Opposition Supporters say the darndest things.

Riewoldt was 2006, we picked Howard before Fyfe in 2009. Also Tutt before Gawn and Astbury in that same draft.

Thanks for the correction, fortunately time is eroding the memory. :)

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Touche. Maybe Scott Clayton was a Malthouse-esque infiltrator from the Lions?? /s
I always thought there was something suss about Clayton. He inevitably picked utter shite. It's as if he was planted to ensure we blew every decent pick we had. We thrived when he left....
Much like Dodo is a joint venture Carlton and Collingwood plant :thumbsu:

Philthy1

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I always thought there was something suss about Clayton. He inevitably picked utter sh*te. It's as if he was planted to ensure we blew every decent pick we had. We thrived when he left....
Much like Dodo is a joint venture Carlton and Collingwood plant :thumbsu:
As bas as he was Scotty Clayton was no Mark Kleiman.

Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wow what you’re really saying is you don’t rate Grundy.

Let’s look at that to start with. Grundy is at his peak and is arguably the most dominant Ruck in the comp. Easily worth two top 10 first rounders. And one of those picks would have to in the top 3. A dominant player across the ground of his ilk is worth no less. As there is not one kid in this draft or the next 10 that can replace his current output.

So now that we’ve established his worth. Let’s look at the others mentioned.

Tim English. As good a young up coming kid he is. He is still 3-4 years away from producing the consistent output that Grundy is. Don’t just look at stats. Look at the one percenters that don’t get quantified. And currently no one would give them anymore than what they gave for him. But I’ll be generous. We’ll say that Tim has been elevated to a top 10 pick now.

Bailey Smith. A really good talent and what you would expect from a pick 7 in a draft. Considering the previous 6 picks before him are just as talented. I don’t know of two many sides that would be giving up any more than what the Dogs used to get Bailey unfortunately. But I’ll be more accommodating. Let’s say Bailey is now worth a top 3 pick. Let’s hope he continues his upward trajectory.

So now we really get to the argument. As Grundy has covered both the Dogs concerns of worth. Is Ed Richards worth more than an early second round pick. Let’s say mid 20’s. The Dogs used pick 16. So looking at it closer Richards does tip the scale in Collingwood’s favor. But Collingwood don’t need Richards types as we have those. He was just for nostalgia. But you have to give a little to get what you need.

With Grundy the Dogs become a genuine chance to flag. Without him it’s a role of the dice on a week to week basis.

I’m sure that a lot of the Dogs supporters here are just like Collingwood supporters sometimes they can’t see the forest from the trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently if we wanted Grundy, that'd cost us Tim English (best young ruck in the competition), Bailey Smith (best young midfielder in the competition), and Ed Richards (handy flanker/wing who could be anything).

Tough decisions to be made...

VogonProsthetnic

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Beaufort
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Carlton have a good list, but they have done it by paying money for established players. Mc Govern, Betts, Martin, Plowman, Docherty, Kennedy, Jones etc.. will get them to the bottom of the 8, but will they get any better.

Worst of all they missed out totally on the first rounds oflast years draft totally and look how good they are now looking. Cripps, Weitering and Walsh Are going to carry a huge weight in the coming years.

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
008BB447-8DE0-409A-BBA5-B2A111733025.jpeg

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
As bas as he was Scotty Clayton was no Mark Kleiman.
I think the Scott Clayton bashing here is over the top.

Yes he made some bad mistakes which have been highlighted.

But the 99 draft was outstanding and some other late picks like Lake, Cross and Wood were great, and speculative picks like Minson were also great.

Yes it would have been great if he recruited one more quality key position player that could of played in the 09 prelim, which could have got us over the line that night.

The club finished in the top 4 for three years consecutively for the first time its history largely based on the players he drafted.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hate for us is definitely at an all time high at the minute. Throw in an already successful team that looks like it could do it again, a few Chol butt grabs, oppo fans realising that yes we are just as good away from the G, Cotch’s mrs getting a bit of a pamper (love you Brooke wouldn’t change a thing), Lynch never getting suspended, Dimma calling out campaigners, and us as a supporter base that refuse to take an ounce of crap... and here we are.

And I love it.
Who’s David Shwartz. Never heard of him

A bog average forward for Melbourne during the 90's who made a lot of risky investments in horse races.

The Richmond board is saltier than the main board at all times.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think you can just put all Richmond fans in here, what a bunch of arrogant campaigners.
I was born after their long, successful part of their history. After seeing two Tiger premierships and the return of arrogance. I now understand why they are hated.

Last edited:
The Richmond board is saltier than the main board at all times.

Underneath all the mouthiness, they are a supporter base scarred by 30 years of being a joke of a club. The only club in history that finished 5th and lost to the 9th based team.

Back