Oppo Camp Opposition supporters say the strangest things

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
GAS the best I have seen but Dusty's record will be very impressive at his career's end and in some people's mind will include him in the GOAT debate.

Also Dusty is a great player who's won 3 Norm Smith medals but I was lucky enough to see Ablett and Carey and not putting him down but Dusty isn't close to them at all.
And I didn't even see Gaz at his best in the 80's.
At this stage would have Dusty ahead of Judd and Goodes. Not necessarily cause he's a better player. He's not.
But just the GF performances. They matter.

Norm is a great award but super overrated. Of course, it's great because if you win one then you probably won the flag too whilst showing up on the day.

But all you gotta do is show up for less than 120min to win it. It's not like an NBA Finals MVP where a series could be 7 games long.

Norm is a great award but super overrated. Of course, it's great because if you win one then you probably won the flag too whilst showing up on the day.

But all you gotta do is show up for less than 120min to win it. It's not like an NBA Finals MVP where a series could be 7 games long.
Wouldn’t say it’s overrated considering without him we would be 2020 premiers
Not going to win this argument but stay tuned for it in 5-10 years because the way he’s tracking. The conversation will happen

Wouldn’t say it’s overrated considering without him we would be 2020 premiers
Not going to win this argument but stay tuned for it in 5-10 years because the way he’s tracking. The conversation will happen
They kicked 9 goals to 2 in the second half.
It's not like we were the better team and they only won cause they had Dusty.
Great player though.

Who knows what happens at the end of his career
If he wins another brownlow or 2 and another norm or 2 the argument is going to be hard to fight for
Ah yes Brownlows as a measure of greatness. Ignore chicken winging, eye gouging and pressure points and award one; remember that Melbourne player that won one he had dyed blonde hair. Remember who awards the votes, the very ones who can't see free kick for trying. Remember midfielders win them

Ah yes Brownlows as a measure of greatness. Ignore chicken winging, eye gouging and pressure points and award one; remember that Melbourne player that won one he had dyed blonde hair. Remember who awards the votes, the very ones who can't see free kick for trying. Remember midfielders win them
Wowodin was one of the only true Brownlows in many years.
Was awarded it cause he was considered the best player of that single year, not because of reputation, media or looking at the stats sheets after the game.

Also Dusty is a great player who's won 3 Norm Smith medals but I was lucky enough to see Ablett and Carey and not putting him down but Dusty isn't close to them at all.
And I didn't even see Gaz at his best in the 80's.
At this stage would have Dusty ahead of Judd and Goodes. Not necessarily cause he's a better player. He's not.
But just the GF performances. They matter.

Ablett is still the best I’ve seen. And second isn’t even close. Someone out of Greg Williams, Lockett, Carey, and Gary junior.

Martin is still top drawer, and he’s been a fantastic player for more than four years. For what it’s worth I’d also have him comfortably ahead of Judd and Goodes. I think he is easily better than both. Judd’s peak was great, but that really was only a few years.

Legitimate “greatest ever” to me is a tiny, tiny group. I’d seriously only consider around 6-8 names.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wowodin was one of the only true Brownlows in many years.
Was awarded it cause he was considered the best player of that single year, not because of reputation, media or looking at the stats sheets after the game.

Good call. Same reason I enjoyed it when Priddis won it. It’s awarded for one high class year, unfortunately a lot of superstar midfielders now get Brownlow votes on reputation.

He’s better than Franklin I would say. Has to do more to catch Ablett.

I don't think so on Buddy.

302 games and 950 goals.

7th all-time in goals, after missing 10+ games in 2019 and the whole of 2020. He'd be past Ablett and closing in on Wade had he played those seasons with his current record.

To kick 1000 goals in this era is absolutely absurd.

Good call. Same reason I enjoyed it when Priddis won it. It’s awarded for one high class year, unfortunately a lot of superstar midfielders now get Brownlow votes on reputation.
For sure. Its like Russell Crowe winning the Academy Award for Gladiator now.
Well he's the best actor and been unlucky the last couple of years, we'll just give him one.

302 games and 950 goals.

7th all-time in goals, after missing 10+ games in 2019 and the whole of 2020. He'd be past Ablett and closing in on Wade had he played those seasons with his current record.

Except it’s not just “in this era”. He started in 2005. He’s been playing an awful long time. Almost entirely in strong teams too.

302 games and 950 goals.

Due entirely to games played though, he's kicked 100 goals less in 50 more games than GAS, who didn't play as a stay at home forward until he was 32.
He's the greatest goalkicker since Lloyd of course but GOAT talk is a bit out there.

Ablett is still the best I’ve seen. And second isn’t even close. Someone out of Greg Williams, Lockett, Carey, and Gary junior.

Martin is still top drawer, and he’s been a fantastic player for more than four years. For what it’s worth I’d also have him comfortably ahead of Judd and Goodes. I think he is easily better than both. Judd’s peak was great, but that really was only a few years.

Legitimate “greatest ever” to me is a tiny, tiny group. I’d seriously only consider around 6-8 names.
Unfortunately I never got to see Lockett in the 80's.
But 3 of those players you've mentioned Gazsnr, Carey and Williams are the only players I've seen on rare occasions look like they're in a different league.
As in so far ahead it's like an 18yo playing in the u/14's.
No other players I've seen like that.
Players like Dunstall, Buddy, Mcleod, Gazjnr have been f**king amazing at times but not like that. Not where you just shake your head.

I believe Ablett senior is the GOAT, but I'd also have Ablett junior ahead of Dusty as well. I doubt Dusty could do anything near as much as what Gaz did when he was playing with a bunch of kids up on the Gold Coast. The Suns were on the verge of making the finals in 2014 before Gaz injured his shoulder towards the end of that season.

IMO, it was only when Prestia, and to a lesser extent Caddy arrived at Punt Road in 2017 which allowed Dusty to spend more time forward of the contest where he truly became as dangerous a player as he is now.

I don’t rate it because it’s a once a year event whereas the Brownlow medal is won over 22 games

Last edited:
Except it’s not just “in this era”. He started in 2005. He’s been playing an awful long time. Almost entirely in strong teams too.
Another player who lost his career 4 to 5 years early has ended up in 31st place for all time goals. A guy who was a total flog and should’ve ended up on around 900 goals which would be top ten. A player that could’ve given 1000 a shake had he fixed his off field problems & also received the great service that Lance Franklin got for a decade. I always found the guy to be a lot better than Buddy.

Due entirely to games played though, he's kicked 100 goals less in 50 more games than GAS, who didn't play as a stay at home forward until he was 32.
He's the greatest goalkicker since Lloyd of course but GOAT talk is a bit out there.

It’s absolutely out there. Good player. But seriously as far as forwards go, I doubt he’d be in my top ten.

You realise he's the only player since Lockett in 1998 to kick 100 in a season. Let's not act like forwards were kick 100 goals in the 2000s onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back