Status
Not open for further replies.

Macgruber

All Australian
Dec 4, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
The imminent trade of Josh Bruce and Jake Carlisle has left me with one theory.

Gallagher should stick to banking and stinkfinger(Lethlean) should stop hiring his mates.

This is at Pelchen level of stupidity.

Waiting for those who defend the drafting of Mccartin and the trading of McEvoy to get up in arms.

This club does itself no favours at all

Way too early to make this call in his first offseason after being at the club. We have to give something to get something and with Max Kings emergence Bruceys value will only go down. I don’t want him to go either but if we can get a quality mid via there draft we should take that hand over fist.

Let's just wait until the trade period actually starts before we hang someone out to dry.

The only X next to his name so far that i can see is giving McKenzie a 3 year deal (hopefully he has learnt from it).

The positives are that we have managed to re contract a multiple of youngsters and not lose anyone etc.

There are a number of staff that i have got bigger ?? on than Gallagher (Sexton? hamill? McGlyn?)

Carlisle looks set to stay. I'd also wait until the trade period finishes before casting judgement.

I would expect the club to have looked at all possible scenarios to protect Max Kings development should Bruce be traded out. Whether that's moving Battle back into the forward line or striking the right balance of Ryder and Marshall up forward.

Way too early to make this call in his first offseason after being at the club. We have to give something to get something and with Max Kings emergence Bruceys value will only go down. I don’t want him to go either but if we can get a quality mid via there draft we should take that hand over fist.

I hate counting chickens before they hatch. How can you say Max King's value won't plummet if he gets injured or isn't as good as we hope?

Let's judge him off his actual record rather than rumours. Last draft we brought in Parker, Hind, Young and Wilkie as mature-agers. Only one of those hasn't worked out so far. So I'd say he has some idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thinking behind this thread actually grinds my gears. This is because.......

The success of any strategy relies on 3 things.

1) the strategy being right. This is what everyone jumps at when a strategy falls over, but it ignores the other two factors.

2) Execution. You can have the best stratagem in the world but if you don’t execute then it will fail. History shows this over and over again. An example would be, taking Dunstan over Crouch. Strategy is ok to get the pick, but pick the wrong player. Simples.

Execution is heavily reliant on the people making the decision. All the people who have made our poor decisions in the past are gone. The new people (although in the same organisation) have nothing to do with the former decision makers. So a repeat of historical poor decision making is as likely as it would have been without the history. (This last part is what really pisses me off)

3) Luck. Sorry, it’s not fancy and I believe you make your own, but it plays are part. Both positive and negative. Losing Koby and Robo were examples, who know if that set us up for getting future stars Max and Bytel, maybe we play finals and Richo is still around and we become a middling team, maybe we win 2 premierships. But it’s a factor, and it doesn’t mean the original strategy was wrong.

In summation, I’m not saying the strategy is right, but saying it’s wrong because it didn’t work under completely different circumstances is silly.

giphy.gif

Indeed, SufferingS8INT. It's all about getting Bing and making this crucial trade period a winner. The strategy is, my thourtheth tell me, is to split pick one for two first rounders, nab a late first rounder for Steven and one for Josh Bruce.

That would give us four first round picks while losing Steven, who is gone anyway and Bruce. What a position to be in, compared to having pick 5 and 55 at the moment!

If they can pull that cunning plan off, I would suggest it would be outstanding, not the opposite as posited by the thread.

Once we have the picks, imagine the leverage we'd have! I'm further told one first and Blacres for Hill, two for Bing (yes it's still a big chance) leaving us with a late first rounder.

Jones for a future second, Ryder for two late junk picks and Tomlinson for free. Newnes probably walks, so compo cancelled if Tomlinson comes.

That last one may not happen if the news on Robbo is positive. In any event, I'd grab Tomlinson as a versatile back up swingman and hope he's great mates with Gubby, Jelly, Whitfield, Cameron and Taranto, for reasons that sgould become obvious during the GWS Giants' inevitable salary cap fire sale, which will take place during the 2020 trade period.

So. In - Hill, Jones, Ryder, Bing, Tomlinson and around pick 15-17.

Out - Pick 5, future second, Newnes, Acres, Bruce and Steven.

This is realistic and leaves us well positioned. A couple of big weaknesses addressed, and one of the best young talents in the land brought in. It would also leave us with 6, top 8 draft picks on our list. That's a foundation for success, not failure. Get to it Satan, Gags and Libba!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back