Strategy Operation Sign Alastair Clarkson 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Where did the Carlton link come from?

Personally I reckon it’s going to be the Blues.

When the whole succession plan broke, Gary Lyon was talking about it On the Couch in support of Clarkson’s likelihood of remaining at the Hawks. In doing so he let out what I considered a Freudian slip.

He basically said he was confident that Clarkson would be at “Car… I mean Hawthorn next year”.

Could be absolutely nothing, but given they are close friends I noted it. Very similar as Pickers slip of the tongue about Buddy and Sydney.

I think he's more likely to go to Carlton. His former head of fitness Andrew Russell is already there, so it could be a reunion of sorts.

Who would you prefer out of Pies and Blues based on the list?
Depends on the context.

Win now, with the largely ready built list but do so at your own peril - Carlton.

Be able to build and craft your own list without the instant expectation - Collingwood.

The risk/reward scenario for Clarko at Carlton is massive, id he can take the team to win a final next year he cements himself as the coaching mastermind that he has shown he can be. Miss finals all together and he'll be on the chopping block like all those before him & the questions start to get asked, how much of Hawthorns success is down to the absolutely elite players they were able to retain and recruit by being successful?

At Collingwood he would have more time, I think its a forgone conclusion that finals contention is a few years away '23/'24 seasons, this would allow him to craft the team to play the way he wants. The same risks arise though, as if there isn't a finals win by '25, similar questions will be asked.

Either way, he's inline for a big pay day, not withstanding the million hes gonna get next year for doing nothing.

Who would you prefer out of Pies and Blues based on the list?

On the list? Possibly the tankers. On their medium term history of coaching tenures? Collingwood by the length of the Flemington straight.

On the list? Possibly the tankers. On their medium term history of coaching tenures? Collingwood by the length of the Flemington straight.
On the lists clearly Carlton. Would be attractive to a coach he believes he can mould a club out of the inertia of recent decades. Thet have some good building blocks that are not on offer at Collingwood.

If he was interested in a ground up rebuild that will take longer the Pies. Forgetting the last 12 months we have a better recent history of being a well run club. Question is how much wash out from the last 12 months needs to occur.

Carlton unfortunately the safer bet for an incoming coach.

Still 12 months off and take over the best list coming out in the next 12 months is probably his best option. Maybe GC with their talent which is greater again and try and do a Lethal. There is a log jam of coaches on 4 flags and many great names. 5 Jack Worrall 100 years ago 6 Norm Smith and 8 Jock

Get to 5 and he is the greatest coach of the last 60 years. Reckon he will pick a list with that in mind. Pies unlikely

How does anyone think our kids would be rated by someone like Clarko. I’m not a good judge but 10 debutantes this year plus Quaynor, Daicos, Kelly, Browns plus N Daicos would suggest we have plenty to work with.

How does anyone think our kids would be rated by someone like Clarko. I’m not a good judge but 10 debutantes this year plus Quaynor, Daicos, Kelly, Browns plus N Daicos would suggest we have plenty to work with.
Lot of them but lacking quality to the majority of lists in the AFL

Mark Williams is the one I'd love to see come back and coach the Pies.

Port imo were very unlucky that they met their bunny in us in 02 and 03 we matched them well.

Some of their games vs Brisbane in that period is some of the best footy you could hope to watch as a neutral. Tough fast skilled footy. Port often coming out on top.

He then rebuilds them somewhat prematurely in 07 and then dumped not too long after.

Gets a bum wrap because of his angst when coaching port re some comments around the pies/port jumper sh*t.
They also changed the ruck rules to quell Primus. Injuries to key players also didn’t help

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton have the better list, but with that comes less flexibility. We are essentially a blank canvas, there is nobody on the list he couldn’t trade if he wanted to. He would trade at greater risk at Carlton I think.

Further more Carlton are corrupt and have been an underperforming club for sometime it is very hard to turn that around. We have been at the pointy end for a lot longer, our board instability is concerning however.

Would be a devastating blow for us if we lost out to Carlton I feel.

Carlton have the better list, but with that comes less flexibility. We are essentially a blank canvas, there is nobody on the list he couldn’t trade if he wanted to. He would trade at greater risk at Carlton I think.

Further more Carlton are corrupt and have been an underperforming club for sometime it is very hard to turn that around. We have been at the pointy end for a lot longer, our board instability is concerning however.

Would be a devastating blow for us if we lost out to Carlton I feel.
Irrelevant.

Best available coach and a quality board of assistants.

If that's Clarko fine but it only matters that we take the best available to us.

I’m in the minority here but I don’t want him.

1. Coaches are only as good as the cattle they have... and he had pretty sensational players at the hawks. Once that generation of talent finished at the Hawks, Clarko has been an average coach since. Will be different for Clarko at the blues or pies than his early hawks days

2. The man on the mark rule has led to more direct footy than the possession game. Older coaches tend to be quite fixed in their game plan and football philosophy. Clarko, Bucks, Brad Scott etc are coaching an older brand of footy... just like Malthouse was by the time he got to the blues

3. Harvey has shown that the way forward is faster more corridor based ball movement. We’re playing better flowing footy under Harvey than what we did under possession focused Bucks

Don Pyke is the man we should be targeting

1. Coaches are only as good as the cattle they have... and he had pretty sensational players at the hawks. Once that generation of talent finished at the Hawks, Clarko has been an average coach since. Will be different for Clarko at the blues or pies than his early hawks days

2. The man on the mark rule has led to more direct footy than the possession game. Older coaches tend to be quite fixed in their game plan and football philosophy. Clarko, Bucks, Brad Scott etc are coaching an older brand of footy... just like Malthouse was by the time he got to the blues

3. Harvey has shown that the way forward is faster more corridor based ball movement. We’re playing better flowing footy under Harvey than what we did under possession focused Bucks

agree completely. Clarkson is yesterday’s man with an outdated game plan and a previously successful moneyball recruiting policy that has steadily been backfiring over the past 4-5 years.

pyke or Kingsley for me.

I just want the best candidate for the job that's going to be the best coach for us for years to come. I am expecting him to take a year off than go to GWS or GC actually.

Pyke could be an excellent fit for us for sure, but also could be bold and back in someone untried. Really keen on Yze, Caracella and Kingsley if we go down that route.

Whoever gets the job has a massive job fixing our mess and needs all the support they can get.

I just want the best candidate for the job that's going to be the best coach for us for years to come. I am expecting him to take a year off than go to GWS or GC actually.

Pyke could be an excellent fit for us for sure, but also could be bold and back in someone untried. Really keen on Yze, Caracella and Kingsley if we go down that route.

Whoever gets the job has a massive job fixing our mess and needs all the support they can get.
Agreed but don't expect solidarity here - too many agendas lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back