No Oppo Supporters Opposition posters say the strangest things - Carlton posters ONLY

Remove this Banner Ad

It is only on age profile, pace and experience that they could be in a good spot to challenge. They are short ballwinners, short tacklers, and really short KPP. If Hurley or Hooker go down at any point, their backline is genuinely f’ed the way they get ahead of the break after they win possession, and the opposition has and can waltz it down the other end without an Essendon player coming within cooee of them. Francis is not a KPD, he's also shorter than Plowman, and plays far looser; it's emblematic of how important the intercepting defender is that he is so highly rated, when and where I look at him and see someone too slow to play on a small, too short and weak to play on a monster, and really needs to be played as an extra. Sure, you can break games open this way - see, Rance - but at what point does one's value begin to turn? Exactly how many players need pay for your deficiencies before it's too many?

And they should never have gotten rid of Mitch Brown, who has - despite barely being at the level at all - been quietly rather competent in Daniher's absence. They rely on the little blokes to kick their goals, but they've got the most bipolar smalls in the comp anyway. This is - of course - assuming Daniher comes good, which is no certainty given the fact that he sought a trade out.

They're going to suck again. It's going to be pretty fun.

They could use McKernan back there, but I agree, they are very thin

be interesting to see how daniher performs from the no-man's land he has created for himself......................

I'm always interested in *, its the gift that keeps on giving. I find it laughable that some here berate our inner workings ….. * is a blueprint of what NOT to do internally.

And they should never have gotten rid of Mitch Brown, who has - despite barely being at the level at all - been quietly rather competent in Daniher's absence. They rely on the little blokes to kick their goals, but they've got the most bipolar smalls in the comp anyway. This is - of course - assuming Daniher comes good, which is no certainty given the fact that he sought a trade out.

I think Mitch Brown doing well this is kind of emblematic of their problems in that he’s been their number 1 forward and still only gone at a goal a game. Their other options are barely AFL standard in McKernan and Stewart, and there are still big question marks on Daniher.

With their efficiency transitioning from defence they should dominate (there are weird links with the Tigers re: mega quick breaks and how non-plussed they are losing the clearance as long as they get the ball back) but they just don’t have a hard edge and are let down by key players in their midfield far too often.

I think Mitch Brown doing well this is kind of emblematic of their problems in that he’s been their number 1 forward and still only gone at a goal a game. Their other options are barely AFL standard in McKernan and Stewart, and there are still big question marks on Daniher.

With their efficiency transitioning from defence they should dominate (there are weird links with the Tigers re: mega quick breaks and how non-plussed they are losing the clearance as long as they get the ball back) but they just don’t have a hard edge and are let down by key players in their midfield far too often.
While he's only gone at a goal a game, it isn't really a testament to what he provided for them. He was a) a hit up target, providing them chopout options down the line (and without Daniher or Hooker up forward, they don't have much other options there); b) he was a leadup high half forward, providing transition for them through half forward, c) he was a FF in that he lead at the ball inside fifty, drew it to him, and d) if he didn't mark it, he brought it to ground as close to Tippa or Fantasia as he could.

You can't really ask for much more, given their 'Richmond without the tackling' gameplan. He's no Riewoldt (and neither's Daniher) but he's certainly better than the remaining options inhouse.

Last edited:
crying-with-laughter.gif

Rance was the undisputed number one defender in the comp for five years. Judd was never the undisputed number one midfielder for that long.
Rance is arguably the GOAT defender. Judd is not arguably the GOAT midfielder (not even close).

Rance would be in the greatest 22 of all time. Judd wouldn’t be close.
And of course Judd’s first fifty games were better than Rance’s first fifty. Key defenders take longer to find their feet at AFL level.

Rance is an all time great who changed the game. Every key defender is now being compared to him. No one compares midfielders to Judd. He just doesn’t have the same legacy that Rance does. No shame in that though.

Many ex players have said Rance is one of the greatest. Lethal said he was the GOAT.

GOAT recognises GOAT.

Leigh Matthews said he was the greatest defender in the modern era. Both Scarlett and Silvagni are modern era.

The rest have said he is in the conversation for the greatest defenders of all time.

He’s arguably the GOAT. Time to start accepting it.

I think that Richmond poster should be on medication.
poster is in the troubling position of living his life through that of his hero who he is probably in love with......

poster is in the troubling position of living his life through that of his hero who he is probably in love with......
Yep and he's using the word "sweetie" when addressing other posters, a real strange one who's doing the Tiger supporters proud.

not interested in his sexuality - just know that if he has a crush on a hero his bias is going to be off the charts - this guy one day at pp was completely besotted with mark maclure - it was hilarious actually..........oh mark, I love you..........leave him alone.........that was a mark!

not interested in his sexuality - just know that if he has a crush on a hero his bias is going to be off the charts - this guy one day at pp was completely besotted with mark maclure - it was hilarious actually..........oh mark, I love you..........leave him alone.........that was a mark!
It was me, and it was a mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Comparing what Rance did to assault is laughable. What Rance did has happened in every sport, ever.
Still waiting to see Roger Federer slam Djokovic's head onto the tennis court after he tripped over from one of his famous slide returns.

Back spinning drop shot close to the net and as the opponent runs in to volley, smash him in the head with your racquet.

Rance was a mediocre player until such a point as they had acquired enough lockdown defenders that they could exacerbate the area of his game that he excelled at -- being the best offensive sweeper in the D50 without additional responsibility in AFL history.

By that measure, Jacob Weitering is miles ahead of where Rance was as he has a solid defensive game in his arsenal and can attack the game when given opportunity.

I’m not going to compare Rance to SOS because for me he was in a league of his own. What I will say though is I think it was last season in our game against Richmond that he was the most dominant defender I have ever seen play live. It was a actually quite incredible and very much like junior football where you just wanted to keep the ball away from the big kid. The way he was making contests and cutting down space making us kick where we didn’t want to was unbelievable. It was a little bit like watching Cyril live where you have to see it to really appreciate it.
For mine he is no doubt a great of the game regardless of what role he played. I look at someone like Doc on our list who I think is an absolute star defender but does very little defending and gets a mountain of what people would call cheap possessions. Yet he is an absolute gun and vital to our side. Rance was this times two for Richmond. Times have changed and so has the way players play positions, what hasn’t is the influence they have on games and the way Rance impacted games makes him right in the conversation as one of the best of all time.
(Yes I know Jenkins, Cox ect had their way with him but I’ve also seen Similar with S.Selwood with Judd, Clarke with Cripps, Joseph with Ablett ect)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back