Oppo Phones?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
Hey guys n gals,

I'm wondering has anyone had any experience with this brand of phone, I've been reading reviews ect online and they seem pretty good and only half the price of a Samsung or iPhone. I'm just a little bit hesitant due to being a Samsung man myself.

What's your thoughts?

I use one, because why the * would I drop a grand plus on a phone to take an occasional picture, phone call, use WhatsApp and browse the information superhighway when I can get something that does all of that without the 'brand name recognition' for $700 less and put it on pre paid

Crux of it is that the hardware is good, the software is s**t but it still manages to do everything I need it to without problem

Battery life is pretty awesome too. I've got the F1s

Last edited:
Oppo Blu-ray players are highly regarded for performance far beyond their price range, although I believe it's a separate manufacturing operation to the mobile business.

For a basic user shouldn't be a problem, but you do get what you pay for, ie, Samsung have the best screen tech, the best camera, the best SW of late IMO, and excellent build and battery performance.

I bought a Motorola G4 Plus a few weeks ago after accidentally murdering my Samsung Note 4 and for $298 from Officeworks this thing is fantastic for the price. I have experienced no lags (I don't really use CPU/Memory intensive apps) and it runs smooth as. Only thing is the camera is 16MP but only 1080P so it does struggle in low light but apart from that I can't fault it. I did look seriously at the Oppo's but value for money lent me toward this phone. I do miss the S Pen though :(

For the record Motorola is now owned by Lenovo so is actually a Chinese phone.

Also the Oppo has only A-GPS where the Motorola has both A-GPS (basically US system) and Glonass (basically Russian system).

I'm in desperate need of a new phone, I cant justify a $100 plan for the new s8.
Im weighing up between the Oppo R9s Plus vs Galaxy S7, I dont want an edge so which one would you guys choose? They're similar price just under $600 year, Oppo from JBHiFi and the S7 from Kogan.
https://www.smartprix.com/mobiles/samsung_galaxy_s7_vs_oppo_r9s_plus-c1101pdlmsj5_1101ih4z23s.php
http://gsminsider.com/2017/01/oppo-r9s-plus-vs-samsung-galaxy-s7-vs-galaxy-s7-edge-specs-comparison/

By what I'm reading the Oppo seems like the better phone.

Not answering the op but fwiw I'm completely in love with my Nexus 5x... $355 of raw function.
Easily the best smartphone I've owned.
Once you've had pure Andriod without Touchwiz or other manufacturers crap bogging you down you will never go back.

Specs not as good, but it does everything I need just as well as my wife's S7.
Screen scratches easy though but for that price I don't really give a stuff.

https://www.android-enjoyed.com/lg-nexus-5x-32gb-4g-lte-black-h791-unlocked.html#.WO2KgPmGOUk

My mother has the Oppo Fs-1. Besides the horribly overbearing software it's quite a nice device. Nothing a simple vanilla android flash wouldn't fix.
Marshmellow is now available for the F1s which is essentially vanilla android with the oppo cloud features. Coupled with the Nova launcher its a very decent experience

http://www.oppo.com/au/supports/announcement/test

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have the R9s. Have had absolutely no problems after over a month, battery life is ridiculously good. UI isn't amazing but I've just been lazy and not changed it up yet. Camera is good too.
Grab the update from the above link. Made a massive difference

I use one, because why the **** would I drop a grand plus on a phone to take an occasional picture, phone call, use WhatsApp and browse the information superhighway when I can get something that does all of that without the 'brand name recognition' for $700 less and put it on pre paid

Crux of it is that the hardware is good, the software is s**t but it still manages to do everything I need it to without problem

Battery life is pretty awesome too. I've got the F1s

My mother has the Oppo Fs-1. Besides the horribly overbearing software it's quite a nice device. Nothing a simple vanilla android flash wouldn't fix.

Marshmellow is now available for the F1s which is essentially vanilla android with the oppo cloud features. Coupled with the Nova launcher its a very decent experience

http://www.oppo.com/au/supports/announcement/test
Had a look at these today. The oppo A57 is in my price range ie ridiculously cheap. What are the software issues? And does the bug-fix linked fix them or cover them?

Had a look at these today. The oppo A57 is in my price range ie ridiculously cheap. What are the software issues? And does the bug-fix linked fix them or cover them?
Software is fine. Chuck a launcher on it and its more than decent

Nearly a year now and I cant fault the A57.

As an old man my use of the phone is texts, whatsapp, pictures ,browsing and apps. Does each and every one satisfactorily. The low light pictures have been a small problem on worksites but minor minor issue.

I did not ' chuck a launcher' and dont think I miss not having one.

Have dropped it a few times and the cheap as case and rubber backing have held up. Screen is 100% intact. The biggest issue was adjusting to the size of the phone after moving from a smaller screen. ie pockets etc.

I would consider the Oppo brand in the future

Since this thread has popped up, I have a Oppo R9S now and I can't fault it. Had it since Christmas and the battery life is amazing, I could easily get over 2 days out of it.

Would buy the brand again after this first experience.

Not an Oppo but I have recently upgraded to an International Oneplus 6 via grey import for $750.
It's pretty close to being relevant to this thread as Oneplus is a completely owned subsidiary of Oppo.

Everything is compatible with Australian networks except for voLTE on Telstra network, for which you need Telstra firmware. Meh.

This phone is awesome and would definitely purchase from Oneplus again.
There's a million and one reviews out there if anyone wanted to check it out.
The Oxygen OS android skin is very fast and the closest you will find to stock Android which is a huge bonus. It will receive security updates at virtually the same time as Pixel and is the only other device outside of Pixel to gain access to Android P.
It does everything faster than my wife's Pixel 2, the battery lasts longer, and when it does die it charges in half the time.
In fact, Dash charge is brilliant and shows wireless charging up for the gimmicky wank it is.

It does have a few quirks which can be bypassed pretty easily.
MMS quality is really low on the Oneplus message app. Can use stock Android message app or a data app like Messenger.
The torch brightness is low. Can use a different torch app the includes a brightness scale.

For a basic user shouldn't be a problem, but you do get what you pay for, ie, Samsung have the best screen tech, the best camera, the best SW of late IMO, and excellent build and battery performance.
Having had my oppo57 for (what I thought was 5 ) 4 years its starting to sag a bit - so I am looking around after having a nice score on the poker table over the weekend

I looked at the Oppo A91 versus the Samsung A31 - both models seem similar - does your above comment still hold?

I also like the google pixel 3 ( mate has one) both the 4 and 4a seem ok but unsure

My use is still apps, texts , phoning but I have included podcasts and poker game sites - which the oppo handles fine - but battery life is now down to less than 10 hours ( still good )

Price is still a concern as the win wasnt that big plus wife tax took a bit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back