Oppo Camp Opposition supporters say the strangest things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Have Sydney had the best list since 2014?
I reckon they have when fully fit. Plus to me Buddy is the best and most dangerous player in the game.
I don't mind CS copping some s**t for bad finals performances but personally I think Longmire deserves way more. Gets off very lightly for some reason.

These are also idiotic pastimes. But pokies are easily the dumbest.
Agree, I cannot fathom the interest in losing money from any of those pursuits. When Paul Clitheroe coached me for my ASX Dealer's Licence, he said: "Never put money into anything that has to be fed."

I enjoy a different kind of pokies <nudge, nudge>

:p

Like:
hokey-pokey-ice-cream.jpg

Yum! Me too!

Or:
POKEY_HOKEY.jpg

It's the birth of a new rivalry
Make Richmond fans fire up a bit more by making them play at KP lol

Birth of a new rivalry? :rolleyes:

Because they beat Geelong for the first time in 16 years?

This was their history -v- Geelong, prior to 2017:

14 TERRIBLE RICHMOND V GEELONG NUMBERS
1. Richmond hasn’t beaten Geelong since 2006.

2. The Tigers have won one of their past 21 games against Geelong. Over the past 35 years the record is 41-7 Geelong’s way.

3. The last time Richmond defeated Geelong at the MCG was Round 12, 1999.

4. Damien Hardwick has never beaten Geelong as coach — the only team he is yet to record a win against.

5. Geelong’s 13-game winning streak against Richmond is its third-longest ever. The Cats won 16 in a row against St Kilda from 1897-1903 and 26 in a row against North Melbourne from the Kangaroos’ entry into the VFL in 1925 until 1936.

6. It is the second-longest current winning streak in the AFL, behind North Melbourne’s 16-game run against Melbourne. In a possible plus for the Tigers, Hawthorn’s 14-game winning run against Carlton and St Kilda’s 14-game winning streak against Melbourne both ended this year ... so, streaks are made to be broken.

7. Richmond hasn’t won a final since 2001. Since then its September record is 0-3. In that time Geelong has played in 28 finals, winning 15 including the 2007, 2009 and 2011 premierships.

8. There is no current player who has lost to Richmond in a final. The last surviving one was Dustin Fletcher, who played in the 1995 second semi-final.

9. The last time Richmond won a final on September 8 was 1928. It has lost three finals played on that date since then. Geelong has played three finals on September 8 in its history for one win and two losses (including a surprise loss to Fremantle at the MCG in 2012).

10. In 1995, one of two years since 1982 that Richmond has had the double chance, it was beaten by Geelong in the preliminary final.

11. Of the 38 players who have appeared for Richmond in 2017, Dion Prestia is the only one to have played in a win against Geelong (he had 20 disposals in the Suns’ 40-point victory in 2014).
The Tigers could boost their credentials by picking Shaun Hampson, who played in a win for Carlton against the Cats in 2009, or Ivan Maric who defeated Geelong twice as a Crow. Bizarrely Bachar Houli, Shaun Grigg and Toby Nankervis all played against the Cats for other clubs but lost every time. Even Jacob Townsend played two games against Geelong as a Giant for two defeats.

12. Andrew Mackie is the only current Geelong player to lose against Richmond playing for Geelong.

13. Geelong inflicted Richmond’s worst-ever loss, a 157-point thumping in 2007.

14. Gary Ablett Sr played 20 games for Geelong against Richmond from 1982-96, winning 18 of them and kicking 117.62 including hauls of 14, 12 (twice), 10 and eight (twice). The most goals kicked by a Richmond player against Geelong is eight — by Kevin Bartlett in the 1980 second semi-final and Michael Roach in 1986.

Win/Loss - Current Richmond Players
Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 13.01.54.png

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...o/news-story/9a80fb763508a82b4e4e4c447640fc10

They talk about this 8-2 finals record against us, well it wouldn't have anything to do with how between 1983 and 2017 they only made finals 6 times, and the one other time we played them we beat them by almost 100 points.
Perhaps more to the point is that their Finals 8-2 record over Geelong actually goes back to 1921 lol

Finals Geelong -v- Richmond
1995 Preliminary Final Geelong by 89
1980 Semi-Final 2 Richmond by 24
1969 Semi-Final 1 Richmond by 118
1967 Grand Final Richmond by 9
1934 Semi-Final 2 Richmond by 84
1933 Prelim Final Richmond by 9
1931 Grand Final Geelong by 20
1931 Semi-Final 2 Richmond by 33
1921 Semi-Final Richmond by 61

Doesn't look so great now?

Especially for BotsMaster
2017 QF 2 - Richmond by 51

Last edited:
They talk about this 8-2 finals record against us, well it wouldn't have anything to do with how between 1983 and 2017 they only made finals 6 times, and the one other time we played them we beat them by almost 100 points.

