(Opinion) Is Darrel Baldock the worst Australian football hall of fame "legend" of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Thankyou for naming some options. Which one of those 3 is the worst legend of all time?
Why on earth do you think you will ever get any closure or consensus on a ridiculous question like that?

Comparing great players across eras has been flogged to death and then some for every single sport that exists. There is no agreement anywhere in the world on what comparisons are valid given changes in coaching, training, opportunity, diet, pay, population, competition, equipment and rules.

THERE IS NO RIGHT ANSWER. They were all outstanding, end of story.

Your problem is that you would not be able to recognise a compelling argument as your criteria is stats based around VFL/AFL games.

Baldock was a superb footballer, that you could only truly appreciate if you had seen him play.
He won club B & F 3 times at St Kilda in 7 seasons including his first 2 seasons. He was also elevated to captain of the club in his second season and led them to their only premiership.

He established himself as the best CHF in the game despite his relatively short stature.

He dominated Tasmanian football before and after his VFL stint and the competition in Tasmania was much stronger in those eras.

His record around All Australian etc ( that you have quoted) stands up very well against other legends in Ian Stewart (1), Royce Hart (1) and Kevin Bartlett (0) and Baldock was a better footballer than any of those.

Yeah but how many dreamteam points did he average?

Playing career: 119 games. 237 goals. 2 times All Australian. 1966 Premiership captain.

Coaching career: 18 wins. 44 losses.

If Barry Breen does not kick that behind Baldock is not elevated.

Is Darrel Baldock the worst Australian Football Hall of Fame Legend of all time?
How old are you. The man was an unbelievable player. I would have him still in my team of the century if current players were included. Only see stewart as competing with him as best ever from tassie. If you're not old enough dont comment. Makes you look daft. If you are Im concerned at your understanding of the game. Stats matter but resounding brilliance matters more.

How old are you. The man was an unbelievable player. I would have him still in my team of the century if current players were included. Only see stewart as competing with him as best ever from tassie. If you're not old enough dont comment. Makes you look daft. If you are Im concerned at your understanding of the game. Stats matter but resounding brilliance matters more.
Hart and Hudson should also be up there with the best Tassie players

Right that is multiple sources seemingly putting Baldock ahead of Hudson.

Would someone like to state the case for Baldock>Hudson in here?

He did not make the AFL team of the century. Did not get selected at CHF in the Tasmanian team of the century despite being captain.

Was Baldock better than Carey in your view? Where would you position him?

Why on earth do you think you will ever get any closure or consensus on a ridiculous question like that?

Comparing great players across eras has been flogged to death and then some for every single sport that exists. There is no agreement anywhere in the world on what comparisons are valid given changes in coaching, training, opportunity, diet, pay, population, competition, equipment and rules.

THERE IS NO RIGHT ANSWER. They were all outstanding, end of story.
Quality fence sit. It is the damn off season and if you do not agree that Baldock is Australian football hall of fame "legend" of all time then tell me who is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He did not make the AFL team of the century. Did not get selected at CHF in the Tasmanian team of the century despite being captain.

Was Baldock better than Carey in your view? Where would you position him?

Vic half forward line of the day versus WA at Subi
Baldock, Hart, Jezza

Whos better, enjoy !!!

Quality fence sit. It is the damn off season and if you do not agree that Baldock is Australian football hall of fame "legend" of all time then tell me who is.
Don't know and don't care, I just like hearing about the great players I never got a chance to see. A question like Dunstall vs Lockett never interested me half as much as getting a chance to watch either of them.

Welcome to our Stupid New World.
All stats.
No brains.
Brains remember only about 5 percent of what we watch in the past year. going back 30 years and its less than 0.01 per cent. Brains are also biased. We only focus on certain aspects of the game when watching it. We also always tend to think the game was better when we were first introduced to it. All the baby boomers tend to think the best footballers were from the 60s and 70s. Brains are frankly rubbish.

Give me stats any day of the week despite there own limitations.

Brains remember only about 5 percent of what we watch in the past year. going back 30 years and its less than 0.01 per cent. Brains are also biased. We only focus on certain aspects of the game when watching it.

1) We also always tend to think the game was better when we were first introduced to it

2) All the baby boomers tend to think the best footballers were from the 60s and 70s.

Brains are frankly rubbish.

Give me stats any day of the week despite there own limitations.

Interesting.

Allow me to utilise stats in response.

The AFL TOTC selection panel only consisted of one person that could identify as a baby boomer (Gerard Healy), out of the eight selection panel members (12.5%).

Despite this, the AFL TOTC comprises 12 players (57%) whose body of work consists of playing in the 60's and 70's.

Statistics do not support your premise.

Interesting.

Allow me to utilise stats in response.

The AFL TOTC selection panel only consisted of one person that could identify as a baby boomer (Gerard Healy), out of the eight selection panel members (12.5%).

Despite this, the AFL TOTC comprises 12 players (57%) whose body of work consists of playing in the 60's and 70's.

Statistics do not support your premise.
Did you quote the wrong post? what has any of that got to do with my post.

I am pointing out that your notion of bias is incorrect by utilising statistics.
we are talking about public opinion here not a group of experts. In any case the preference for the past bias would still favour 60-70 players compared to more modern players for people who started watching football in the 40s and 50s. especially since those panel members were probably playing in the 60s and 70s and over rating their own peers because it makes them feel more superior to say they played against the best.

we are talking about public opinion here not a group of experts. In any case the preference for the past bias would still favour 60-70 players compared to more modern players for people who started watching football in the 40s and 50s. especially since those panel members were probably playing in the 60s and 70s and over rating their own peers because it makes them feel more superior to say they played against the best.

Five of them were players.

Aylett retired in 64
Davis retired in 58
Beames retire in 44
Healy only played in 79

Only Parkin's career consisted of 60's and 70's football.

Baldock has been a legend - and given I never saw him I have to take the word of those that did. He was an extraordinary footballer.

On the whole Hart was ordinary. :p

Royce Hart was CHF of the Century. I did watch him play, mostly on one leg (not old enough to see his prime). He would have 2 or 3 guys marking him and made them look like idiots. He was a fulcrum around which the dominant team of the late 60's, early 70's played. If he played nowadays his knee would be fixed and his professional attitude would fit like a glove. He made everyone around him look like they were playing at 90% speed and he was at 110%.

The guys selected as legends are legends!

Cazaly was famous for his high marks - therefore 'up there Cazaly'. Apparently he jumped so high so often it became a catch cry. You don't that status by accident. Legend!

To be fair the players back in the day played on gluepots not the billiard tables they play on today, the skill level of the old players was as good if not better than today, yes today they are faster, stronger etc, but put them on a dry day at mooorabin and see how today’s players cope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back