No Oppo Supporters Opposition posters say the strangest things - Carlton posters ONLY

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
D'you see the segment between games where they had Nick Riewoldt and Jonathan Brown on, and they showed footage of Mike Sheahan interviewing Steven Baker about how he used to sharpen his metal studs deliberately? When they confronted Nick - who was his captain, and clearly knew about it - he tried to shrug it off, and the show moved on about as quickly as the third person in the conversation (who was a presenter, not an expert) could.

The level on noise here suggests that this has been an open secret for a while now, that it's only really now that they - the media - have had an actionable image worth using, and so the establishment have moved very quickly and quietly to fix it.
I missed that segment. I know I've had run ins with people sharpenning studs in 18's football etc. Was hoping that it wasn't a thing at the top level.

D'you see the segment between games where they had Nick Riewoldt and Jonathan Brown on, and they showed footage of Mike Sheahan interviewing Steven Baker about how he used to sharpen his metal studs deliberately? When they confronted Nick - who was his captain, and clearly knew about it - he tried to shrug it off, and the show moved on about as quickly as the third person in the conversation (who was a presenter, not an expert) could.

The level on noise here suggests that this has been an open secret for a while now, that it's only really now that they - the media - have had an actionable image worth using, and so the establishment have moved very quickly and quietly to fix it.
Baker was a grub, somehow not surprised. The club knew and didn’t nothing, somehow not surprised. Kulcha

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Crows board

Or if COVID-19 didn't happen, the players might have not had to come back in worst condition, there was a large list turnover of senior players caused by the camp.

Imagine thinking that players from other clubs didn’t come back in very similar condition.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Broncos
With regards to the metal studs, our juniors were not allowed to wear them and I assumed at all levels they were not allowed. Most clubs still have bootstudders, but as most clubs are in hubs the boot studders may have not made the list of essential services and the players boots are now there responsibility. I would suggest that it was an oversight.

The studs I remember were a polished aluminium and therefore would be damaged by hard surfaces which would make them dangerous

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Referring to the one, the only, the mighty, Tom Hawkins. Franklin, Kennedy anyone?
There has not been a more dominant forward since Carey.

Without a doubt the most criminally underrated player of the last twenty years. He doesn't get as noticed because instead of kicking bags of ten, he is always looking to involve his teammates in the game.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Ha ha, i actually agree with him this week because i put him in my supercoach draft team, 205 f.....g points.
It's like they've completely forgotten Riewoldts Nick and Jack, Fev, Roughead, Barry Hall, Warren Tredrea, Brown, Lynch and Bradshaw at BL, Josh Kennedy, Buddy, Fraser Gehrig...

If he can successfully make the case that Hawkins is a better player (without bringing premierships into consideration) than Fraser Gehrig, who was the last person before Buddy to kick 100 in a season, I'll eat my hat. And Gehrig was not a better player than Fev, Hall or Roughead.

Nonsensical post.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
It's like they've completely forgotten Riewoldts Nick and Jack, Fev, Roughead, Barry Hall, Warren Tredrea, Brown, Lynch and Bradshaw at BL, Josh Kennedy, Buddy, Fraser Gehrig...

If he can successfully make the case that Hawkins is a better player (without bringing premierships into consideration) than Fraser Gehrig, who was the last person before Buddy to kick 100 in a season, I'll eat my hat. And Gehrig was not a better player than Fev, Hall or Roughead.

Nonsensical post.
I remember the day when they played Fev on Gehrig.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
It was a dominant performance, they never looked like stopping him and if he had held a couple more...
There was a period from 2009-2011 where he was genuinely as good as any I've ever seen, but let's get real here. In terms of all time greatness, he's an all time great in the sense that James Anderson of England is an all time great.

Longevity matters, but so does actual performance at his peak. How many goals would Josh Kennedy, Fev or even ******* Richo have kicked in front of that midfield for that many years?

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
There was a period from 2009-2011 where he was genuinely as good as any I've ever seen, but let's get real here. In terms of all time greatness, he's an all time great in the sense that James Anderson of England is an all time great.

Longevity matters, but so does actual performance at his peak. How many goals would Josh Kennedy, Fev or even ******* Richo have kicked in front of that midfield for that many years?

Best there has been? Not even close

But that's the beauty of Hawkins, a better modern day, team oriented version of Dunstall

Leads the league in goal assists and features heavily every year

I would take that over other, selfish forwards, that may have kicked more goals

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Best there has been? Not even close

But that's the beauty of Hawkins, a better modern day, team oriented version of Dunstall

Leads the league in goal assists and features heavily every year

I would take that over other, selfish forwards, that may have kicked more goals
The idea that Hawkins is a very good player and has been for a long time is not in dispute for me. The idea I'm arguing with, from the original post, is that he's "the best since Carey".

