Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Why Stephen Silvagni’s tenure as Carlton list manager will be remembered as a success

Few list managers have had their fingerprints over a more comprehensive overhaul of a non-expansion list than Steven Silvagni.
As he approaches the November 27-28 national and pre-season draft period many believe will be his last at Carlton, the change in five seasons is nothing short of extraordinary.

Of the 44 players on the Carlton list — including two of his sons — only seven of them were at Carlton before he arrived in 2015. Those players are Liam Jones, Sam Docherty, Ed Curnow, Patrick Cripps, Matthew Kreuzer, Levi Casboult and Kade Simpson.

There are plenty of misses in his list of trades and the question of whether this side will become a premiership contender depends on turning potential into reality.

Can Charlie Curnow become great or just merely good, can No. 3 pick Paddy Dow blossom, can Jacob Weitering elevate into an All Australian defender after this year’s sixth in the John Nicholls Medal?

But if this is Silvagni’s curtain call after exactly five seasons at Ikon Park, only the churlish would begrudge the job he has done.

A million five-year plans at clubs like Melbourne, Richmond and St Kilda have turned into the punchline for a sick joke, as clubs bottom out only to realise they are no closer to the promised land than when they started.

The Carlton team that will run out for David Teague next year is stacked with A-grade talent, has depth to burn in every position bar small forward and should legitimately believe finals are a realistic starting point.

He could scarcely have done more to maximise what should be a five-to-seven year window of opportunity.

Silvagni’s demise has been predicted for months, with CEO Cain Liddle failing to guarantee his job as far back as June.

If he does leave Carlton as predicted, it will be because he and the club have simply worn on each other.

Silvagni and sacked coach Brendon Bolton butted heads over the game plan and selection integrity.

His son Jack Silvagni was out of Bolton’s team for the first month before putting together his best season.

List management decisions on Brandon Ellis and Eddie Betts came with plenty of internal argy bargy.

And with Mick Agresta the official list manager but Silvagni his boss with a fancier title but still effectively the list boss, tension bubbled to the surface.

But the sum of the parts of Silvagni’s overhaul has to be a massive tick.

Few clubs have stockpiled such an array of 24-and-under talent as Carlton’s enviable list: Patrick Cripps, Caleb Marchbank, Curnow, Weitering, Harry McKay, Sam Walsh, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Zac Fisher, Paddy Dow, Liam Stocker, Lochie O’Brien.

The failures have stood out: Carlton traded Zach Tuohy to Geelong where he has played 66 exceptional games (and is still only 29), with Billie Smedts quickly long gone.

In truth many of the GWS arrivals got to Carlton before Silvagni arrived, but on the whole the Blues haven’t struck paydirt.

Marchbank could yet be a star, Lochie Plowman finished third in this year’s b-and-f, while Matt Kennedy and Will Setterfield have promise.

But none of Jarrod Pickett, Liam Sumner, Jed Lamb, Rhys Palmer or proved anything close to game-changers for the Blues.

So if Silvagni walks away having secured another young star with pick nine and Jack Martin as a pre-season pick, he will feel vindicated in the decisions he has made.

View attachment 776163View attachment 776164
Who the * wrote that article because that has classic ' write what i tell you to write or else ' written all over it.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
hysterical laughter.gif

Funky Chicken

Colourful Racing Identity
Apr 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Don't be stupid
Lol Ricky Nixon , cats lost pre lim coz Dangerflog was injured , Cats will win flag coz they now have Stevens and the seagull , Richmond won’t make the 8 because we don’t have a charity fixture . He’s obviously still taking drugs . Flog

Coke fiend + Social media =
Capture.PNG

Who the fu** wrote that article because that has classic ' write what i tell you to write or else ' written all over it.

Wrong

This is the AFL boys club pumping up SOSs tyres to make sure he gets gifted another gig

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Wrong

This is the AFL boys club pumping up SOSs tyres to make sure he gets gifted another gig
Oh Yeah a nice cushy lil spot on the Rules committee...hocking and sos...now they both have a brain between them! perfect!

Few clubs have stockpiled such an array of 24-and-under talent as Carlton’s enviable list: Patrick Cripps, ... ... um .........
Yeah, well there’s Cripsy, and..... um..... .........
OK, yeah, that’s about it.
But he is very, very good.

EFA

rmcq

????????????
Sep 6, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I 100% blame Shazza and biaseddustyfan for this.

View attachment 776031
Well. It appears at though I shall have to increase my posting frequency to counteract the poor grammar being used regularly on this electronic hyperlinked contraption. Please remember the word is LOSE, not LOOSE. It's affecting our status as the most intelligent, perspicacious group on BigFooty.

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
Well. It appears at though I shall have to increase my posting frequency to counteract the poor grammar being used regularly on this electronic hyperlinked contraption. Please remember the word is LOSE, not LOOSE. It's affecting our status as the most intelligent, perspicacious group on BigFooty.
OK! I've lost weight and now my pants are very lose. :thumbsu:

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Noah Anderson will be at Richmond within 2 years along with Tom green mark it down both Richmond supporters and will not want to play with those 2 rabble clubs and plus perfect replacement for Cotchin and Martin
Delicious

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
How the **** are we supposed to keep tabs on blokes after winning a flag,....

they would be celebrating for days on end!

:D
They know Dusty's still at the G.
Car still there.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Blues fans devastated at the possibility of sos leaving, fmd like he has put a premiership list together , these campaigners are delusional .
Not as delusional as a few in the media claiming SoS's tenure has been a success.
I mean you can't make this s**t up if you tried.He wouldn't be able to tie Blair Hatleys shoe laces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back