Opeth

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else here heard of these guys?? I got their latest album, Blackwater Park, a few weeks back after catching one of their songs from a mate, and I gotta say that these guys rock.

They are black metal and Swedish, and have a mixture of some great guitar work which has alot of melody too it, and their singer can go from very devilish type growling to some perfect singing at the click of your fingers.

I suggest you really have a listen to these guys!! They are awesome!

pretty f'n good band this. Love their work. A bit different to your normal black metal band, but i reckon they are good.
With all the reports ive read on various newsgroups about them they are bloody good live as well.

Re: Re: Opeth

Originally posted by Macca19
pretty f'n good band this. Love their work. A bit different to your normal black metal band, but i reckon they are good.
With all the reports ive read on various newsgroups about them they are bloody good live as well.

I have actually heard that too. I heard "The Drapery Falls" and thought these guys were really good, but the other songs on the album just blew me away. All of them are very, very good.

And they are a bit diff to normal black metal bands, but it's a good difference none the less.

Have you hears any of their earlier albums? If so, are they as good or better?

Re: Re: Re: Opeth

Originally posted by CowboyFromHell

I have actually heard that too. I heard "The Drapery Falls" and thought these guys were really good, but the other songs on the album just blew me away. All of them are very, very good.

And they are a bit diff to normal black metal bands, but it's a good difference none the less.

Have you hears any of their earlier albums? If so, are they as good or better?

Havent heard any of their earlier albums no. Might have to do some research and see if i can get my hands on them

I haven't bought any CDs in a while :eek: mainly been trying to download stuff that I've heard on metal shows, and that has been recommended by other people, and Opeth falls into both those categories.

Haven't had much luck though. Not the easiest artist to find stuff from, and the longer songs take ages to download on my clapped-out ready-to-die computer.

Opeth, from the few songs I have heard, have a very interesting sound. As TwiggyDunn pointed out, the orchestration blends in very well with some damn heavy music, and the musicianship is good all round. They are one band that I will definitely take an interest in, and probably invest in a few of their CDs when the cashflow starts to improve. :)

Darky, if your lookin for some of their songs to download, go for "Harvest" and a radio edit (shortened version) of "The Drapery Falls". Some quality stuff there.

(Stronger Than All)
"We wrote this song when everyone else was trying to sound like f*cking Nirvana!" - Philip H. Anselmo

thats yur siggy CFH....the songs called Strength Beyond Strength tho...if your talking about Track 1 on Far Beyond Driven

Well pointed out mate. Yeah, the song is "Strength Beyond Strength", but I changed it to suit the way that Phil had said it. I'd show you if I still had the mp3, but I lost it.

The "Stronger Than All" part was something Phil said. Metal will always be Stronger than All, or something like that. The song came on straight after the end of that quote. So, I just used it as a sort of "theme" for the quote

Confused yet?? Hope so, cos I am!! Sorry if you are, I found it hard to explain I guess.

Well pointed out mate. Yeah, the song is "Strength Beyond Strength", but I changed it to suit the way that Phil had said it. I'd show you if I still had the mp3, but I lost it.

The "Stronger Than All" part was something Phil said. Metal will always be Stronger than All, or something like that. The song came on straight after the end of that quote. So, I just used it as a sort of "theme" for the quote

Confused yet?? Hope so, cos I am!! Sorry if you are, I found it hard to explain I guess.

I get what you mean!!!!

Good song that one...good cd too. I reckon Vulgar Display is only a smidgen in front of Far Beyond.

'I ASK YOU PLEASE JUST GIVE US.......FIVE MINUTES ALLOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNEEEE'

I get what you mean!!!!

Good song that one...good cd too. I reckon Vulgar Display is only a smidgen in front of Far Beyond.

'I ASK YOU PLEASE JUST GIVE US.......FIVE MINUTES ALLOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNEEEE'

Spot on. I love FBD, probably a bit more than VDOP, but both are awesome albums.

And I'm glad you got what I meant, because re-reading my post, it sorta didn't make sense to me! But at least ya got it! Which is a good effort.

Do you like NothingFace??

Can't say I have heard much about them.......what do they play and what are they like?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't say I have heard much about them.......what do they play and what are they like?

