Strategy Operation Sign Alastair Clarkson 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

There's enough talk from outside Big Footy suggesting Wright and Clarkson had a bit of a falling out, but it's not a hindrance to them no working together at Collingwood.

Clarkson has said he is not interested in going anywhere, but he only has another year left. AS the Hawthorn visitor suggested, the Hawks will not let Mitchell walk. They have him penciled in for 2023. If Collingwood make a play for Mitchell which they will, then Hawthorn would probably sign him. Clarkson could then coach out his contract, or take a job elsewhere.

I still think Clarkson is the number one coach and that we should do everything in our power to get him. If that doesn't happen, then Ross Lyon should be next. Both men could handle the Collingwood pressure cooker.

A young untried coach would be a big risk for mine, not just because of the inexperience, but because of the Collingwood pressure cooker.

It's a no for Mark Williams for me too. I hear there are reasons he hasn't been appointed a senior coach anywhere, but I don't know what they are.

No to Voss as well, just because!

The sooner we swallow our pride and lose the perception that only a big name former player or already experienced senior coach is good enough for the club or can handle the so called pressure cooker of Collingwood the sooner we can put this football club on a new and better path IMO.

I'm not wedded to any coach presently but if we deem a novice coach has gained enough experience in an assistant role, we like what he his selling the club in terms of his vision then why not hire him and surround him with an experienced senior assistant?

If we ever were then we we aren't unique when it comes to coaching appointments anymore IMO and are just another club alongside Richmond, Essendon, Carlton, West Coast and Adelaide who all have a large supporter base filled with expectations of success. You could probably add Hawthorn and Geelong to that list also as I doubt their fans would suffer fools gladly given their clubs history of success.

If this football club ever wants to return to being the biggest and the best in the land then it needs to stop believing it still is.

Where we once won premierships to build our legend, over the last 60 years our clubs greatest achievement is perpetuating the myth that we somehow remain better and more special than the rest and this inevitably leads to the coaching choices we make.

This approach has netted us 2 flags.

That we still have a large supporter base owes a lot to the legacy of those early dominant Collingwood sides as one generation of family support lead it being handed down to the next.

But surely the passage of time and lack of premiership success in this period is gradually taking it's toll on our level of support.

It's now 85 years since we won consecutive flags and we have not won multiple flags in the same decade since the 1950's.

Until 2017 Richmond might well have been irrelevant for close on 35 years but in winning multiple flags in the late 60's early 70's they cemented themselves a large supporter base and now having won over a new generation of kids they have simply grown it again.

My greatest hope would be that our current board finally get it and freed from the hyperbole of Ed we dispense with all the hubris based on glories long gone, we show some humility and alongside the new coach we work bloody hard to build this club up to the point where we can deliver sustained Premiership success.

Personally I don't want to leave this mortal world without witnessing at least one period of success that the fans of Richmond, Hawthorn or Geelong have gotten to enjoy over the last 10 years.

How about everyone else?

For me I just want the best coach for Collingwood and will keep an open mind even if heaven forbid that is deemed to be Lyon.

What I don't want is for half the field to be out of the race before the starters gun has even sounded because of age/experience/low profile.

The sooner we swallow our pride and lose the perception that only a big name former player or already experienced senior coach is good enough for the club or can handle the so called pressure cooker of Collingwood the sooner we can put this football club on a new and better path IMO.

I'm not wedded to any coach presently but if we deem a novice coach has gained enough experience in an assistant role, we like what he his selling the club in terms of his vision then why not hire him and surround him with an experienced senior assistant?

If we ever were then we we aren't unique when it comes to coaching appointments anymore IMO and are just another club alongside Richmond, Essendon, Carlton, West Coast and Adelaide who all have a large supporter base filled with expectations of success. You could probably add Hawthorn and Geelong to that list also as I doubt their fans would suffer fools gladly given their clubs history of success.

If this football club ever wants to return to being the biggest and the best in the land then it needs to stop believing it still is.

Where we once won premierships to build our legend, over the last 60 years our clubs greatest achievement is perpetuating the myth that we somehow remain better and more special than the rest and this inevitably leads to the coaching choices we make.

That we still have a large supporter base owes a lot to the legacy of those early dominant Collingwood sides as one generation of family support lead it being handed down to the next.

But surely the passage of time and lack of premiership success in this period is gradually taking it's toll on our level of support.

It's now 85 years since we won consecutive flags and we have not won multiple flags in the same decade since the 1950's.