In 2007 we flogged them with a 157 point thumping :thumbsu:

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
I reckon they have when fully fit. Plus to me Buddy is the best and most dangerous player in the game.
I don't mind CS copping some s**t for bad finals performances but personally I think Longmire deserves way more. Gets off very lightly for some reason.
Well this was the list going into 2017:
upload_2018-1-17_13-14-6.png

**** Richmond
Hahahahahaha!

A dear Geelong friend + I made that our catchcry lol Every time we've heard anything about Richmond since the GF, we both say that + laugh!

Just started a Jarryd Roughead is a s**t captain thread in the bay. Get this vibe on there he is a protected species. Will be interesting to see if it's deleted or it sparks genuine outrage rather than just usual banter.

Will be beautiful seeing the reaction editing his name out with Joel Selwoods. A captain who has taken his team to finals countlessly and can play football.
Probably has to do with his Cancer scare/treatment/recovery. For some reason he's become a saint :rolleyes:

Some gems from our friends at Punt Road in the "Whose list is in the most trouble age wise?" thread on the main board...

And my personal favourite...

Oh dear indeed....
Dunning-Kruger Effect obviously

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong

Longmire gets away with a lot. Only flag came on the back of Hawks shitting the bed in the GF in 2012 but the team had an ethos and work rate that came from having "no superstars" and they looked like a champion team rather then a team of champions.

Then they got Buddy, and it seems that if he doesn't fire, they don't. They have way less money in the cap to accommodate better players so for the past few years they look like a team that has Buddy and 4 other high end players, a lot of players in the middle tier, and they rely on an academy or rookie player to have a break out each year in the position they lack.

someday-somehow

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2006
The Hills
AFL Club
Geelong
Until you lose more than you can afford to. Which sadly is a huge reality for many many people. And yep plenty who have never been affected by problem gambling will blow it off with "idiots who can't afford shoulder gamble"

But it's proven scientifically that gambling addicts are as broken and unable to control it as alcoholics and drug addicts. And, corporate gambling organisations employ psychologists to help develop pokies, venues and advertising to hook and keep problem gamblers in venues until they've spent everything they have. It's morally criminal and destroys thousands and thousands of families all over this country every year.

But yeah - it's a bit of fun. For some. For others it means kids will wake up to no Chrissy presents this weekend.
Absolutely spot on. To top that off our state and federal governments make so much money out of gambling that they refuse to outlaw these blights on our society, they just offer platitudes and weak "self-help" programs that are clearly leaned towards putting all the responsibility on the gambler and none on the venues making ridiculous amounts of money. Pokies venues don't care about the occasional gambler, they want the hardcore, addicted gambler cos that's where they make their money no ifs, ands or buts!

I am also quite ashamed that our great club makes money from these machines. I admire the kangaroos as a club for making a stand and deliberately not going down that path as a source of revenue (I hope that's still the case).
I also find it really ironic that the "family club" when run by the beyond blue president Jeff Kennett had revenue sources from many pokies venues.

Glorious moment that kick started that team into greatness

A massive big FU to the Tigers that day
I've been fortunate to see some wonderful Geelong wins -v- Richmond, my favourite was when GAS kicked 14 at the MCG in 1989.

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
Probably has to do with his Cancer scare/treatment/recovery. For some reason he's become a saint :rolleyes:

After that malistic snipe on one of our players (can't remember who) I was convinced he was just a wild thug not a mature responsible individual or captain material.

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
Make Richmond fans fire up a bit more by making them play at KP lol

Birth of a new rivalry? :rolleyes:

Because they beat Geelong for the first time in 16 years?

This was their history -v- Geelong, prior to 2017:

14 TERRIBLE RICHMOND V GEELONG NUMBERS
1. Richmond hasn’t beaten Geelong since 2006.

2. The Tigers have won one of their past 21 games against Geelong. Over the past 35 years the record is 41-7 Geelong’s way.

3. The last time Richmond defeated Geelong at the MCG was Round 12, 1999.

4. Damien Hardwick has never beaten Geelong as coach — the only team he is yet to record a win against.

5. Geelong’s 13-game winning streak against Richmond is its third-longest ever. The Cats won 16 in a row against St Kilda from 1897-1903 and 26 in a row against North Melbourne from the Kangaroos’ entry into the VFL in 1925 until 1936.

6. It is the second-longest current winning streak in the AFL, behind North Melbourne’s 16-game run against Melbourne. In a possible plus for the Tigers, Hawthorn’s 14-game winning run against Carlton and St Kilda’s 14-game winning streak against Melbourne both ended this year ... so, streaks are made to be broken.

7. Richmond hasn’t won a final since 2001. Since then its September record is 0-3. In that time Geelong has played in 28 finals, winning 15 including the 2007, 2009 and 2011 premierships.

