No Oppo Supporters Opposition posters say the strangest things - Carlton posters ONLY

Remove this Banner Ad

And finally the genius coach himself on Jacob Weitering and what he'd do if he was running the rebuild.

Last edited:
off the * board - please keep in mind they were annihilated by 10 goals plus and managed 3 for the entire game:

"While there are no excuses for the team to just fall away like that, likewise there is no excuse for the most biased umpiring game i've ever seen. Had the umpires called it objectively when the game mattered, we might have actually had a chance.

Gill McClachlan on Brownlow night,

3 Votes - Umpire Fischer
2 Votes - Umpire Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mumford high bump on Merrett, Shaw high bump on Townsend (doubt he’ll get up for wednesday), Dangerous tackle on Parish, Elbow to Wallas head. All would be looked at for suspensions if dons players, one free kick to Merrett.

Not an opposition poster, but give this a read.

To the AFL and its minions: you go hard when you want to – if Collingwood’s involved, it’s guaranteed.

But when it’s somebody else?

The rationalisations are astonishing.

It's a fantastic whinge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has a fair bit of truth to it
But to headline the article with the Quanor incident? I mean, if ever there was a case of completely accidental injury, that was it. The AFL acted as soon as the injury occurred, and have now banned the use of metal stops.

But prior to this incident, according to Nick Riewoldt and Johnathan Brown in one of the half-time shows, their use was rather widespread. So why would you single out this Swan's player just because he was the unfortunate one whose boots caused accidental damage?

I hate to say it, but it does put the 2 missed "stops out" frees to Carlton players in a new light. Given what happened to Quanor, imagine the damage that could have been done to SPS and Crippa?

Not an opposition poster, but give this a read.

It's a fantastic whinge.
Pathetic.

Stephenson should have missed the remainder of the season not the negotiated come back for the finals
Buckley and Sanderson should have received a 2 match suspension for breaching protocols not a fine (fines should only be for family members as you can't suspend Brooke Cotchin)
Sidebottom's penalty was in line with Hunters and less than what his president was recommending earlier in the year
McKenna actually missed a game and had to isolate for 2 weeks
Thomas and Keefe actually tested positive so it was an open and shut case

Easy way to stop all these "unfair penalties" Stop * up all the time

This is not the first time players from numerous teams have worn metal stops hence the reasonable reaction from the Pies.

But to headline the article with the Quanor incident? I mean, if ever there was a case of completely accidental injury, that was it. The AFL acted as soon as the injury occurred, and have now banned the use of metal stops.

But prior to this incident, according to Nick Riewoldt and Johnathan Brown in one of the half-time shows, their use was rather widespread. So why would you single out this Swan's player just because he was the unfortunate one whose boots caused accidental damage?

I hate to say it, but it does put the 2 missed "stops out" frees to Carlton players in a new light. Given what happened to Quanor, imagine the damage that could have been done to SPS and Crippa?
Not saying the self inflicted penalties for the Pies were wrong, agreeing with the author that certain other teams (* in particular) got let off far too lightly.

I don't disagree with that but the boots incident has me curious about why dangerous studs were allowed/ have been seemingly not policed.
For what it's worth, as someone who spent several years practicing the dark arts of a rugby forward (lock, then back row, then front row), my experience with steel studs is that they're actually 'better', provided the owner hasn't spent a bunch of time walking on concrete (although studs are checked before the game, so that was a non issue). I've been raked, stepped on, stomped on, walked over, and everything in between. I can't imagine anyone playing AFL is walking a km each way to training on tar/concrete footpaths, surely that couldn't be the case.

The steel sprigs have got big, round, smooth ends to them and while they are hard, they don't tend to do damage like the blade type molded sole boots. Those things were horrible, they'd scratch and cut you up if there was any movement or force applied.

For what it's worth, as someone who spent several years practicing the dark arts of a rugby forward (lock, then back row, then front row), my experience with steel studs is that they're actually 'better', provided the owner hasn't spent a bunch of time walking on concrete (although studs are checked before the game, so that was a non issue). I've been raked, stepped on, stomped on, walked over, and everything in between. I can't imagine anyone playing AFL is walking a km each way to training on tar/concrete footpaths, surely that couldn't be the case.

The steel sprigs have got big, round, smooth ends to them and while they are hard, they don't tend to do damage like the blade type molded sole boots. Those things were horrible, they'd scratch and cut you up if there was any movement or force applied.
Just how much difference is there between the modern metal stops and the old school footy removable screw-ins?

I used to love my screw-ins. Never fell over.

Not saying the self inflicted penalties for the Pies were wrong, agreeing with the author that certain other teams (* in particular) got let off far too lightly.
They did indeed. But it's just highly emotive, as well as completely unfair to use the Quanor incident to headline the whole rant. But hey, I guess that's what journo's of all stripes do ...

Just how much difference is there between the modern metal stops and the old school footy removable screw-ins?

I used to love my screw-ins. Never fell over.
I'm not sure how much has changed in the 10 years since I blew both my shoulders out and hung up my boots, but when I was playing there wasn't molded steel sprigs, they were all screw ins.

Perhaps there is 'permanent' steel (or composite plastic/steel) studs with the new boot tech and how light they are they've moved away from the screw in, getting rid of the embedded threaded boss in the outer sole would remove a good deal of weight (& cost) I imagine.

I liked the old-school Canterbury style ones, a real leather heavy boot but you had maybe 10 screw ins (as opposed to the classic Puma King type with just the 6) and could 'adjust' to the conditions. I had some different length sprigs that you would swap out depending on a hard dry deck or if it was getting sloppy. Would usually have 2 bigger ones under the ball of your foot, think where the weight is coming down while in a couched position, and shorter over the rest of the boot. The 'mud tyres' equivalent was a going the big 25mm (I think.. longest legal ones) all round, and if it's really bad you'd be trying to 'Charlie Chaplin' (rotating your foot sideways at the ankle to try and get your foot flatter on the ground to increase surface area) under leg drive in scrums/rucks/mauls/general-mess.

Having a quick look online now, it appears like screw ins are still an option. There are 'backs' specific boots (for running; combination of molded round studs and screw ins) and 'forward' specific boots (for scrummaging; all screw ins). The 'backs' boots would be what the footy players are using, I imagine, and might be what they're referring to when they talked about 'metal/plastic hybrid boots'.
1597124812051.png
1597124887759.png

Oh I know all about that, I have extensive history and have been studded by cricket spikes, easily the worst of the lot and been rushed to hospital for stitches after sprinting for a second run i collided with the bowler and the studs went throough my calf. No one in afl is walking around with their boots on anyway, it doesn't really change the point that something about the swans studs were likely abnormal. Which is weird.

Oh I know all about that, I have extensive history and have been studded by cricket spikes, easily the worst of the lot and been rushed to hospital for stitches after sprinting for a second run i collided with the bowler and the studs went throough my calf. No one in afl is walking around with their boots on anyway, it doesn't really change the point that something about the swans studs were likely abnormal. Which is weird.
D'you see the segment between games where they had Nick Riewoldt and Jonathan Brown on, and they showed footage of Mike Sheahan interviewing Steven Baker about how he used to sharpen his metal studs deliberately? When they confronted Nick - who was his captain, and clearly knew about it - he tried to shrug it off, and the show moved on about as quickly as the third person in the conversation (who was a presenter, not an expert) could.

The level on noise here suggests that this has been an open secret for a while now, that it's only really now that they - the media - have had an actionable image worth using, and so the establishment have moved very quickly and quietly to fix it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back