AFLW Opposition Observation

Remove this Banner Ad

just saw an interesting post on AFLW main board, bit of Nostradamus thrown in for sure

Have heard Hawk's coach Bec Goddard has big raps on Tessa Lavey, but doubt Lavey would entertain leaving

Bec Miller to Sydney, yeah forgot she's originally from N.S.W, but again doubt that she'll leave

"Below is something not published in the Herald Sun, though it isn't any less accurate than numerous reports from previous expansion periods wherein Lily Mithen's move to Geelong, for example, was deemed a fait accompli."
"It is purely an interpretation of each club's priorities, in terms of signing players who are currently on an AFLW list."
"It is not a commentary on each player's intentions, nor does it address prospects who aren't currently on an AFLW list."

"ESSENDON are extremely optimistic about Georgia Patrikios playing AFLW football this time next year.
They hope to land her alongside Ally Anderson, Georgie Prespakis, and Ashleigh Riddell to form what some are calling the "GAGA" midfield.
If Patrikios doesn't come around, they will target Maddy Prespakis to lead the on-ball unit, but with some reluctance due to Carlton's preparedness to retain her."
View attachment 1317256

"HAWTHORN are expected to hone in on the players Bec Goddard and list manager Mitch Cashion believe to be the league's most underrated.
This includes Tayla Harris, in whom the Bombers and the Swans are also very interested."
View attachment 1317257

"PORT ADELAIDE will approach every player currently listed with the Crows.
In the interests of brevity, the "Others on the Radar" section focuses on South Australians who may be lured back to the Festival State.
The Power also plan to pounce on Chloe Scheer if she gets homesick at the Cattery."
View attachment 1317258

"The SYDNEY SWANS want to build a squad around experienced leaders who can engage with their minds and their hearts, as well as unique individuals who exchange ideas, thoughts and energy.
They will particularly look to the GWS Giants' dramatic improvement in the second AFLW season as a blueprint."
View attachment 1317259

Very interesting.

Bottom line is they simply aren’t doing their jobs if they don’t target good players. Whether they go or not is another thing.

Reckon the Patrikios one has real legs though.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Very interesting.

Bottom line is they simply aren’t doing their jobs if they don’t target good players. Whether they go or not is another thing.

Reckon the Patrikios one has real legs though.

too true, target wide & see where the chips fall

not 100% sure where the info comes from tho, especially the JPEG's

yeah the Patrikios, G.Prespakis & M.Prespakis to Don's is very old news

good luck to all the exp sides, as long as they keep away from us ;)

Collingwood making our game against Freo look a little better. Pies down by 12 pts at 3qt, but got it forward once I think. Frederick - please stay in the side and play us - be great to have player free 90% of the time. Hope she has soap and a towel out there because being given a bath atm.

It wasn't good was it?

I didn't see all of the match but what I did see was a lot of jogging around. No physicality.

I'm not sure what the plan is with Sabrina. She is one of the few that can roost the ball 50m plus yet in the 4 games so far she has had 10 kicks and 22 handballs. Only 7 marks in those 4 games. It can partly be explained with her being under the pump when she gets the ball but still, 10/22 is miles off what I would expect Steve Symonds to be asking of her. Even worse, in her 2 kick 7 handball game yesterday she went at 47% efficiency. Not under any circumstance when 70% of your disposals are handballs is 47% anywhere near acceptable. It should be more 65-75% Freo would have been licking their lips.

One piece of play led to a Freo goal when Sabs just jogged to the contest followed by half hearted effort and the ball ended up in Freo's hands. I recall she was too busy screaming for a free while the Freo girls were just getting on with it. Leave it with the fans on the other side of the fence to yell for frees Sabs! Rookie error from seasoned player.

Aine Tighe the Irish woman took her to the cleaners from the vision I saw. It was a horror match up. Tighe is taller, much much more mobile and a shitload more hungry after a really bad run with injury.

Aine Tighe the Irish woman took her to the cleaners from the vision I saw. It was a horror match up. Tighe is taller, much much more mobile and a shitload more hungry after a really bad run with injury.
Aine Tighe cleaned up alright! Sabrina needs to get into Septic cleaning because she is going to be give a lot of Sh1t over her performances. The Jack Dyer statue covered more ground that day. Collingwood gave up a lot of commonsense to get here, and it's now paying off big time by playing her!

Last edited:
Alice Edmonds having another serviceable game with the Bulldogs - How handy for her!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Need to have a plan for Kirsty Lamb.

She murdered us last year. Was the difference in the game

do what Kiara Bowers tried to do, knock her out????
that was some hit, best i've ever seen, Burke really not happy about it

"Although the person who hit 'Lamby', they might be a different story, but we'll see how that plays out," he said in his post-match press conference.

do what Kiara Bowers tried to do, knock her out????
that was some hit, best i've ever seen, Burke really not happy about it

"Although the person who hit 'Lamby', they might be a different story, but we'll see how that plays out," he said in his post-match press conference.

1643773327286.png

This is a real shame. Ash is a hell of a footballer.

STAR Collingwood defender Ash Brazill has opted to sit out the remainder of the NAB AFLW season.