I don't think he is. I think he's a good player who's benefited from sitting in front of one of the best midfields for the majority of his career. I find the idea replete with recency bias and a celebrated ignorance of history, two things always guaranteed to get my goat up.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
The idea that Hawkins is a very good player and has been for a long time is not in dispute for me. The idea I'm arguing with, from the original post, is that he's "the best since Carey".

I don't think he is. I think he's a good player who's benefited from sitting in front of one of the best midfields for the majority of his career. I find the idea replete with recency bias and a celebrated ignorance of history, two things always guaranteed to get my goat up.

Agreed

But I still see Hawkins as one of the best "team" forwards the game has seen. Much more rounded as a player than many who have kicked more goals

He has adapted as the game has changed dramatically

Better or equal to Carey, no, but at the moment there are only 2 players that could surpass his goal tally, Cameron and Lynch

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Win, lose or draw, I have a tendency to go over to an opposition board to have a look at the responses to the game. Some teams are respectful; some teams we live on in their heads rent free, as though we never became s**t. I did what I normally do, and discovered that Freo don't have a postmatch thread, but allow their gameday to continue into a postmatch/autopsy.

This comes just before the final minute.

Nonsensical post.

Tony Lockett is the reason I started watching AFL.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow

I heard that discussion.I get that the old, check the boots and nails days are gone. Sure someone is accountable to see that legal apparel including footwear is being worn. Then again, are there an established set of guidelines about the boots being worn? I loved my first set of screw ins, protected them like gold.

Jun 19, 2018
frankston station
AFL Club
Carlton
If, and I know it’s a big if, the AFL was a real, serious sporting competition, the fact that Carlton deceived the umpire and had the incorrect player take the free kick Would be investigated, points stripped and the cheating scum fined.
But that won’t happen because the AFL is the joke of the sporting world.
i think this is possibly the best post to come out of that win. from the collingwood board.

If the AFL was a real, serious sporting competition, Collingwood would be treated as every other team and would travel interstate loads more often - but that won’t happen because the AFL is the joke of the sporting world.

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
42C9FFAE-BF7B-472C-9230-F5ADC99C02B5.jpeg

Newnes is clutch and Freo supporters are clutching at straws lel

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Not such a strange thing to say but hilarious all the same. Since last night when Jack Newnes kicked that after the siren.... well, when he ****ed s**t up. A bunch of threads showed up on the main board. My favourite has just been posted.

………………

Thread title: “Freo can only blame themselves..” (it’s been posted by a West Coast supporter so you know it’s going to be a good one)

Starts off like this...

Just saying. Seem most there supporter want to blame everything else except the one thing that's staring them in the eye

Not bad so far. Then it continues on.

They are just crap. No excuses. Just crap players. Crap coaches. Failed crap culture.

Just a second rate under pooring club that maybe the AFL needs to look into removing from the league.
If this was the EPL they would be demoted to some B grade league years ago.

Just not good enough to be in the AFL.

Last edited:
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
There's almost more outraged Adelaide fans than Freo on the main board autopsy...
Same rubbery interpretations of the rules favouring the same teams. It’s a “professional” competition being run as a sub-professional (Victorian) suburban league and that’s exactly how they like it.

Could be time to find a new sport.
Can’t wait for the next scripted VFL “fairytale”.

Cue the Jonah Hill meme: “I barrack first a non-Victorian team - **** me, right?”

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
And one extremely salty Richmond supporter...
Worst administered sporting code in the world, leading directly to the worst officiated sporting code in the world.

If they don't reverse this result they arent serious. But they aren't serious..their ambition is AFLX-style entertainment. And tonight seemed totally scripted like WWE, with the Blues/Umps playing the heels.
as i have said, decisions good or bad happen all the time, distributed evenly. But that was very different, a cluster of 5-6 manifestly incorrect decisions all in one direction, the umps seemingly being overwhelmed and simply led by whatever the blues wanted to do.

I would have no issue if that game was investigated. Probably only one of two AFL games in my life I would say that about.

That's an outside opinion, as a supporter I don't expect you to agree.
yeah I agree, very likely gross incompetence from the umps, who just lost it in the moment and became jelly letting Carlton players suggest to them what should happen.

Having said that, while we all like to kid ourselves that match fixing is remote and ridiculous, plenty of recent examples remind us it is not, and all sports have to remain super vigilant.
as i have said, decisions good or bad happen all the time, distributed evenly. But that was very different, a cluster of 5-6 manifestly incorrect decisions all in one direction, the umps seemingly being overwhelmed and simply led by whatever the blues wanted to do.

I would have no issue if that game was investigated. Probably only one of two AFL games in my life I would say that about.

That's an outside opinion, as a supporter I don't expect you to agree.

And one extremely salty Richmond supporter...
Assuming he missed the two early goals Freo received from bewildering free kick decisions directly in front of goal?

Back