8. There is no current player who has lost to Richmond in a final. The last surviving one was Dustin Fletcher, who played in the 1995 second semi-final.

9. The last time Richmond won a final on September 8 was 1928. It has lost three finals played on that date since then. Geelong has played three finals on September 8 in its history for one win and two losses (including a surprise loss to Fremantle at the MCG in 2012).

10. In 1995, one of two years since 1982 that Richmond has had the double chance, it was beaten by Geelong in the preliminary final.

11. Of the 38 players who have appeared for Richmond in 2017, Dion Prestia is the only one to have played in a win against Geelong (he had 20 disposals in the Suns’ 40-point victory in 2014).
The Tigers could boost their credentials by picking Shaun Hampson, who played in a win for Carlton against the Cats in 2009, or Ivan Maric who defeated Geelong twice as a Crow. Bizarrely Bachar Houli, Shaun Grigg and Toby Nankervis all played against the Cats for other clubs but lost every time. Even Jacob Townsend played two games against Geelong as a Giant for two defeats.

12. Andrew Mackie is the only current Geelong player to lose against Richmond playing for Geelong.

13. Geelong inflicted Richmond’s worst-ever loss, a 157-point thumping in 2007.

14. Gary Ablett Sr played 20 games for Geelong against Richmond from 1982-96, winning 18 of them and kicking 117.62 including hauls of 14, 12 (twice), 10 and eight (twice). The most goals kicked by a Richmond player against Geelong is eight — by Kevin Bartlett in the 1980 second semi-final and Michael Roach in 1986.

Win/Loss - Current Richmond Players
View attachment 451641
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...o/news-story/9a80fb763508a82b4e4e4c447640fc10
Thanks for the stats Kitty but you are forgetting some very big stats...

Since September 8th 2017 the win/loss record between Geelong and Richmond is as follows:
(W-D-L)
Geelong 0-0-1
Richmond 1-0-0

Premierships:
Geelong 0
Richmond 1

Richmond inflicted Geelong's biggest finals loss of 51pts since the 2004 1st Qualifying Final against Port Adelaide (55pts)*

*Superseded by the 2017 Adelaide prelim of 61pts.

Nov 30, 2000
No longer in a premiership drought
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
LUFC/MSRLC/MVFC

"The Bloods culture". :rolleyes:

After that malistic snipe on one of our players (can't remember who) I was convinced he was just a wild thug not a mature responsible individual or captain material.
Also*******lutely! He's always been a sniping thug! Most of Poos+Wees players are.

Thanks for the stats Kitty but you are forgetting some very big stats...

Since September 8th 2017 the win/loss record between Geelong and Richmond is as follows:
(W-D-L)
Geelong 0-0-1
Richmond 1-0-0

Premierships:
Geelong 0
Richmond 1

Richmond inflicted Geelong's biggest finals loss of 51pts since the 2004 1st Qualifying Final against Port Adelaide (55pts)*

*Superseded by the 2017 Adelaide prelim of 61pts.
I didn't forget them, my post stated 'prior to 2017'

I’m often surprised that the deluded opposition supporters really doesn’t grasp that we had a complete rebuild with very low picks compaired to other teams in a similar time period. I think we have done well to remain in contention while rebuilding from one of the club’s best team list in its history.

I guess they only look at the poor final displays and won’t look at the bigger picture.
That post above, where the Tigers' fan said Geelong should have followed Tigers' recruiting had nfi of your comment, bolded above ^^^

Classic Dunning–Kruger Syndrome aka Mount Stupid or Smug Snake :rolleyes:

RIchmond has easily the worst list bar Collingwood 90’s team to win a flag, but they played together very well.

I hope our list can start doing that with hopefully a more mature side and less injuries.

But **** me I’m over the Tigers numbnuts acting like they have the best list in history, enjoy the flag no doubt but tone it down abit please.

**** Richmond! ;)

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

So far yes, but I don't think he will as much anymore. They finished top twice in three years and couldn't win a flag, and after a terrible start to 2017 (entirely their own fault too), they not just lost to Geelong but got smashed. If his team suddenly isn't in contention their fans would be pretty justified in asking why not.

Opposition fans nuffies not only say the strangest things, they DO the strangest things

26903927_402280230210102_119037225102512598_n.jpg

26220292_398701843901274_2202884633536347720_o.jpg

26173061_398693510568774_745990272208217518_o.jpg

26169420_398673853904073_4144337579989657258_n.jpg

^^^ If only Dustin (Dusty) Martin would leave to play for another team!

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Perhaps more to the point is that their Finals 8-2 record over Geelong actually goes back to 1921 lol

So 1921; 1931; 1933; 1934; 1967; 1969; 1980; 2017.

Doesn't look so great now.

Actually 1933 should be included and 1995 taken out.

So the dates in bold were premiership years for them - 6 out of 8. A finals victory over Geelong historically augurs very well for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back