the game with one less player.

The problem is we need a viable second ruck option and our backline is one of our relative strengths.

We no longer have Clark to help out and Leuenberger is injured. Neither of our other 2 rucks have looked at all effective in the forward line. So going with those 2 also leaves us a man down.

So the other option would be to go with McKeever or perhaps Lisle and drop Patfull. Which is far from ideal as Patfull has been one of our few solid contributors.

You can't just play him on the bench, we would essentially be entering the game with one less player.

The problem is we need a viable second ruck option and our backline is one of our relative strengths.

I believe Lisle would present just as much in the ruck & up forward as Merrett. Lets face it Dan is producing nothing at the moment in either spot, so at least try something that at worse will equal what we are currently receiving.

I am not saying Lisle is the answer (seems to be a big catchcry round here - so & so is not the answer), but his output would at the least equal what playing Dan in his current role is producing. The added bonus is we may even get a AA backman out of it, if his confidence is not shot.

It if isn't working you just don't throw up the hands & leave as is. What have we got to lose?

I can't resist...

I fully agree, we should send him back to the shop, as by law we're entitled to an exchange or refund on a faulty product! :D

Honestly though, I don't know where to put him right now. Mantlepiece perhaps?

One thought is that we start training our boys to kick to Danny. and have one of the smaller blokes follow Danny around to mop up after him and kick the goals. Hopefully that will also have the effect of freeing up Brownie as opposition defenders start to go for Danny and his off-sider, perhaps opening up multiple options for goal?

(See why I'm not a coach? LOL)

I believe Lisle would present just as much in the ruck & up forward as Merrett. Lets face it Dan is producing nothing at the moment in either spot, so at least try something that at worse will equal what we are currently receiving.

I am not saying Lisle is the answer (seems to be a big catchcry round here - so & so is not the answer), but his output would at the least equal what playing Dan in his current role is producing. The added bonus is we may even get a AA backman out of it, if his confidence is not shot.

It if isn't working you just don't throw up the hands & leave as is. What have we got to lose?

Lisle has had a very slow start but by all reports is starting to perform a lot better in the reserves. Would not have thought he would have been an option previously but perhaps he might be becoming that.

A forward line with Lisle, Brown and PK is going to struggle to chase though.

Lisle has had a very slow start but by all reports is starting to perform a lot better in the reserves. Would not have thought he would have been an option previously but perhaps he might be becoming that.

A forward line with Lisle, Brown and PK is going to struggle to chase though.

Add Banfield, Zorko & Green Weevs. ;)
If Essendon can use Davey, Monfries & Jetta why can't we give at forward set-up like this a try? Not saying it will deliver, but lets at least be pro-active & give somthing a go.

Just need to do something to free up Dan & get him back where he plays his footy as good as many. When up & going down back he is the one player that we could confidently say would get a game at any other side. We refuse to use him as such.

Unfortunately this is just one of many concerns we could address, but its all part of the fun of rebuilding.

To make up for the big guys lack of pace do we stick Green, Banfield and Zorko up forward to create the pressure and tackle like madmen?

Sounds good in theory but all of those guys are struggling for a spot in the team right now.

Don't think the lack of speed thing is necessarily a game breaker, but it is significant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back