Brazill has not yet featured for the Pies this year, having represented Australia in netball's Quad Series in the United Kingdom, and is eager to continue to push her claim for selection in the Commonwealth Games later this year.

The 32-year-old has played 16 games for the Pies since 2018, battling a torn ACL along the way, but at her best, she is a strong and dynamic key back, and was named an All-Australian in 2019.

Gone, just a matter of how many weeks?

She got 2 weeks. AFL would hate that stuff.

C7 reported in their news tonight that Kirsty Lamb suffered concussion from the incident.

If that’s the case, she can’t line up in the game against us.

Lamb did return to the field in the final few minutes of the game though. Perhaps delayed concussion??

Didn't have to wait for long for more "another man" outrage.

COLLINGWOOD assistant Scott Gowans has quit the Magpies to become Sydney's inaugural AFLW coach.

Gowans was the senior coach of North Melbourne’s first AFLW side, and led the team to 11 wins from 14 games in 2019-2020. He has also held AFLW assistant coaching roles at Carlton and Collingwood, most recently overseeing the Magpies' midfield.

Prior to joining the AFLW, Gowans served as the inaugural head coach of the Dandenong Stingrays women's academy. He also coached the Victorian Country team to a national title at the 2017 NAB AFL Youth Girls National Championships, and in the same year he coached Diamond Creek to a grand final appearance in the VFL Women's competition.

Didn't have to wait for long for more "another man" outrage.

COLLINGWOOD assistant Scott Gowans has quit the Magpies to become Sydney's inaugural AFLW coach.

Gowans was the senior coach of North Melbourne’s first AFLW side, and led the team to 11 wins from 14 games in 2019-2020. He has also held AFLW assistant coaching roles at Carlton and Collingwood, most recently overseeing the Magpies' midfield.

Prior to joining the AFLW, Gowans served as the inaugural head coach of the Dandenong Stingrays women's academy. He also coached the Victorian Country team to a national title at the 2017 NAB AFL Youth Girls National Championships, and in the same year he coached Diamond Creek to a grand final appearance in the VFL Women's competition.
There was no outrage in that article - can imagine it might surround it - but it was pretty fair trumpet of Gowans. It takes a fairly special bloke to be effective in this arena.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was no outrage in that article - can imagine it might surround it - but it was pretty fair trumpet of Gowans. It takes a fairly special bloke to be effective in this arena.

No none in the article. Plenty elsewhere. None from existing or former players funnily enough. The opposite in fact. Just outrage from those on the other side of the fence.

I think the quality and improvement in AFLW over a few short years is proof enough that the right people are being selected. If you want elite performance you need those who can get results. Not coaches in training themselves.

Their time will come though. Daisy, Mel Hickey, Erin Phiillips etc will make outstanding coaches in future.

No none in the article. Plenty elsewhere. None from existing or former players funnily enough. The opposite in fact. Just outrage from those on the other side of the fence.

I think the quality and improvement in AFLW over a few short years is proof enough that the right people are being selected. If you want elite performance you need those who can get results. Not coaches in training themselves.

Their time will come though. Daisy, Mel Hickey, Erin Phiillips etc will make outstanding coaches in future.

Agreed, elite is elite no matter the gender. That said, you would have to say there are a few men in training themselves..........

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
too true, target wide & see where the chips fall

not 100% sure where the info comes from tho, especially the JPEG's

yeah the Patrikios, G.Prespakis & M.Prespakis to Don's is very old news

good luck to all the exp sides, as long as they keep away from us ;)
I tipped that , they must have read my crystal ball gazing . Expect Ess to have a real crack leaving no stone unturned , wouldn’t surprise at all to re unite the sisters , prob from northern subs too

Lions ALL over Pies at half time.

Sabrina, ignoring her 2 hit outs, not a touch.

Another half like that and she should make way for someone else next week.
A couple of quality possessions late reeked of a rocket. We remember well what it was like playing one down!

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Gold Coast have impressed me tbh. From wooden spooners to 4% out of the 8 after playing 5 Rounds. I don’t know if they’ll make finals but they’re in a decent position in the event that a Davey-less Collingwood keeps slipping further down the ladder.

They have Bulldogs, St Kilda, Carlton, and Collingwood left so it’s possible. Brisbane’s the really tough one.

I can’t see all the love for the cats by the seven commentators, they are crap
Early games they were good, really cracked in, however they appear to have lost some of that. Seem to rely a little too much on last qtr efforts

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Well, 61-2 at 3 quarter time. Gold Coast out of their depth tonight. Is their previous form worse than it appears or are they just having a bad day?

Well, 61-2 at 3 quarter time. Gold Coast out of their depth tonight. Is their previous form worse than it appears or are they just having a bad day?
Pace, pace and pace - now 73 to 2 - but as I type Tori Groves-Little for GC gets one over the top - scunged it! Then some Perkins pressure inside 50 wins a free and goal from a nice kick on an angle

Last edited:

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Pace, pace and pace - now 73 to 2 - but as I type Tori Groves-Little for GC gets one over the top - scunged it! Then some Perkins pressure inside 50 wins a free and goal from a nice kick on an angle
In the end 85-16 though. What a whooping.

Kinda dread our Round 10 against Brisbane now lol

Back