Oppo Camp Opposition supporters say the strangest things

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hadn't heard or read Pearce's comments, so I thought I'd look them up to see whether she'd been taken out of context. Alas:

“I started thinking about the argument of who is the best player ever to have played the game,” Pearce told SEN’s Bob and Andy.

“I think Dustin Martin is the best player to have ever played the game."

Breathtakingly bad call.

I hadn't heard or read Pearce's comments, so I thought I'd look them up to see whether she'd been taken out of context. Alas:

“I started thinking about the argument of who is the best player ever to have played the game,” Pearce told SEN’s Bob and Andy.​
“I think Dustin Martin is the best player to have ever played the game."​

Breathtakingly bad call.
was probably told she needed her click numbers up.

Finally, some sanity in what rapidly became an utterly ridiculous discussion. The quotes in that article from Hawks players alone tell you everything you need to know about this 'debate', which is perhaps best summarised in just three words...

Not. Even. Close.

The one from Peter Curran was interesting. Thought he was the best player he'd ever seen after playing reserves football with him.

Possibly.

"What's the dumbest thing I could possibly say about footy?"
"Yep that'll do it."
When you have all these normally vanilla players in the media making 'controversial' statements, usually centered around Top Blah-Blah articles or comments, I can only think they do it to generate outrage/argument/debate etc. on the comments pages and forums. Even Ling does it once a year.

[Disclaimer: I am highly cynical when it comes to the media in this day and age.]

When you have all these normally vanilla players in the media making 'controversial' statements, usually centered around Top Blah-Blah articles or comments, I can only think they do it to generate outrage/argument/debate etc. on the comments pages and forums. Even Ling does it once a year.

[Disclaimer: I am highly cynical when it comes to the media in this day and age.]

Cynical all you want, it's the truth.
Modern "journalism" is less about truth and honesty (or not at all) and 100% about generating clicks and ad revenue.

It's not often I get nostalgic, but I'll be damned if seeing Gary weave his magic on the grass at KP and elsewhere weren't some of the most enjoyable moments of my life.
I clearly remember having to be at home studying but id be listening to Rex on 3aw and whilst not everyones cup of tea - the 2 of them in full flight was a great listen.

And yes - there really is no debate to be had. The number of bums on seats that he himself drew in is the difference maker for me.
They are all great players and did their their things to the game
Carey, Dunstall, Martin et al dont pull bums on seats like GAS did - especially non GFC supporters.

GO Catters

“I started thinking about the argument of who is the best player ever to have played the game,” Pearce told SEN’s Bob and Andy.

“I think Dustin Martin is the best player to have ever played the game."

Breathtakingly bad call.
The whole thing is just recency bias. He's the best right now and people forget the past

The whole thing is just recency bias. He's the best right now and people forget the past

Just googled it - Daisy was born in 1988, so she'd have been 8 when senior retired, so she either didn't see him in his prime, or simply doesn't remember it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am glad I banked it. I was around long enough. Apology please.

I'll save Daz the trouble....no apology...not given, not warranted.

You are not wanted here...stay away...and don't return. This is a polite warning...dont post here..not even once. A serious infraction will follow.

You have been warned. Please don't test me.

Go away....and stay away.

Thank you....enjoy the season.

I am glad I banked it. I was around long enough. Apology please.
1 - Take a deep breath.
2 - Hold it.
3 - Pass out as you'll still be waiting for whatever it is you are looking for.
4 - Fall gently into something soft and continue holding said breath
5- Head back to Tugger board and dream of things yellow and black.
6- Dont think of replying - you will be banned.
You've already had your warning.

Go Catters

Is this a Richmond supporter whining about a home ground advantage for Geelong?....you know, the Richmond that plays game after game after game after game on the MCG...sometimes consecutively before the finals?

Ahh, ok then....

Last edited:
I read Scott Pendleburys comments on the Telstra AFL News site

Like champion player and all the rest of it - but i thought he made some very good comments/suggestions re changes they should make

Hes 32 - and he said the worst thing at present ( and he thinks most players would agree ) is the preseason 4-5 mths goes for far too long - he suggests it should be about 2 mths - he would rather play more games - whether thats playing everyone twice - or a different finals format

He reckons - that players want to play - and the preseason is miles too long

I read Scott Pendleburys comments on the Telstra AFL News site

Like champion player and all the rest of it - but i thought he made some very good comments/suggestions re changes they should make

Hes 32 - and he said the worst thing at present ( and he thinks most players would agree ) is the preseason 4-5 mths goes for far too long - he suggests it should be about 2 mths - he would rather play more games - whether thats playing everyone twice - or a different finals format

He reckons - that players want to play - and the preseason is miles too long
So all those comments about the season going too long are from fans with a short attention span?

I'm quite enjoying the thread on the main board accusing us of having an unfair advantage in having our own home ground to play on.
Has anyone else noticed that the complaints about our home ground being too narrow only started in 2017 when the new Brownlow Stand was finished. In the preceding 66 years before that the width of our home ground has never been mentioned. And it was only this summer that the cricket commentators decided to catch on and start making a big deal about the width of our ground.

I'm quite enjoying the thread on the main board accusing us of having an unfair advantage in having our own home ground to play on.
Has anyone else noticed that the complaints about our home ground being too narrow only started in 2017 when the new Brownlow Stand was finished. In the preceding 66 years before that the width of our home ground has never been mentioned. And it was only this summer that the cricket commentators decided to catch on and start making a big deal about the width of our ground.
Sorry can't agree with that bit.

"My main emotion coming away from this game is gratitude that Geelong play blockbusters and finals at the MCG. I would be furious if I was a Cats supporter. Having an exclusive home ground like that is a massive advantage which they basically forego in favour of some extra cash. I sincerely hope nobody cottons onto that any time soon."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back