Opposition Clubs Poaching Our Players

Remove this Banner Ad

cmt26

Team Captain
Feb 17, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've seen a few threads floating around recently, looking at which disgruntled players that we'd like to pry out from other clubs, that are currently on the periphery.

I'd like the opinion of people on the opposite. Which fringe players of ours do you think other clubs would like to poach?

Obviously take out guys like Rockliff, Redden, Polec, Leuenberger, Rich etc and focus more on guys like Retz, Polkinghorne, O'Brien, Hawksley etc.

From my own thinking, there aren't too many that other clubs would try to actively recruit, which is a good thing but unfortunately shows exactly where our list is at.

What are people's thoughts on this?

I don't think there are any fringe players that other clubs would be dying to get, but you'd have to think there are a few that clubs believe they could get more out of. Just off the top of my head:
Cornelius- has very strong hands and could see a club like the Bulldogs who are lacking a forward line enquiring.
Retzlaff- as above
Banfield- still has some credit outside of Brisbane and might be handy to someone maybe like a West Coast or another side with a tall forward line

Perhaps we should let Angus Johnson decide who stays and who we try and offload. He seems to have some fairly strong views about a number of our listed players.

" I think there's a few players at Brisbane Lions who really to have a long, hard look at themselves ... I'm not convinced that everyone on our list understands what you need to be an elite footballer ...I'm talking about blokes who don't show commitment for the whole four quarters."
- Quoted by Greg Davis, Lions hearts, minds questioned, Herald Sun 14/5/12

Although after that sort of spray from the Chairman of the Club Board, it might be hard to convince anyone to pick these players up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back