Until 2017 Richmond might well have been irrelevant for close on 35 years but in winning multiple flags in the late 60's early 70's they cemented themselves a large supporter base and now having won over a new generation of kids they have simply grown it again.

My greatest hope would be that our current board finally get it and freed from the hyperbole of Ed we dispense with all the hubris based on glories long gone, we show some humility and alongside the new coach we work bloody hard to build this club up to the point where we can deliver sustained Premiership success.

Personally I don't want to leave this mortal world without witnessing at least one period of success that the fans of Richmond, Hawthorn or Geelong have gotten to enjoy over the last 10 years.

How about everyone else?

For me I just want the best coach for Collingwood and will keep an open mind even if heaven forbid that is deemed to be Lyon.

What I don't want is for half the field to be out of the race before the starters gun has even sounded because of age/experience/low profile.
Lyon would be the final straw for many lukewarm supporters and would test my faith severely.

Lyon would be the final straw for many lukewarm supporters and would test my faith severely.
If Lyon can get his head around attack, he will be good for our playing group. I think Ross is the best option for our club at present. He has an amazing ability to bring the group together and his former players love him. The complete opposite to what we are hearing of the playing group and Bucks. It's all hearsay I guess, lets hope the club makes the best decision.

If Lyon can get his head around attack, he will be good for our playing group. I think Ross is the best option for our club at present. He has an amazing ability to bring the group together and his former players love him. The complete opposite to what we are hearing of the playing group and Bucks. It's all hearsay I guess, lets hope the club makes the best decision.
Lyon will never get his head around attack- he has been coaching for over a decade and has always been the king of defensive coaching.

For those saying we cant afford an untried coach or a coach who hasnt won a flag...... consider this list

Coaches who have won flags at their second (or third) clubs

Malthouse 2010
Matthews 2001-3
Blight 1997-8
Parkin 1995
Jeans 1983,86,89,91
Barassi 1975, 1977

Most of that list is ancient history with Malthouse and Matthews the only successful experienced coaches this century

The list of second time coaches that have failed is much longer

Last edited:
For those saying we cant afford an untried coach or a coach who hasnt won a flag...... consider this list

Coaches who have won flags at their second (or third) clubs

Malthouse 2010
Matthews 2001-3
Blight 1997-8
Parkin 1995
Jeans 1983,86,89,91
Barassi 1975, 1977

Most of that list is ancient history with Malthouse and Matthews the only successful experienced coaches this century

The list of second time coaches that have failed is much longer
Do you have a candidate in mind Timmy? I'm not fussed either way, we have have lots of time to do our homework and come up with the right bloke.

Lyon will never get his head around attack- he has been coaching for over a decade and has always been the king of defensive coaching.
Listening to him on the radio it sounds like he has a much more attacking game style in his head and an amazing football brain. I doubt he will be taking any defensive s**t to an interview if he is serious about coaching again

A 3AW caller this morning said they saw Korda, Licca & Clarkson having coffee at southbank this morning.
Doesn't mean much, but interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d put on mark Williams and yze. Choco for the first 2 years before handing the reigns over to yze

Nope, won’t happen. The club has already outlined that one of the reasons they retired Bucks off is because they wanted a five year coach, and for that timeframe he wasn’t the guy. We won’t be appointing a temporary coach

I find it hard to believe that they would meet in such a public location

This is straight from the 1999 playbook of Eddie and Mick...

The board is trying to let us members know that we have a plan and have Clarko signed, hold off on an EGM...

They moved on Bucks for this reason, They met with David for this reason and they leaked the meeting with clarko for this reason, so that members can voice their opinion at the AGM but not call an EGM.

How about everyone else?

Really good post swoop42
I couldn't have put it any better myself.

Why though?
Was a leader of a young team that went onto achieve great things
Coached under Leigh Mathews.
Yeah sure his time as senior coach at Brisbane was not flash and perhaps was a mistake making him there coach,but keep in mind there clock had stopped ticking.
Has also gathered years of experience as an assistant.
Just my thought's

Why though?
Was a leader of a young team that went onto achieve great things
Coached under Leigh Mathews.
Yeah sure his time as senior coach at Brisbane was not flash and perhaps was a mistake making him there coach,but keep in mind there clock had stopped ticking.
Has also gathered years of experience as an assistant.
Just my thought's
The only reason I can think of is, Voss rhymes with Toss.
Good enough reason for me.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back