Strategy Operation Sign Alastair Clarkson 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarko won't be getting an extension with us.
I'd imagine Mitchell will be extended shortly.
Read between the lines.
Why would Clarko stay one more year with us, if you guys offer a 5 year thumper??

From where I sit it would be entirely logical to have Clarko serve out his final year in 2022 with Mitchell as his senior assistant, then push Clarko up to a more hands-off "director of coaching" role with Mitchell taking over as senior coach in 2023.

It's the arrangement that we had with MM and Buckley that fell over for a number of reasons, but I reckon an arrangement like that has much more chance of sticking at the Hawks, especially given that Clarko himself might be amenable to stepping back from the daily grind of being a senior AFL coach and progressing his career further more into the management side of things (perhaps even overseeing and advising on coaching for all four Hawks football teams - AFL, VFL, AFLW, VFLW) after 17 years straight at the helm.

The timing is right, I reckon the motivations of all parties concerned may be right, and the right people are already in place so it all kinda just fits.

Last edited:
There's enough talk from outside Big Footy suggesting Wright and Clarkson had a bit of a falling out, but it's not a hindrance to them no working together at Collingwood.

Clarkson has said he is not interested in going anywhere, but he only has another year left. AS the Hawthorn visitor suggested, the Hawks will not let Mitchell walk. They have him penciled in for 2023. If Collingwood make a play for Mitchell which they will, then Hawthorn would probably sign him. Clarkson could then coach out his contract, or take a job elsewhere.

I still think Clarkson is the number one coach and that we should do everything in our power to get him. If that doesn't happen, then Ross Lyon should be next. Both men could handle the Collingwood pressure cooker.

A young untried coach would be a big risk for mine, not just because of the inexperience, but because of the Collingwood pressure cooker.

It's a no for Mark Williams for me too. I hear there are reasons he hasn't been appointed a senior coach anywhere, but I don't know what they are.

No to Voss as well, just because!
So you want to replace one defensive minded coach for another who has a bigger hard on for defense?

Either Clarko is trying to drive up his value by appearing dis-interested or he's off the table.

If so, I think I'm now leaning towards Mitchell than Lyon. Mitchell is unproven but highly regarded and may be our long-term coach, while I am not convinced Lyon has the rebuild credentials - given both teams he has taken over were already contending or tracking that way.

Depending on who you ask you get a different answer on Lyon’s rebuild credentials. Some say he was great at getting everyone to play their role, and got a lot out of a few stars and a lot of scrubs.

Others say he was poor at developing the bottom 6 of his teams… in effect it was his fault he had so many scrubs because they never improved, and subsequently they sunk his teams’ premiership hopes.

Depending on who you ask you get a different answer on Lyon’s rebuild credentials. Some say he was great at getting everyone to play their role, and got a lot out of a few stars and a lot of scrubs.

Others say he was poor at developing the bottom 6 of his teams… in effect it was his fault he had so many scrubs because they never improved, and subsequently they sunk his teams’ premiership hopes.

Also Luke Ball.

From where I sit it would be entirely logical to have Clarko serve out his final year in 2022 with Mitchell as his senior assistant, then push Clarko up to a more hands-off "director of coaching" role with Mitchell taking over as senior coach in 2023.

It's the arrangement that we had with MM and Buckley that fell over for a number of reasons, but I reckon an arrangement like that has much more chance of sticking at the Hawks, especially given that Clarko himself might be amenable to stepping back from the daily grind of being a senior AFL coach and progressing his career further more into the management side of things (perhaps even overseeing and advising on coaching for all four Hawks football teams - AFL, VFL, AFLW, VFLW) after 17 years straight at the helm.

The timing is right, I reckon the motivations of all parties concerned may be right, and the right people are already in place so it all kinda just fits.

Who cares what Hawthorn do?

They're fair points and outside of his coaching credentials he'd certainly have an element of fear (edit: tough love and greater discipline) attached to him which many other coaches now would not.

Just wonder if Mitchell's supposed nous and time under Simpson and Clarko might be the direction they're prepared to take, given we may not be contending for a few years.

Is Korda’s non appearance a deliberate attempt to distance his Presidency from Ed’s?
Ed was front and centre at all pressers. Maybe that wasn’t the best look.
It was reported that Korda was there. However as the decision was a Football Dept decision he thought it was appropriate that the people that made the decision (The CEO and Director of Football) be at the Presser as what occurs at every other club except Hawks, Port and us. Why would that be?

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was reported that Korda was there. However as the decision was a Football Dept decision he thought it was appropriate that the people that made the decision (The CEO and Director of Football) be at the Presser as what occurs at every other club except Hawks, Port and us. Why would that be?
I’ll tell you why…

images

I agree with Browny. Last night at half time discussing Clarko future.
Clarko‘s shadow will loom large & will be difficult for a new coach to fully bloom whilst in that shadow.
So he was against the idea of having Clarko stay on in a senior Football Department role.

