Strategy Operation Sign Alastair Clarkson 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 1, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
The year is 1999. About a decade from our last flag. The Collingwood football club's ruthless standards and competitiveness have slowly wasted away.

A favourite son is trying his best but it isn't working out. There has been a change at board level.

Does this situation sound familiar? We went out and got Mick Malthouse in 1999. Not a novice, a proven WINNER. An experienced coach in WINNING Flags who had all the tricks in the book.
He was respected and no one bent him or the club over for contracts etc. There we no excuses, it was about winning with a ruthless, uncompromising mindset.

The year is 2021 and we face an eerily similar situation.

Sign Alastair Clarkson Collingwood for he is the perfect fit to set our club up in a ruthless, uncompromising, winning culture.
It may take 2-3 years, but how grim did we look in 1999?

Give Clarko the keys like we gave Mick the keys, give him everything he needs.

#SignClarko

The year is 1999. About a decade from our last flag. The Collingwood football club's ruthless standards and competitiveness have slowly wasted away.

A favourite son is trying his best but it isn't working out. There has been a change at board level.

Does this situation sound familiar? We went out and got Mick Malthouse in 1999. Not a novice, a proven WINNER. An experienced coach in WINNING Flags who had all the tricks in the book.
He was respected and no one bent him or the club over for contracts etc. There we no excuses, it was about winning with a ruthless, uncompromising mindset.

The year is 2021 and we face an eerily similar situation.

Sign Alastair Clarkson Collingwood for he is the perfect fit to set our club up in a ruthless, uncompromising, winning culture.
It may take 2-3 years, but how grim did we look in 1999?

Give Clarko the keys like we gave Mick the keys, give him everything he needs.

#SignClarko
While I agree and hope Clarko is who we pick up - Malthouse took ten years in a relatively non-social-media age to get to that flag.

Bucks is ten years in and people have been hopelessly impatient the entire decade.

Fans just aren't that patient anymore.

It needs to be Operation Process, not operation Clarkson(or Mitchell).

Mitchell would be almost the exact same appointment as Buckley - he spent all bar one year of his playing career at the same club, much of it under one coach, and the only experience he has had was under a Clarkson disciple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m personally just wrapt we’re having this conversation! My take on things.

Scott>Clarkson>Mitchell>Voss>Kingsley

One thing is certain the urgency of the decision suggests there’s plenty happening behind the scenes!
I've no doubt it went something like this . . .

Wrighty . . "Bucks, the board believe we need a change and while we value your service we are looking at appointing a new senior coach'

Bucks . . . "Mate I understand completely and thanks for the heads up - I'll just slip out now and give you extra time to get that coach'

That's the type of guy Bucks is.

Wrighty . . "Bucks, the board believe we need a change and while we value your service we are looking at appointing a new senior coach'

Bucks . . . "Mate I understand completely and thanks for the heads up - I'll just slip out now and give you extra time to get that coach'

Stepping down definitely won’t hurt Bucks reputation

I hope we don't fall for this whole messiah complex - with our list success wont come quickly. Maybe a Mitchell or Kingsley a better choice with where we are at, that can grow with the list. Put in some experienced, quality assistants around the head coach.

Would prefer not to have Chris Scott, and whilst Clarkson has been the standout coach in the last decade along with Dimma, not sure this is the challenge for him.

I'd be happy with Clarko or Chris Scott but definitely not Lyon, who is ultra defensive and comes across as a bit of a knob. I can't see why Chris Scott would leave the Cats.

Would prefer the greater diversity of experience of Justin Leppitch or Vossy over Sam Mitchell.

Wouldn't be opposed to Mark Williams if we want someone with a proven Premiership winning track record.

I hope we don't fall for this whole messiah complex - with our list success wont come quickly. Maybe a Mitchell or Kingsley a better choice with where we are at, that can grow with the list. Put in some experienced, quality assistants around the head coach.

Would prefer not to have Chris Scott, and whilst Clarkson has been the standout coach in the last decade along with Dimma, not sure this is the challenge for him.
Whoever gets the gig, the key will be quality assistants.

I agree I do think that’s how it played out and credit to Bucks for not drawing it out. Who knows he might have built on the past few weeks, jagged some wins and got some momentum. Long term I don’t think that would have been in anyone’s best interests because he’s run a good race.

Central to all of this for me is the bolded portion. I suspect that if the conversation went that way it would only happen if preliminary moves on a replacement had been conducted. It might seem disrespectful, but in a professional sense you can’t operate any other way. Preliminary moves would suggest to me we’re hunting for and believe we can/ will acquire a big name replacement.

I agree I do think that’s how it played out and credit to Bucks for not drawing it out. Who knows he might have built on the past few weeks, jagged some wins and got some momentum. Long term I don’t think that would have been in anyone’s best interests because he’s run a good race.

Central to all of this for me is the bolded portion. I suspect that if the conversation went that way it would only happen if preliminary moves on a replacement had been conducted. It might seem disrespectful, but in a professional sense you can’t operate any other way. Preliminary moves would suggest to me we’re hunting for and believe we can/ will acquire a big name replacement.
Agree with the bolded, no matter how much we want clubs to be an extension of our family it needs to be run in a professional manner. I think we can be certain feelers had already been put out and a shopping list compiled.

Hopefully they clean out the assistants as well and get some quality assistance for whoever gets the gig.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back