They are good....they're heavy...download a few of their songs. Villians is probly my favourite

Originally posted by Darky
I haven't bought any CDs in a while :eek: mainly been trying to download stuff that I've heard on metal shows, and that has been recommended by other people, and Opeth falls into both those categories.

Haven't had much luck though. Not the easiest artist to find stuff from, and the longer songs take ages to download on my clapped-out ready-to-die computer.

try audiogalaxy.....not a bad site for all forms of music......

They are good....they're heavy...download a few of their songs. Villians is probly my favourite

Alright, I shall def have a look. Thanx.

Spot on. I love FBD, probably a bit more than VDOP, but both are awesome albums.

And I'm glad you got what I meant, because re-reading my post, it sorta didn't make sense to me! But at least ya got it! Which is a good effort.

What about 'Projects in the Night'???:eek:

Oh that Rex Rocker & Diamond Darrell - what a pair of pretty chicks!:p

Originally posted by SydneyBomber

What about 'Projects in the Night'???:eek:

Oh that Rex Rocker & Diamond Darrell - what a pair of pretty chicks!:p

Okay, had you fun?? There is no denying that Pantera were glam in the 80's, but then again, there were not many bands that were not.

I hope you also know that Phil WAS NOT part of the band in the 80's. As soon as he came in, things changed, and changed for the better.

The pretty chicks thing was a little over the top though mate.

Okay, had you fun?? There is no denying that Pantera were glam in the 80's, but then again, there were not many bands that were not.

I hope you also know that Phil WAS NOT part of the band in the 80's. As soon as he came in, things changed, and changed for the better.

The pretty chicks thing was a little over the top though mate.

Aww c'mon - just havin a little fun!

I actually LIKE Pantera - Cowboys & Vulgar Display are truly great albums, that helped kickstart a new genre (or trend if you prefer!;) )

BUT,

Phil WAS a part of the band as they emerged from their glam period - don't let his 'I'm heavy' propaganda fool you.
I've seen the photos of him with long hair teased straight upwards, and it always made me laugh when he played the 'hard man of metal'.

AND,

There were a lot of bands that WEREN'T glam in the 80's - you just need to dig a bit deeper!;)

No harm intended, but if you try and tell me again that Phil WASN'T a glamboy, I might just post the photos.....;) :p

Aww c'mon - just havin a little fun!

I actually LIKE Pantera - Cowboys & Vulgar Display are truly great albums, that helped kickstart a new genre (or trend if you prefer!;) )

BUT,

Phil WAS a part of the band as they emerged from their glam period - don't let his 'I'm heavy' propaganda fool you.
I've seen the photos of him with long hair teased straight upwards, and it always made me laugh when he played the 'hard man of metal'.

AND,

There were a lot of bands that WEREN'T glam in the 80's - you just need to dig a bit deeper!;)

No harm intended, but if you try and tell me again that Phil WASN'T a glamboy, I might just post the photos.....;) :p

I know man, I just get a little touchy when people bring up that **** with Pantera. Especially Phil. No offence taken though.

Yeah, Phil was around then, but he is a BIG part of the reason they have changed over the years. Phil has changed alot, and most people look at him (and the band) as the kings of metal. They were glam along time ago. There is no denying that, as much as sometimes I wish I could!

But they are well past that. I still look at Phil as the face of metal these days. Even if he did wear long hair straight up once upon a time! :) ;)

I still look at Phil as the face of metal these days. Even if he did wear long hair straight up once upon a time! :) ;)

Well his taste in music is getting better - he's now Mr.Underground and a huge BM fan if reports are true. Good move taking Satyricon & Morbid Angel out on tour too.

That earnt him some points I guess.;)

Well his taste in music is getting better - he's now Mr.Underground and a huge BM fan if reports are true. Good move taking Satyricon & Morbid Angel out on tour too.

That earnt him some points I guess.;)

Good to hear! :)

Have you ever heard of his side band, Down?? Check out their first and only release if you haven't got it already, you can pick it up at JB-HIFI. They got a new one coming out REAL soon!:D

Have you ever heard of his side band, Down?? Check out their first and only release if you haven't got it already, you can pick it up at JB-HIFI. They got a new one coming out REAL soon!:D

Thanks , but no thanks...

Don't like 'Down' at all.

Good to hear! :)

Err... judging by the news of the past few days, they aren't his "side band" anymore. Looks like he has just about left Pantera and that they will call it quits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back