How did Wright and Clarko get along the last 2-3yrs? Hawks were ok with Wright leaving which suggests not all that great maybe?
It has been reported on SEN and in The Age that Clarko and GW were happy to have fresh air after GW's departure. Ross Lyon said on FC that was a good sign because you do not want to surround yourself with friends that constantly agree with you otherwise you are nit open to new ideas

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon Alastair Clarkson is false hope considering his comments reaffirming his commitment to Hawks.

I was supportive of the idea of Clarkson, but I'm comfortable if it isn't. It leaves Mitchell out there as a pretty enticing up-and-comer.

If we can get the right assistants around a coach of his qualities and intelligence I think that could be a winning combination.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Alastair Clarkson is false hope considering his comments reaffirming his commitment to Hawks.

I was supportive of the idea of Clarkson, but I'm comfortable if it isn't. It leaves Mitchell out there as a pretty enticing up-and-comer.

If we can get the right assistants around a coach of his qualities and intelligence I think that could be a winning combination.
I’m warming to this as well.
A question…should the next Collingwood coach continue (as Bucks) as the mouthpiece of the Club?
Take a leading role or share that around.
The Collingwood coach faces more scrutiny & pressure than most others.
Should the Football Manager & CEO take some of the load?
Should a senior Assistant also step up on occasions.

A question…should the next Collingwood coach continue (as Bucks) as the mouthpiece of the Club?
In the normal run of things all things Collingwood are closely watched - however Collingwood have been in the media crosshairs since well before the last trade period and they aren't relenting.

I think it depends on the qualities of the coach. But to me it makes sense to take away some of that burden. Especially of we go with a rookie coach.

If we havent announced a new coach before the season is finished i think its likely well be taking a senior coach from another club. If we get an assistant in or a ross the boss type surely wed announce ir as soon as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we havent announced a new coach before the season is finished i think its likely well be taking a senior coach from another club. If we get an assistant in or a ross the boss type surely wed announce ir as soon as possible

Most likely.
I think there will be a thorough review, with a methodical planned approach.
The Club doesn’t need another scandal. Rushed decision, floored process, no due diligence etc.
The media pack are watching like a pack of vultures for Collingwoods next stuff up.
So hold on to your hat for a while.

Most likely.
I think there will be a thorough review, with a methodical planned approach.
The Club doesn’t need another scandal. Rushed decision, floored process, no due diligence etc.
The media pack are watching like a pack of vultures for Collingwoods next stuff up.
So hold on to your hat for a while.

Will be a fun ride haha.

As long as ross the boss doesnt get the job ill be somewhat happy

Either Clarko is trying to drive up his value by appearing dis-interested or he's off the table.

In the age of soft cap, it would make it very unlikely for a senior coach to move from one club to another. Any extra money they could command (and it wouldn’t be much) would be effectively taken out of their expenses budget.

Coaches used to move from club to club all the time back in the day ... but it rarely happens anymore. I can only think of Ross Lyon St Kilda -> Freo and even that was in the days before the soft cap.

Lyon would be totally the obvious choice for Collingwood.

Very solid record of getting teams to losing Grand Finals.

Caro was clearly on her best behavior on Footy Classified the other night when Ed was trying to butter up Lyon. She could have torpedoed Lyon’s chances then and there with that observation.

Last edited:
I heard Wright sacked Bucks as Bucks has a better rig. Hasn't gotten over the fact since 93 and word is he was highly distressed after rejoining the club, he could barely take 4 months. Bucks had to go.

No worries at all though. We can now waste our days talking about Clarko! We all know we cant help go where the media takes us!

So lets do it! Alastair "short man syndrome'' Clarkson....

A man with a record in the last 5 years at his club that looks like this:

17th
15th
9th
Straight sets finals exit
12th

That's what I'm talking about!!!!

Go Pies!

OK well lets go for Mitchell then!!!!

I’m not sure on all this, accept that the cauldron of CFC is not the place for a Newbie on training wheels.

Clarko - has he got the motivation?

Scott - will have the motivation given his best 22 includes 10 players over 30, so I doubt he wants to stick around for a rebuild. BUT how good is he ? - given the massive HGA, provides an easy run to the Top 8, but then has such a poor strike rate in finals. He’s made one GF since 2011, just like Bucks.
And then there’s Wells as the magic list architect.

Pyke - will have “redemption” as the burning fuel for success that will eclipse the desire of both Clarko and Scott.
But has he learnt from his man management mistakes at the Crows?

On balance I think “burning desire” wins, so Pyke is my preference.

Lyon would be totally the obvious choice for Collingwood.

Very solid record of getting teams to losing Grand Finals.

Caro was clearly on her best behavior on Footy Classified the other night when Ed was trying to butter Lyon up. She could have torpedoed Lyon’s chances then and there with that observation.
Why does what Eddie think or try have any relevance what so ever? Yesterday’s hero

Remove this Banner Ad

Back